Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheFatboi

Why I’m not worried about the loss of Poe. This happens with or without Poe.

36 minutes ago, delaigle said:

23 times behind the line  sounds great

You do realize that a team normally runs over 400 rush plays per season????

That's 6%

Teams pass over 500 times per season yet a 20 sack season is as rare as anything. That's 4%. People use 10 sacks as the threshold for a good pass rushing season. That's 2%. 

23 times behind the line in the running game is impressive and hard to do, considering most good players like Grady are ran away from for that reason. Don't trivialize it. 

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Senat is a really good prospect ... I know McClain is gonna start but I've been watching Senat.... This dude is really strong and shed blocks really good

I don’t really look at it as a starting thing for the DL because McClain will probably start in 4-3. If we are in nickel it’ll probably be Senat. But then again because senat is so good stopping the run he could start in base 4-3 and McClain come on in nickel. So it all depends on how the offense starts the game. They may come out with 3 wr’s on the 1st Play of the game. That would mean Senat would start the game because we’d come out in nickel. Starters on the DL really don’t matter so much in the nfl anymore because of it’s rotation. It all depends on how the offense comes out determining which defensive package comes on the field to start the game. 

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

I would be concerned about that, for sure.

grady is going to see more double-teams, and our smallish LBers May not be as effective accordingly with Poe gone. 

We reached Superbowl without Poe....no one is indispensable unless you are Matt Ryan.

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

I would be concerned about that, for sure.

grady is going to see more double-teams, and our smallish LBers May not be as effective accordingly with Poe gone. 

If Grady gets more double teams then Senat or McClain should eat. But being that Senat is the strong like an OX type like Poe he should see poe’s Double teams. Either way whoever gets double teamed the other will eat. Senat is an excellent run stopper. He’ll make plays behind the line too. 

20 hours ago, falconidae said:

Couldn't you argue that Poe's presence was the reason for many of those opportunities? Don't know if that's so, but it certainly seems that having a guy eating up double teams besides you would free you up for more one on ones and beating a block.

Senat is strong as an OX like Poe. If you leave him 1 on 1 you won’t run the ball at all. Plus senat is quicker off the ball than Poe so that’s a bigger issue for offense in itself. You can get ANY heavy strong guy to draw double teams because if you can’t move him you clog up running lanes. All senat has to do is be unmovable and he’ll draw double teams to try and move him. my thing is Poe did this as a rookie in KANSAS CITY!! Why is it so unbelievable that a rookie drafted in ATLANTA can’t do the same. Poe wasn’t the first day 1 rookie to draw double teams and he wasn’t the last. IF you look at senats run numbers from college they got better each year and they were all in the 80th percentile I believe. Why wouldn’t that transfer into the nfl? It did for Poe. That’s why he was drafted by Andy. Another guy from the Walsh tree that drafts well like Daddy Walsh. Quinn drafts well like grandpa Walsh. He knows what he needs for his system to work. From what I’ve seen from Senat he will draw double teams and leave 1 on 1’s for Grady. Plus the position he plays commands double teams so I DOUBT Grady sees more double teams ANYWAY. 

21 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t really look at it as a starting thing for the DL because McClain will probably start in 4-3. If we are in nickel it’ll probably be Senat. But then again because senat is so good stopping the run he could start in base 4-3 and McClain come on in nickel. So it all depends on how the offense starts the game. They may come out with 3 wr’s on the 1st Play of the game. That would mean Senat would start the game because we’d come out in nickel. Starters on the DL really don’t matter so much in the nfl anymore because of it’s rotation. It all depends on how the offense comes out determining which defensive package comes on the field to start the game. 

I really want to see Crawford healthy ... I rewatch ed the preseason to see jt jones and man Crawford was a PROBLEM... I even liked his play at the beginning of the year.

Again he is not a wold beater but he does add to the roration inside with a guy that can create some pressure.

I like the fact that senat has a little juice.. I think he is a run stopper but he has that keep going motor man... To me Senat and McClain are 1 techs that has some juice for the position.. Can play some 3 too but I think Jack will play alot on 3rd downs and we will be very pleased.

4 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I really want to see Crawford healthy ... I rewatch ed the preseason to see jt jones and man Crawford was a PROBLEM... I even liked his play at the beginning of the year.

Again he is not a wold beater but he does add to the roration inside with a guy that can create some pressure.

