Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LawDawg

June-July 2018 UGA RecruitingThread

222 posts in this topic

We're into June 5 days and no one's bothered to create this month's thread. That's how exciting things are at the moment. I merged June and July since there probably won't be too much activity until August. Hope you guys don't mind.

ohiodawg8 likes this

11 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Jaelin Humphries commits to UF? I thought he was ours to lose.

we quit recruiting him.  i hope our strategy works out. 

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we quit recruiting him.  i hope our strategy works out. 

What's the story behind this? He seemed like a pretty good prospect to me. Are Travon Walker and CJ Clark the takes? With Walthour going Juco, I think another DT is in order.

2 hours ago, LawDawg said:

What's the story behind this? He seemed like a pretty good prospect to me. Are Travon Walker and CJ Clark the takes? With Walthour going Juco, I think another DT is in order.

The word is Humphries doesn't have the athleticism that we are looking for in a DT. Several guys have been saying he'd be better off playing Guard.

g-dawg and Dr.Falconfan like this

3 hours ago, LawDawg said:

see what ransack said..  :) he is 100% correct..  

29 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

cj clark is announcing on june 17th.. will commit to uga. 

Finally some good news coming our way!

g-dawg likes this

Georgia offered in-state QB Zach Calzada and he’s pumped about it. Hope we can get him.

also offered a CB from GMC yesterday. I wish these camps were open to the recruiting sites like they used to be. Without them it’s so dead during the summer in terms of news.

I know it’s not recruiting per se, but is there any news at all about summer workouts and/or class of 2018 kids? I know most of that class enrolled Friday (minus Walthour), but I’d love some updates on who reported in shape, who’s doing well in workouts so far, etc etc.

If you know anything about rusty mansell you know he is close to kirby.  rusty has been pretty negative and said at best we would have a top 7 to 10 class this year and would sign maybe 20.  This past weekend (he most likely talked to someone he is close to on staff), but now he believes we finish with a top 3 class at the very worst and are taking closer to 25.  His negativity stopped and he was very bullish on our chances.  That bodes well with who he knows.  

The staff is taking a gamble that hopefully ends up being as successful as rusty believes.  We are passing on some instate kids who are talented for guys that we want that are higher on our board out of state.  Our staff is using our big playoff run to really target a number of national guys.  Besides mcclendon instate we will most likely have out of state kids make up our oline commits.  It's going to be interesting to see how we do out of state.  A program usually gets a nice bump with a big title run (even if you don't win it)..  This staff is doing all they can to take advantage of that. 

1 hour ago, 007dawg said:

So, if we get Calzada are we gonna take one more?  Parrish?  Yellen?

yep i think we try to take 2.. we need at least 4 qbs on campus on scholarship. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I think it is Calzada/Yellen and Parrish/other DT QB.  Have you heard anything about our involvement with Jayden Daniels from Cali?

Edited by 007dawg

6 hours ago, 007dawg said:

I think it is Calzada/Yellen and Parrish/other DT QB.  Have you heard anything about our involvement with Jayden Daniels from Cali?

i don't see daniels at this time.. i haven't read he is even scheduled to visit..  yeah i can see what you are saying above on qb.. i believe we want 2 qbs, but we might be happy with 1 qb.. we have a lot of qbs on campus for the throwing camps and we could see a few more offers. 

7 hours ago, LawDawg said:

CBs for Trezman to FSU now. :huh:

He’s probably telling people whatever they want to hear to keep them happy.

I cannot even remember the last commit or positive UGA recruiting news - it has been a long slog.

Sounds like DJ Daniel, top JUCO corner, could decide pretty quickly for the good guys.

also, Jammie Robinson seems to have become a big time priority and is currently on campus for 7 on 7 and will be back later this month I believe

also, ILB target Rian Davis is now a composite .964 on 247 after a Rivals ranking bump and seems to be deciding sooner than later for us

we need C.J. Clark and Travon Walker to go ahead and commit so I’ll feel better about the DL.

Porter Osborne Jr and 95Dawg like this

On 6/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, SacFalcFan said:

looks like Calzada to Texas A/M.  Amazing that we can't attract a QB with only 2 on scholarship.

41 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

looks like Calzada to Texas A/M.  Amazing that we can't attract a QB with only 2 on scholarship.

Not really

They'd have to be incredibly ******* brave

They'd have to be someone with so much confidence and bravado that they truly believe they could beat out Fromm and/or Fields, or else it would be just a complete waste of their time.

If they even believe for a moment that Fields will start, then they're looking at 2021 at the absolute earliest for them to see meaningful playing time.

13 hours ago, 007dawg said:

the qb we will get right now is either a huge uga fan, alpha 5 star who fears no one, or a kid who has worst offers.. we are not going to beat out teams for guys who are talented enough to play early.  we have a very precarious situation with our qb depth right now.  we are 2 bad plays away from mecole hardman playing qb..  while i worry about our qb recruiting, my bigger concern is dline recruiting.  if cj clark commits to nc state over us that tells me what i need to know about tray scott.  

10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the qb we will get right now is either a huge uga fan, alpha 5 star who fears no one, or a kid who has worst offers.. we are not going to beat out teams for guys who are talented enough to play early.  we have a very precarious situation with our qb depth right now.  we are 2 bad plays away from mecole hardman playing qb..  while i worry about our qb recruiting, my bigger concern is dline recruiting.  if cj clark commits to nc state over us that tells me what i need to know about tray scott.  

The puzzling one to me is Stetson Bennett leaving.  I get it he wants to start, but would starting a couple of years at somewhere like Ga State really be better than being on scholly at UGA , getting playing time as a RS Freshman, being part of potential SEC and NC teams, and having that on your resume when you are done with school.  Yes, on Clark and Scott.  I know NC State is the in-state school, but UGA has much more to offer.