Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

T.O. To Skip HOF Induction

198 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

So Owens autographing a football after a TD somehow makes him worse than Ray ******* Lewis?

I can dig your downplaying of Terrell Owens career of team destroying but you aren't one of those people who think that Ray Lewis actually murdered someone are you?

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

TBH Julio could have been that guy if Matt had the arm strength Culpepper had. Sooooooo many missed opportunities due to the ball coming up short

Love Julio but he's nowhere near the body control/acrobatic adjustment guy Moss was.  That's not even Julio's strength.

Julio is much more like TO.  Moss was like AJ Green with 2 powerups.

9 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Love Julio but he's nowhere near the body control/acrobatic adjustment guy Moss was.  That's not even Julio's strength.

Those in TAFT who underrate just how good JJ is tickle me....

Slappywhite and athell like this

34 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I can dig your downplaying of Terrell Owens career of team destroying but you aren't one of those people who think that Ray Lewis actually murdered someone are you?

No. That's actually the calling card of everyone in Pittsburgh. I think he had a part in it but never killed anyone. Either way I don't recall ever hearing about a "Terrell Owens Trial". He was an idiot, sure, but not a criminal.

Also, I think "career of team destroying" is a tad harsh. Nobody on the Eagles liked Donovan McNabb. ****, hardly anyone in all of Philadelphia liked him. I'd at least give that one 50/50.

15 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

4.3 speed that can beat almost any cornerback in the league(proven) with a 38.5" vertical, I think he's more than capable if the QB had a stronger arm and actually had to jump for the ball more. you can't even honestly say Julio doesn't have body control/acrobatic adjustment because he's rarely had to display it.

Vandy, Ovie_Lover and Slappywhite like this

20 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

This x10000000

You don’t ignore or become blind to a player as great as T.O. Just cuz or because you heard some numbers. T.O. is arguably a top 6-7 receiver all time. You can’t not let him in. 

He’s made his feelings known for years about the people who select the players. This isn’t new for him and many people understand why. 

I hated T.O as a player, but to me he is a first or easily a second ballot HOFer. No question. 

I will never forget how T.O. slam the football down on the Dallas Cowboy's star. Is anyone REALLY surprised that this creative player would pull this off. No denying that he is a HOF'er. Hold your till you find out what he has in store for the fans. ... . He aint NEVER scared!       

19 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Honestly, I would hope folks would remember how dominant a player he was. A guy that made Jerry Rice dispensable in San Francisco. The catch he made in the 1998 playoffs to beat the Packers. The game he had against the Bears with over 20 catches in 2001. The insane recovery from the broken leg so he could play in the Super Bowl. But he'll also be remembered for the popcorn thing, the running to the star thing, the sit-ups in his drive way thing just as much.

I think that the popcorn thing was actually pretty cool, especially when watched in slow motion.

7 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I think that the popcorn thing was actually pretty cool, especially when watched in slow motion.

I thought the Sharpie thing, the popcorn, the pompoms, and even the star thing were all pretty funny. 

What really didn't sit well with his teams though were the calling out the coaches, calling out his QBs, locker room paranoia, contract disputes one year into a seven year contract, and sleeping pill drama.

But he was a fun character on the field, to be sure.

43 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I thought the Sharpie thing, the popcorn, the pompoms, and even the star thing were all pretty funny. 

What really didn't sit well with his teams though were the calling out the coaches, calling out his QBs, locker room paranoia, contract disputes one year into a seven year contract, and sleeping pill drama.

But he was a fun character on the field, to be sure.

They just wanted him to shut up and play but the calling out was the truth. McNabb was a bad teammate. Nobody liked him. He and Hugh Grant got into a fight etc...If you don’t want what comes out of a man’s mouth stop putting a camera and a mic in his face. I can’t say he tore one team up because every teammate he ever had except McNabb and Garcia said they loved TO and he was the ultimate teammate. Even his coaches loved him. I like players that hold coaches and players accountable. And he didn’t reallly talk about his former team until he was with another team, which most outspoken players do anyway. If TO was a cancer Roddy White was a cancer. 

papachaz likes this

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They just wanted him to shut up and play but the calling out was the truth. McNabb was a bad teammate. Nobody liked him. He and Hugh Grant got into a fight etc...If you don’t want what comes out of a man’s mouth stop putting a camera and a mic in his face. I can’t say he tore one team up because every teammate he ever had except McNabb and Garcia said they loved TO and he was the ultimate teammate. Even his coaches loved him. I like players that hold coaches and players accountable. And he didn’t reallly talk about his former team until he was with another team, which most outspoken players do anyway. If TO was a cancer Roddy White was a cancer. 