I like the fact that senat has a little juice.. I think he is a run stopper but he has that keep going motor man... To me Senat and McClain are 1 techs that has some juice for the position.. Can play some 3 too but I think Jack will play alot on 3rd downs and we will be very pleased.

Absolutely. Crawford is a problem. I hated when he went down. Shelby is tough too. I don’t see why anybody is worried. To me we got better on the DL. The loss of a name isn’t gonna hurt us. Plus like you said it doesn’t matter what package we get caught in we have guys that can play the run and pass now. I can’t wait for the season to start. 

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Absolutely. Crawford is a problem. I hated when he went down. Shelby is tough too. I don’t see why anybody is worried. To me we got better on the DL. The loss of a name isn’t gonna hurt us. Plus like you said it doesn’t matter what package we get caught in we have guys that can play the run and pass now. I can’t wait for the season to start. 

To me I think we are inmm proved with the fact that takk and Beasley will see around double the snaps ... I like clayborn.. I feel he is a tough guy teams need and he is a good rotational guy... He is limited tho... I think beasley and Takk can now switch sides depending on match ups also.

With Poe I said this ... I like Poe... He is a good DT.... I dont think he is this all world guy like some act like he was because of the nane...He is replaceable tho.... 

7 minutes ago, atljbo said:

To me I think we are inmm proved with the fact that takk and Beasley will see around double the snaps ... I like clayborn.. I feel he is a tough guy teams need and he is a good rotational guy... He is limited tho... I think beasley and Takk can now switch sides depending on match ups also.

With Poe I said this ... I like Poe... He is a good DT.... I dont think he is this all world guy like some act like he was because of the nane...He is replaceable tho.... 

And that’s the main thing. With those guys on the outside you can’t double both. And if you don’t there’s guys in the inside that can beat single blocks. 

Poe is a guy that was strong as an ox and Hard to move. That was his speciality. Plus he had some rush ability. But guys like that ARE absolutely replaceable. You can find any strong/heavy guy that’s hard to move and eats double teams. Senat is that as well. His run stopping grade coming out of college is in the 80’s. That’s all I needed to know after watching highlights on him. Poe came from MEMPHIS. Same type thing. Senat also has rush ability and his motor is higher than Poe’s. 

43 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

And that’s the main thing. With those guys on the outside you can’t double both. And if you don’t there’s guys in the inside that can beat single blocks. 

Poe is a guy that was strong as an ox and Hard to move. That was his speciality. Plus he had some rush ability. But guys like that ARE absolutely replaceable. You can find any strong/heavy guy that’s hard to move and eats double teams. Senat is that as well. His run stopping grade coming out of college is in the 80’s. That’s all I needed to know after watching highlights on him. Poe came from MEMPHIS. Same type thing. Senat also has rush ability and his motor is higher than Poe’s. 

I fully agree

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

If Grady gets more double teams then Senat or McClain should eat. But being that Senat is the strong like an OX type like Poe he should see poe’s Double teams. Either way whoever gets double teamed the other will eat. Senat is an excellent run stopper. He’ll make plays behind the line too. 

I liked the Senat pick a lot and we have good reason to believe he can eventually be that guy, but also think you are assuming a lot believing Senat is going to be all of that day 1, my friend. Rookies take awhile, I know you know that. 

You just don’t know how a rookie is going to respond until they get thrown into action. 

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

I liked the Senat pick a lot and we have good reason to believe he can eventually be that guy, but also think you are assuming a lot believing Senat is going to be all of that day 1, my friend. Rookies take awhile, I know you know that. 

You just don’t know how a rookie is going to respond until they get thrown into action. 

That's why I hate Mike Smith! He never played the rooks!

Haha just messing with ya. I do think Senat will be a good day one rookie with one job: control your gap. I don't think he'll give us much more than that nor do I think they'll put him position to do more than that. I think Senat replaces Rubin more than Poe in that regard. I think we'll see McClain and Crawford tag team to replace Poe's pass rushing snaps. 

6 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Senat is wide and stout. People see Poe's 6'3 330lb frame and think we haven't replaced that, when in actuality, Senat could be 6' 320 by the time the season starts, which is a harder person to move. 

DQ said all offseason he's looking at leverage when analyzing the interior DL, not just size. That's why a guy like McClain can win inside at just 300lbs. That's how Senat won consistently at USF. I'm not worried at all. Like you said, we get Crawford back too?! Come on!

