Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

How would a new contract for Julio affect paying for other players next year?

160 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

If you think taking Julio off the Falcons is like taking LeBron off the Cavs then we'll just disagree. Julio doesn't play special teams. Julio doesn't play defense. On offense Julio is one of 11 guys, and he is only in on 75% of the snaps.  It's not comparable to basketball, or the individual importance of star basketball players to their teams. Cavs would be nothing without LeBron, we would still be a good team without Julio.

I hear your point, and agree conceptually especially on LeBron. One could argue a healthy Warriors team would be a championship team even without Durant. 

But bigger point is I don't want to be a good team, I want us to have a great team. Won't be great without Julio. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I hear your point, and agree conceptually especially on LeBron. One could argue a healthy Warriors team would be a championship team even without Durant. 

But bigger point is I don't want to be a good team, I want us to have a great team. Won't be great without Julio. 

I'm with you on our offense needing Julio to be great. I also can see us improving our scoring from last season without him, the defense improving, and us being a better team than last year.

Vandy and FalconFanSince1970 like this

3 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

I'm with you on our offense needing Julio to be great. I also can see us improving our scoring from last season without him, the defense improving, and us being a better team than last year.

Really? Anything could happen I guess, but to me that's one heck of a stretch. 

Just now, Vandy said:

Really? To me, that's a heck of a stretch. 

Our offense was 15th in scoring last season. We threw a lot of picks. If we were top 5 then I'd agree, but the bar is set right at league average.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Really? To me, that's a heck of a stretch. 

To be fair, we would definitely be less talented without him, if you want to frame it that way.

6 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Our offense was 15th in scoring last season. We threw a lot of picks. If we were top 5 then I'd agree, but the bar is set right at league average.

That's cherry-picking stats though. Bottom line, we still went to 2nd round of playoffs. Hard for me seeing this team doing that without Jones, he's such an integral part of this offense. It could happen, eagles and vikes showed that last year despite losing some very important players, including both starting QBs. But odds are against you. . 

kiwifalcon likes this

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That's cherry-picking stats though. Bottom line, we still went to 2nd round of playoffs. Hard for me seeing this team doing that without Jones, he's such an integral part of this offense. It could happen, eagles and vikes showed that last year despite losing some very important players, including both starting QBs. But odds are against you. . 

Maybe our defense carries us again. That's where the mojo and momentum are right now.

Vandy and FalconFanSince1970 like this

13 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Julio is a valuable asset, no question about it. But with our quantity and quality of offensive weapons, he's not indispensable.

You're so right bro. Many here believe we couldn't survive without Julio. I don't subscribe to that theory at all. If I was runnin the Branch right now I'd be on the phone trying my damdest to find a sucker trade partner that wants to get explosive. If I couldn't find one I'd immediately go into hard ball mode. Call his bluff. I definitely wouldn't cave.

We already traded major draft capital and paid $63M for him. Still on the hook for $40M. He's holding out for more. Buddy is a beast but let him go rape some other team for five years. We really trying to get some rest here. No receiver like him has won a ring in over a decade. Elite WRs aint the key to a Lombardi folks. Our FO should know that after trying for seven years.

Dude still has injury concerns and maybe even a dropsie issue. I'd spread his 10 targets, 96 yards and 0.4 TDs per game to Free, Teco, Ridley, Sanu, Hoop, Hardy and some fringe WR or FB. Them boys wanna eat too and probably view this as a golden opportunity. We'd be harder to defend IMO. Like in 2016 when we spread the ball around.

The leading receiver on the last Championship team was a TE with 824 yards and six TDs. No doubt in my mind we could survive the loss of Julio. Especially if the defense and STs rise, which should happen. If we can't drive that big black and red Brotherhood Bus up the road to the mountain top without an ornament on the hood we're fkd. Trust me.

PokerSteve, Peyton and ltstorm2 like this

Wish this franchise would finally make a quality trade or too. Almost as if they are allergic to trading key players at key times? Or is it a part of the brotherhood policy idk.. Seems ironic to me.

As much as I don't like this situation there isn't a team out there that will give us proper value for Julio, especially now that the draft is over. I ain't about selling below market value.