Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forever Julian

Anthony Bourdain commits suicide

146 posts in this topic

I am devastated by this. I’ve joked here for years he was my spirit animal. He leaves behind a wife and young daughter. He was such a tremendous storyteller, and he connected with so many people around the globe and brought attention to numerous issues throughout the world through his show, especially his most recent series. He had a profound love of cinema, whichrefelected in his shows. RIP Anthony.

Carter, HolyMoses, NewFalcon and 1 other like this

Last night the kids and wife went to bed early. Finding myself with a rare moment of free time, I poured myself a bourbon, pulled out the Les Paul, put on my headphones, and finally learned to play Blackbird, which my almost-four year old has been singing a lot lately. It feels oddly timely, though tonight I think I’ll learn The Passenger in honor of Bourdain and his spirit animal.  

Hope you’ve found peace, AB, and if there is an afterlife, a good low-key pho restaurant there.

kicker and HolyMoses like this

He's going to have the biggest gawd**** funeral guest list of genuine friends and relations than anybody I can possibly think of :(

kicker likes this

One of my favorite things about Anthony Bourdain was his promotion of great hotdogs and sausages.  I loved his special on Hot Dougs in Chicago and, several years ago, went to Chicago for a conference.  So of course, I had to go to Hot Doug’s. 

After a train ride and a very long walk (got lost in the burbs), finally got there.  Waited in line for about an hour and a half with a friend.  We ordered a bunch of different hot dogs.  Of course their foie gras dog and duck fat fries were on the list.  But also had a cajun dog (okay) and a thai dog that was crazy good...it had some kind of thai flavored mayo and seaweed salad.  Great experience that I never forgot.  It also resulted in an insane rush back to the hotel and then an insanely fast taxi ride to the airport, with me getting to check-in just in time (they were literally about to close the check-in counter)!  The week after getting home, I re-watched the episode and realized that I sat in the exact same seat that Anthony Bourdain sat in for the show!

Several years after that, I was in Denver and discovered a great hotdog stand (now a restaurant) called “Biker Jim’s”.  I actually met the owner (Jim) and chatted with him briefly.  I found out that maybe 1-2 years after I “discovered” the place that Anthony Bourdain featured it briefly on one of his shows.  

I’ve also visited Jalan Alor in Kuala Lumpur and definitely walked past the place he’s at in the picture below.

In Indonesia, I doubt that I visited the same places, but I’ve had the street food in Jakarta and Bali.  Also in Banjarmasin, but I believe he went far inland on his visit to Kalimantan.  

In fact, Anthony Bourdain is one of the major reasons why I love doing “wisata kulinar” (“culinary vacations”) everywhere I go in Indonesia.  He’s the primary reason that I first got into food adventures, starting with Hot Doug’s in Chicago and currently all across Indonesia and parts of Malaysia.  

RIP

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuy_y7moKCmFp47yoXSq1

"Meals make the society, hold the fabric together in lots of ways that were charming and interesting and intoxicating to me. The perfect meal, or the best meals, occur in a context that frequently has very little to do with the food itself."

RIP

This one hurts. I was a big fan of his since his "no reservations" days. I became an even bigger fan when I discovered that his wife got him training in BJJ. We trained for about the same amount of time and was the same belt rank. I even had a brief conversation on Reddit with him about how he finds time to train. 

Here's a pic from him competing. RIP, AB

Leon Troutsky and mdrake34 like this

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

This one hurts. I was a big fan of his since his "no reservations" days. I became an even bigger fan when I discovered that his wife got him training in BJJ. We trained for about the same amount of time and was the same belt rank. I even had a brief conversation on Reddit with him about how he finds time to train. 

Here's a pic from him competing. RIP, AB

He seemed like he was in the healthiest place in his adult life, that's what makes this all the more difficult.

10 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

He seemed like he was in the healthiest place in his adult life, that's what makes this all the more difficult.

So maybe this is too soon and if it is I apologize but there's a part of me that needs to know if this was part of a larger drug relapse or something because the thought of a guy like that suddenly succubing to depression.....well that's kind of a chilling thought because Anthony Bourdain was a god**** rock and if it could happen to him....

I almost want it to be something different, some kind of outlier so we could rationalize this into a neat little box and say "oh that's why!"

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

So maybe this is too soon and if it is I apologize but there's a part of me that needs to know if this was part of a larger drug relapse or something because the thought of a guy like that suddenly succubing to depression.....well that's kind of a chilling thought because Anthony Bourdain was a gaw**** rock and if it could happen to him....

I almost want it to be something different, some kind of outlier so we could rationalize this into a neat little box and say "oh that's why!"

I've suffered from depression in the past.  You can act completely normal and be completely desolate on the inside.

This was posted on another message board where I post:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

Infinite Jest.

So I’m going back through his Indonesian shows and seeing what else I’ve done (or missed that I should do while I’m here), and just realized that I also visited the same waterfalls in Ubud, Bali he went to on his No Reservations episode.  I also almost broke my neck on those d*** stairs and slippery sidewalks on the way down.  There is moss everywhere and even though I had hiking sandals, I slipped over a dozen times on the 20-30 minute walk.  I’m going to try to hit the pork warung place he visited in Bali on my way through, hopefully next month, and maybe check out some of the other places he did.  Here’s a video of his show:

mdrake34 likes this

18 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

One of the greatest things ever filmed.

I never failed to amaze me that a 60 year old man that has traveled to literally every corner of the earth had never been to a Waffle House. 

I guess that's my Southern privilege showing. 

AF89, mdrake34 and Ransack like this

14 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I've suffered from depression in the past.  You can act completely normal and be completely desolate on the inside.

This was posted on another message board where I post:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

Infinite Jest.

I've been there. Not to the point that I seriously considered ending my life, but it's an off and on thing I have battled since my brother died suddenly 12 years ago. What most people don't understand is that depression has nothing to do with how well one's life seems to be going. I have a beautiful wife and daughter, a great job, enough money, and lots of friends. But that still doesn't keep the despair from blindsiding me on occasion. All I can do is develop the coping mechanisms that have helped, and for me that was getting into the best shape of my live and learning jiu jitsu. It's not a cure, but it certainly shortens those random periods of despair. 

I never had the substance issues that AB had, but my guess is that he had many of those same intermittent bouts of despair along with the added weight of addiction that never really goes away. 

The point is that it's incredibly difficult, but that's not going to stop some who have no clue from making judgements. 

mdrake34 likes this

Wow. He really did.

Rest in Peace, Bourdain. Whatever your reasons,  I hope you find the happiness and answers that you didn't find here.