fuego

Breaking: Julio not attending minicamp

923 posts in this topic

http://mobile.atlantafalcons.com/news/minicamp/article-1/Falcons-release-statement-on-Julio-Jones/2173e233-a62e-4220-af45-bb2c58e66ce9

Falcons release statement on Julio Jones

facebook@2x.png twitter@2x.png

Helmets1_KL_151217_falcons_practice_0253

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff released the following statement on Julio Jonesicon-article-link.gif after players reported for minicamp on Monday:

"We have been in contact with Julio and his representation. We will not discuss those conversations publicly except to say we feel they have been productive and constructive. We understand the concerns and thoughts from their perspective.  Although not ideal, Julio informed us today he would not be attending mini-camp.

"We have much respect for him and what he means to our team, our city and our fans."

i hate when the team does this sh*t, they said there would be no problems and julio would be at minicamp now he wont. This team tries to avoid conflict and keep everything under wraps but ends up shooting them in the foot.

shock, Falx, RookieBird and 4 others like this

oh well....  It is what it is.  Work with who's there at camp.

But Julio.. you got 3 years left BRO!!!

Ball out this year and they'll extend you with 2 yrs left on your contract

You're good... but you're just 1 person

2 minutes ago, caponine said:

i hate when the team does this sh*t, they said there would be no problems and julio would be at minicamp now he wont. This team tries to avoid conflict and keep everything under wraps but ends up shooting them in the foot.

I hate when players that are 3 years into a 6 year deal that they signed and agreed to, start bitching about money when they're halfway into the deal that was market rate and fair when they signed. You signed the contract, honor the **** deal. The market always goes up after you sign, at this point just sign 1 year contracts for everyone if players won't honor contracts halfway through.

He's an amazing player, one of my favorite falcons ever, but 3 TD's and timely drops don't deserve more money especially with his injury problems. 

The only compromise I see in this situation is tack 2-3 years to the end of the deal at a current market rate and call it a day.

1 minute ago, Monolith2001 said:

Disappointing considering he has been lauded as a "no-drama" superstar but whatever...as long as he is ready for the season I'll just pout and live with it.

Yeah he's kind of officially turned into a diva now. Pretty disappointing.

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

This is why any talk during the offseason means absolute jack sh*t to me. Especially after last season.

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Whatever the Falcons give him to help him save face here, it's not going to be worth of damage that he's done to his reputation.

You sound crazy lol 

athell likes this

Just now, GANDI said:

Get your money while you can, Capitalism as a whole is designed to be dishonorable.  See no difference from sports that would change my opinion 

You are worth what the market tells you are worth...the market tells us Julio is worth more than what he is making.  Quite simple really.  Has nothing to do with being a "diva".  Has everything to do with market value and the market is ever changing.  Pay the man.

A quick glance around the league shows seven receivers who average more than Jones' $14.25 million per year, led by Pittsburgh's Antonio Brown at $17 million per year. When Jones signed a five-year, $71.25 million contract extension in August 2015, he received $47 million guaranteed -- the same amount of guaranteed money Jarvis Landry secured after being traded to Cleveland from Miami. Tampa Bay's Mike Evans tops all receivers with $55 million guaranteed as part of a five-year, $82.5 million extension he signed in March. Jones is set to make $10.5 million in 2018, 12th most among all receivers.

Just now, athell said:

You are worth what the market tells you are worth...the market tells us Julio is worth more than what he is making.  Quite simple really.  Has nothing to do with being a "diva".  Has everything to do with market value and the market is ever changing.  Pay the man.

A quick glance around the league shows seven receivers who average more than Jones' $14.25 million per year, led by Pittsburgh's Antonio Brown at $17 million per year. When Jones signed a five-year, $71.25 million contract extension in August 2015, he received $47 million guaranteed -- the same amount of guaranteed money Jarvis Landry secured after being traded to Cleveland from Miami. Tampa Bay's Mike Evans tops all receivers with $55 million guaranteed as part of a five-year, $82.5 million extension he signed in March. Jones is set to make $10.5 million in 2018, 12th most among all receivers.

Not sure why you brought this to me? I share your sentiments exactly lol 

athell likes this

If Julio plays the way he did in the 2016 playoffs from here on out I say pay the man. I would put something in his contact that gives him financial incentive to get more touchdowns and less drops.

jonnyblooz and TimeBomb like this