Really?  Because Roddy White managed to spend his entire career with one team.

San Francisco made no attempt to resign Terrell Owens.  Philly cut Owens after two years of a seven year contract.  Dallas cut Owens one year after giving him a monster extension.

Roddy White never said the Falcons would be better if they had a different QB.  At least I don't remember him doing that.  He did say some dumb things sometimes though.

I think they aren't exactly the same.  

6 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

TO got snubbed because of himself. It's his bed, he made, he can lay in it. He will regret this, just like his hurt for being snubbed, it's just covering his regret for being a cancer everywhere he went. He wanted attention ,he got it, but not the way he wanted it.  

People always want to excuse away the dumb moves of a idiot. It's amazing how many people try to excuse away classless behavior today. Its It's just supposed to be ok. I guess it is, if you can swallow the repercussions. TO was a beast, but he let attitude get in the way. This is just another bad decision on his part. 

TO got snubbed because of the VOTERS. PERIOD!!! The hall is ONLY about what the player did on the field. Him not being a 1st ballad is a personal grudge from sportswriters. They tend to not vote players in that they deemed unfriendly to the media. Here’s what’s bad. They’ve voted wife beaters into the hall 1st ballad. Drug addicts 1st ballad. Unliked players 1st ballad. But as long as they were friendly to the media no problem. The hall ahoukd ONLY reflect what said player did on the field. That’s what the hall is about. 

1. Did the player dominate his position 

2. Does he have the numbers 

3. Can you talk about the game without mentioning said player. 

Thats it. Nothing else matters. That’s the hall criteria. If antics and OFF field issues affect voting that should include that in the hall bylaws. As of now those are not included in what should keep a player out. If they are gonna vote that way vote that way for EVERYBODY not just the ones that wasn’t media friendly. 

papachaz likes this

9 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Really?  Because Roddy White managed to spend his entire career with one team.

San Francisco made no attempt to resign Terrell Owens.  Philly cut Owens after two years of a seven year contract.  Dallas cut Owens one year after giving him a monster extension.

Roddy White never said the Falcons would be better if they had a different QB.  At least I don't remember him doing that.  He did say some dumb things sometimes though.

I think they aren't exactly the same.  

When did TO say they’d be better with another qb while he was still playing for that team?? And if he did what does that have to do with what HE did on the field?? TO is not the only player that butted heads with his teams and left. That happens. But at the end of the day WHAT DOES ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HIS PLAY ON THE FIELD?? 

Its not the hall of moral fame. It’s just the hall of fame. Based on the play of a player during his career. Nothing else. Did he or did he not make a team he went to better? 

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

TO got snubbed because of the VOTERS. PERIOD!!! The hall is ONLY about what the player did on the field. Him not being a 1st ballad is a personal grudge from sportswriters. They tend to not vote players in that they deemed unfriendly to the media. Here’s what’s bad. They’ve voted wife beaters into the hall 1st ballad. Drug addicts 1st ballad. Unliked players 1st ballad. But as long as they were friendly to the media no problem. The hall ahoukd ONLY reflect what said player did on the field. That’s what the hall is about. 

1. Did the player dominate his position 

2. Does he have the numbers 

3. Can you talk about the game without mentioning said player. 

Thats it. Nothing else matters. That’s the hall criteria. If antics and OFF field issues affect voting that should include that in the hall bylaws. As of now those are not included in what should keep a player out. If they are gonna vote that way vote that way for EVERYBODY not just the ones that wasn’t media friendly. 

I'm not sure I understand the 1st ballot argument anyway.

Terrell Owens never finished 1st in the league in receiving yards.  Never finished 2nd either.

Terrell Owens never finished in the top 3 in the league in receptions in a season.

Terrell Owens never won a Super Bowl.  He did play well in the Super Bowl but the team made it through the playoffs to the Super Bowl without him playing whatsoever.

What is the criteria for "first ballot".  I have no idea.  But I can see football reasons to make him wait a year or two.  But his mouth was definitely first ballot HOF mouth.

