Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forever Julian

Anthony Bourdain commits suicide

146 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

This one hurts. I was a big fan of his since his "no reservations" days. I became an even bigger fan when I discovered that his wife got him training in BJJ. We trained for about the same amount of time and was the same belt rank. I even had a brief conversation on Reddit with him about how he finds time to train. 

Here's a pic from him competing. RIP, AB

If you haven't seen it, the San Francisco episode of parts unknown talks A LOT about BJJ. 

A man that embodies everything good in the world knows suffering few of us can even imagine... 

While the evil and wicked profit at levels seldom seen before....

I find it hard to believe in that world. 

LouDog, Jpowors, kicker and 2 others like this

Well it seems that Asia Argento might have been what pushed him over the edge. He was head over heels for her.... she apparently not so much with him. She's been seeing photographer Hugo Clement on the side. See pictures in article linked below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5807979/Asia-Argento-embraces-Hugo-Clement-shared-attack-Harvey-Weinstein-Cannes.html

Tony Bourdain has been someone I've admired for a long, long time.  Loved his candor, his willingness to eat and venture beyond the conventional tourist zones and his sincere belief that people are essentially friendly and good.  His death saddens me to no end and I can't begin to imagine the demons he must have been confronting that led him to take his own life.  Since I'm retired and have the time and means to travel, I do my best to try and visit some of his favorite restaurants/dives and haunts when I'm traveling around the world and I've always had a grand time at those venues.  I am fortunate that I had a chance to see him in person when he was in Metro-Atlanta a couple of years ago,  promoting his follow-up book to 'Kitchen Confidential'.  We met after his presentation, I managed to get a signed copy of his book and we shared a brief laugh or two about our guilty food pleasures and about how genuinely nice people are around the world.  His candor, humor and insight into both food and the human condition will be missed.  RIP Tony.

2 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Out of everyone involved, my heart bleeds for Ripert. They were the world's greatest bromance. I simply cannot conceive of the pain he must have felt when he walked into that room and realized what he was looking at. It's cruel in that Ripert will spend the rest of his life wondering what more he could have done.

WOR, mdrake34 and AF89 like this

My wife and I caught Bourdain on tour here in town a few years back. What I will always remember was the Q&A at the end of the show. A local cook (it would have been generous to call him a chef) stood up and said, "Sir, it would do my restaurant the greatest honor if you would let us cook you some food." Bourdain wanted to decline, as he had an engagement several hours away the following evening, and he was driving, not flying. After a moment, he realized that it was the most important question the dude had ever asked anyone in his life. A single meal eaten by Bourdain would validate his entire career. So, Bourdain relented and agreed to stop by for a quick bite after the show.

My guess is that the entire tour featured some variant of that scenario. We were toward the end of it, and he was STILL saying yes to people.

I owned Kitchen Confidential based on a recommendation from a friend basically the month it came out. I have Kitchen Confidential the (short-lived) TV series on my tv right now and have watched episodes over the past month (amazing cast, by the way). I watched No Reservations from the pilot on.

My favorite moment was the Japanese baseball game, although them being trapped in Beirut is some of the most riveting television I've ever watched. I also learned that Padma Lakshmi was a chef because of Bourdain. He did a segment with her right when her first cookbook came out. I only knew her from a Star Trek: Enterprise episode (seriously).

It's extremely difficult processing this one.

It took all day, but it finally hit me and I broke down in tears. Seeing so many people on social media (and in this thread) sharing profound acts of kindness by Anthony just wrecked me. What a truly special man that touched so many. 

NewFalcon and AF89 like this

The older I get, the more I realize that the best people, for whatever reason, don’t last long on this Earth.

Edited by Maverick
falconsd56 and kicker like this

On 6/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, jidady said:

Out of everyone involved, my heart bleeds for Ripert. They were the world's greatest bromance. I simply cannot conceive of the pain he must have felt when he walked into that room and realized what he was looking at. It's cruel in that Ripert will spend the rest of his life wondering what more he could have done.

I can relate very closely to what he is likely feeling. I'm not sure you ever "get over it". It comes and goes and never really goes away it could be a phrase or a smell or a place that just reignites the pain. Suicide leaves the survivors of those close to them in a daze confused world wondering what could I have done and the answer is generally nothing because it wasn't about you. 

On 6/9/2018 at 9:40 AM, mdrake34 said:

I guess it's a good thing for Bourdain that he was an outspoken atheist that had no fear of a place he knew didn't exist.

7 hours ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Feels like I'm the only person on Earth that never heard of this dude...

I highly recommend watching some of his shows. I can assure you that all the things people are saying about him now - about his curiosity, his willingness to break bread with anyone, his ability to showcase different cultures and peoples in a way that was both enlightening and non-patronizing, all while eating just about anything and drinking everything - are all true.  Doesn't really matter where he was. Lyon, France. The Deep South. Vietnam. Senegal. Nigeria. Beirut. Trinidad.  It was, almost always, authentic and engaging.