blkbigdog35

Entering Year 2, OC Steve Sarkisian ready to unleash Falcons

27 posts in this topic

"I think the biggest thing for me is just overall comfort level," Sarkisian said. "When I came in a year ago, it was learning the system that was in place. It was learning the players that were in place. In Year 2, I have a year into the system. Now can make some of the tweaks that I feel like are needed for this offense to continue to grow.

"I've got a really good understanding of every player and the things that they're really good at, the things that maybe they need to work on, the things that I would be wrong putting them in position to do. I think all of those things just put me in a much different level of comfort, where you just feel good every day walking in."

That's why Calvin Ridley was just an excellent pick and should be a smooth transition.

It took Matt a full year to adjust to this offense, yet we expected Sark to do it in an offseason. It took Kyle a full year and offseason to understand his personnel, yet Sark couldn't get that same opportunity? 

Sark wasn't the greatest, but he doesn't have to be. He doesn't have to pilot the 7th best scoring offense of all time. 25-28 ppg is very attainable with this group. I will not be surprised to see that be the end result. 

15 minutes ago, vel said:

It took Matt a full year to adjust to this offense, yet we expected Sark to do it in an offseason. It took Kyle a full year and offseason to understand his personnel, yet Sark couldn't get that same opportunity? 

Sark wasn't the greatest, but he doesn't have to be. He doesn't have to pilot the 7th best scoring offense of all time. 25-28 ppg is very attainable with this group. I will not be surprised to see that be the end result. 

Good post. Well thought out.

Yep. the Falcons' do not need an average of 33/game to go where they want.

papachaz, Herr Doktor, vel and 1 other like this

28pts per game is the minimum it will take for me to believe we're achieving to our level of talent on offense. If we finish outside the top 5 in scoring offense then we underachieved. You can't judge Sark in a vacuum, we have too much talent to set the bar at "pretty good." 

17 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly right. The same people that called for Ryan and Shanny's heads are the same who are calling for Sark's though. People were blasting Ryan after 2015 and saying he was on notice. He was booed at a Hawks game! Fans want results immediately. Nobody thinks rationally.

29 minutes ago, vel said:

Truth Vel and I think this offense is going to be dangerous again.

Another thing people ignore is how healthy Kyle's offense was in 2016 compared to Sark's in 2017. Kyle lost Tamme and that's about it. Sark lost Schraeder week two and he was never fully himself after coming back. Lost Freeman for two games and he wasn't healthy in the Eagles game. Lost Julio and Sanu in the same dam game and still almost won it. Lost Levitre and won a playoff game with Garland at LG. 

Sark had a LOT of adversity he had to face that Kyle didn't in 2016. As a first year OC, that's tough. If we can just get some luck in the health department, the offense is much better. 

22 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

28pts per game is the minimum it will take for me to believe we're achieving to our level of talent on offense. If we finish outside the top 5 in scoring offense then we underachieved. You can't judge Sark in a vacuum, we have too much talent to set the bar at "pretty good." 

If the Defense is as good as we think they can be, there should be no need to put up 28 points. Run the ball, control the clock, run play action and control the ball. Lessons we should never forget from the SB. 

blkbigdog35 and Tim Mazetti like this

1 minute ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

If the Defense is as good as we think they can be, there should be no need to put up 28 points. Run the ball, control the clock, run play action and control the ball. Lessons we should never forget from the SB. 

No doubt :tiphat:

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Yes, our offense shouldn't try to score more points. That's just unnecessary. Like in the Superbowl or last year against Philly.

1 hour ago, maxatlanta said:

Yes, our offense shouldn't try to score more points. That's just unnecessary. Like in the Superbowl or last year against Philly.

????

Of course they will try to score as much as possible. It is a tie breaker.

The point made was that the Falcons' may not have to to win.

Defense and so forth. Just a projection.

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Exactly right. The same people that called for Ryan and Shanny's heads are the same who are calling for Sark's though. People were blasting Ryan after 2015 and saying he was on notice. He was booed at a Hawks game! Fans want results immediately. Nobody thinks rationally.

Microwave society bro.

blkbigdog35 likes this

5 hours ago, vel said:

Exactly. I knew we'd stumble last year. Realistically, if Sark can have this offense in the top third in the NFL we should be golden, since our defense should definitely be in the top third - most likely closer to the top than the the bottom.

But as we all know, talk is cheap. I worry a bit about his ability to execute in the red zone, but that has been an issue with this offense before. 

I am really optimistic about winning the division, and of course that's a huge thing.

21 hours ago, vel said:

If his receivers just have an average drop season, we should be way better.

Gotta integrate the backs into the pass game though.

vel likes this

30 minutes ago, papachaz said:

all the options here, and you chose this....

pzu6vx0.jpg

:lol: I was trying to start a POSITIVE Sark thread.

papachaz likes this

6 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

:lol: I was trying to start a POSITIVE Sark thread.

LOL I just found this blank template and made this, yours was the most recently posted in sark thread, so I couldn't resist.....:lol: also I can change the buttons as needed. I need a 'hive sop dap' in there for sure. Probably a 'bring him home TD button too  :lol:

blkbigdog35 likes this

Posted (edited)

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

Pretty interesting read.  I think Sark is going to get this offense clicking. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/32354/entering-year-2-oc-steve-sarkisian-ready-to-unleash-falcons

Pretty Interesting?  No amigo.  An excellent read and thank you.  Two take aways:

1. "Life is awesome. I love it," Sarkisian said. "I love living in Atlanta. I love being here.  This is important because if the offense clicks, we absolutely want to retain him for the long haul.

2. "It was a good reminder to me it's not always about the plays. It's also about the players and making sure that we're putting our best players in position to be successful," Sarkisian reflected. "In that moment looking back, we still have a healthy Devonta Freeman. We still have a healthy Tevin Coleman. And those guys didn't get an opportunity to touch the ball at a critical moment of a game: the closing moments of a game.

"Hindsight's 20/20. Yeah, next time, probably one of those two guys, somewhere in that scenario, is going to get their chance to convert to keep a drive alive."

Reflection and learning from your mistakes is important. 

Thanks for the post.  I stand by my earlier comments about his qualifications but he just might be growing into the job in spite of any deficiencies he may have.  This article helps to convince me that success may indeed be possible with Sarkisian.

Here's to your success in 2018!  At the end of the day….We gotta believe…..Its what we do!

And I believe we have the components to be an OFFENSIVE FORCE in 2018!

Edited by lostnmexico
blkbigdog35 likes this

On 6/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, mc said:

The calls were not the same as 2016.

That’s exactly what I said earlier 

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

LOL I just found this blank template and made this, yours was the most recently posted in sark thread, so I couldn't resist.....:lol: also I can change the buttons as needed. I need a 'hive sop dap' in there for sure. Probably a 'bring him home TD button too  :lol:

Definitely a ‘bring him home TD’ :lol:

papachaz likes this