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

When did TO say they’d be better with another qb while he was still playing for that team?? And if he did what does that have to do with what HE did on the field?? TO is not the only player that butted heads with his teams and left. That happens. But at the end of the day WHAT DOES ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HIS PLAY ON THE FIELD?? 

Its not the hall of moral fame. It’s just the hall of fame. Based on the play of a player during his career. Nothing else. Did he or did he not make a team he went to better? 

All the teams that Terrell went to were already pretty good.  The Eagles were already very good.  They were all starting to decline when they cut him though.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

I'm not sure I understand the 1st ballot argument anyway.

Terrell Owens never finished 1st in the league in receiving yards.  Never finished 2nd either.

Terrell Owens never finished in the top 3 in the league in receptions in a season.

Terrell Owens never won a Super Bowl.  He did play well in the Super Bowl but the team made it through the playoffs to the Super Bowl without him playing whatsoever.

What is the criteria for "first ballot".  I have no idea.  But I can see football reasons to make him wait a year.  But his mouth was definitely first ballot HOF mouth.

I just have you the criteria. 

1. Did the player dominate his position for a long time. He did

2. Does he have the numbers. He does 

3. Can you talk about the game without mentioning that player. You can’t. 

Dan Marino never won a SB. It’s about the BODY of work. Not finishing 1st in yards one year or leasing in td’s. When you look at TO’s body of work his numbers are eight up there with the greats. 

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

All the teams that Terrell went to were already pretty good.  The Eagles were already very good.  They were all starting to decline when they cut him though.

They got better when he got there. Andy Reid could never get to the SB. He did when TO got there. And had a monster game. McNabb lost that game because he wasn’t in shape. 

They got better when he got there. Andy Reid could never get to the SB. He did when TO got there. And had a monster game. McNabb lost that game because he wasn’t in shape. 

They won the playoff games without Terrell Owens lol.

You gonna give TO credit for games he wasn't even in? 

Ok I'm done here.  I can't argue with that.

13 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Keep tabs on Antonio Callaway the WR drafted by the Browns in the 4th. My player comp for him was Sterling Sharpe. If not for character concerns he'd have gone much higher. Top 10 player in this class. So fun to watch. 

Callaway has to stay on the field and he's got to improve his hands. Hands are very suspect at times. He's definitely got the talent.

14 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Agreed definitely I think certain people shouldn't be given certain powers.you have someone legacy in your hands regardless if you like them or not that's a responsibilty you need to take highly and seriously.idk if sportswriters should be able to vote honestly but then who do u get to vote

I think we should let computers do it. Put in all the information, stats, accomplishments, comparables, peers, ect and let it split out a result based on that. It would be the only non-biased way of doing it.

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

They won playoff games before TO was there. They were a good team but they were dominant when he was there. 

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

TBH Julio could have been that guy if Matt had the arm strength Culpepper had. Sooooooo many missed opportunities due to the ball coming up short

I have to disagree with that. Julio is great at playing the ball in the air but I've never seen anyone make the plays on the ball while in the air that Moss made look routine.

They won playoff games before TO was there. They were a good team but they were dominant when he was there. 

They got to the Super Bowl with him watching the game on crutches.  I don't think he can get the credit for that.

It's true that they only had to get through a phony contender in the Falcons that year.  That would be true.

7 minutes ago, Peyton said:

These two things arent mutually exclusive. TO unequivocally made the Eagles offense a better unit. They also were able to sustain success when he missed time. However, the games in which TO didnt play were pretty comfortably the worst games the Eagles offense put on the board that season. Well...the regular season games. 

34 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

What about the way he defended Tony Romo when everyone was going after him? No one remembers that. What more do you want from a great teammate?

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I have to disagree with that. Julio is great at playing the ball in the air but I've never seen anyone make the plays on the ball while in the air that Moss made look routine.

I dont think Julio is great at playing the ball in the air at all, TBH. If anything, I think its probably the weakest part of his game. He constantly struggles to track the ball in the air. And while we can nitpick the "arm strength/trajectory" stuff with Matt, those "issues" (which are super overstated) are made significantly more noticeable because Julio isnt as great at tracking the ball as he could be. 

But he's absurd before and after the catch and insane on the boundaries. He's pretty terrific.