Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duff_Man

Terrell McClain's Very Team Friendly Contract

13 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/6/13/17462312/terrell-mcclains-new-deal-is-heavy-on-the-incentives-comes-with-just-a-1-475-million-cap-hit

Terrell McClain signed with the Falcons for a contract that was originally reported as a one year deal worth over $4 million. That seemed a bit pricy for a team that had just used a third round pick on Deadrin Senat and already had Grady Jarrett and Jack Crawford at the position, but it was also an undeniable upgrade over what Atlanta had. The signing was rightly applauded at the time.

Now, though? McClain looks like a dang steal.

According to Over The Cap, Terrell McClain's deal with the #Falcons is a 1 year, $1.525M deal with $2.5M in NLTBE incentives (don't count against cap unless earned). Unbelievable coup by DQ and his staff. https://overthecap.com/player/terrell-mcclain/1687/ 

McClain might very well earn $4 million-plus in 2018, but he’ll do so by playing a lot and playing well. His base salary, if Over The Cap is correct, is absurdly cheap for a starting-caliber player, even if he’s best suited as a two down option. McClain’s role this year isn’t established just yet, but he should get plenty of run next to Grady Jarrett on obvious run downs, and he remains a solid player in that role. We’ll get a better sense of how these snaps are going to be divvied up as the summer rolls on, but suffice to say McClain’s likely to have a role larger than his base salary would suggest.

The Falcons now go four deep at defensive tackle, and assuming good health for Crawford and a solid rookie season from Senat, they may have one of the better groups in the NFL. This defense is full of riches, and McClain is a surprisingly affordable addition to the roster.

11 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Unbelievable coup by DQ and his staff.

Who actually did the work to get him, TD and DQ?  i would imagine DQ identified him, but i also think TD had to be in on the process too..

Good work nonetheless, we need all the cap space we can get!

red falcon and Tim Mazetti like this

I think this dude will be a key contributor this year gents.  He was sought after & he’s a fit.  He’ll be motivated to excel in the right scheme again & DQ will put him in position to be highly effective.

red falcon and Ergo Proxy like this

That makes sense.  We mostly thought he'd be around 2M/ yr and were surprised when it was 4.

But if it's 2 and only becomes 4 with big incentives...that's good for everybody.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Posted (edited)

I think this is why our cap was being reported at around 7 but then saw we are actually at almost 10mil.

Regardless of production only paying 1.5mil for a stop gap DT until next year's draft is a steal. TD and his bike rides out here doin work 

Edited by Dirtybird3

37 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

I think this is why or cap was being reported at around 7 but then saw we are actually at almost 10mil.

Regardless of production only paying 1.5mil for a stop gap DT until next year's draft is a steal. TD and his bike rides out here doin work 

Lol at TD and his bike rides