30 minutes ago, vel said:

Senat is wide and stout. People see Poe's 6'3 330lb frame and think we haven't replaced that, when in actuality, Senat could be 6' 320 by the time the season starts, which is a harder person to move. 

DQ said all offseason he's looking at leverage when analyzing the interior DL, not just size. That's why a guy like McClain can win inside at just 300lbs. That's how Senat won consistently at USF. I'm not worried at all. Like you said, we get Crawford back too?! Come on!

Been trying to tell guys it’s about leverage and Quinn PURPOSELY likes squatty guys across the line. And you know who made that type of player highly valued?? Warren Sapp. We possibly could have two. Jarrett is already shaping up as a Warren type. It’s always been about leverage. It’s why I always say I like smaller backs between 5’8 and 5’10. Lower center of gravity for taller bigger guys to try and tackle. Ppl hated me when I ran. Same on the DL. Bigger OL guys hate squatty quick DT’s because they get under them. 

19 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Been trying to tell guys it’s about leverage and Quinn PURPOSELY likes squatty guys across the line. And you know who made that type of player highly valued?? Warren Sapp. We possibly could have two. Jarrett is already shaping up as a Warren type. It’s always been about leverage. It’s why I always say I like smaller backs between 5’8 and 5’10. Lower center of gravity for taller bigger guys to try and tackle. Ppl hated me when I ran. Same on the DL. Bigger OL guys hate squatty quick DT’s because they get under them. 

Exactly. Can't move a man if he's always under you. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

That's why I hate Mike Smith! He never played the rooks!

Haha just messing with ya. I do think Senat will be a good day one rookie with one job: control your gap. I don't think he'll give us much more than that nor do I think they'll put him position to do more than that. I think Senat replaces Rubin more than Poe in that regard. I think we'll see McClain and Crawford tag team to replace Poe's pass rushing snaps. 

LOL ..Ok, i’m Game Vel... betcha TD/Smith 3rd rd DT pick Corey peters started and saw the field more in his rookie season than DT 3rd Rd pick senat will in his rookie season! 

Seriously, we can hope all of this, but I’m waiting till I see this kid more, that’s all I’m saying.  And I’m not as confident on McClain/Crawford tag team replacing poe’s Production. I think/hope Senat is going to have to grow up fast.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

LOL ..Ok, i’m Game Vel... betcha TD/Smith 3rd rd DT pick Corey peters started and saw the field more in his rookie season than DT 3rd Rd pick senat will in his rookie season! 

Seriously, we can hope all of this, but I’m waiting till I see this kid more before thinking we’ve got poe fully replaced. That’s all I’m saying.

Lol I actually used rookie Peters as a reason why I think rookie Senat can keep our run D strong. 

I don't think one player is replacing Poe. That's where FatBoi and I are landing. That's why Poe is paid what he is paid. It takes multiple players to do what he does. But that doesn't mean Senat can't handle his run stopping duties and McClain/Crawford can't handle the pass rushing snaps. 

12 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Name recognition everyone knows who Poe is.

Senat Crawford not so much.

On 6/4/2018 at 0:59 PM, falconidae said:

Couldn't you argue that Poe's presence was the reason for many of those opportunities? Don't know if that's so, but it certainly seems that having a guy eating up double teams besides you would free you up for more one on ones and beating a block.

Don't say that around here, Grady is a one man band, he did that all in his own lol. 

.. Cant tell me that Poe lined up next to him didn't have any impact on this.. 

9 hours ago, vel said:

Lol I actually used rookie Peters as a reason why I think rookie Senat can keep our run D strong. 

I don't think one player is replacing Poe. That's where FatBoi and I are landing. That's why Poe is paid what he is paid. It takes multiple players to do what he does. But that doesn't mean Senat can't handle his run stopping duties and McClain/Crawford can't handle the pass rushing snaps. 

I don’t think we will replace poe’s Production in 2018 unless Senat really steps up, it’s the one area on D I think we likely won’t be as good at. He had a big underrated impact on why D improved so much in ‘17. The concern is keeping OL off our smallish LBers.

D will still be statistically good because all the other young guys are improving/evolving to pick up whatever slack from the loss of Poe. Plus I suspect our offense will eat more clock in 2018 keeping D off the field more. But I do think stopping the run could end up being our Achilles heel if it’s mcclain/Crawford taking majority of snaps next to Jarrett. 

Senat is the key.

18 hours ago, atljbo said:

But there are posts in this thread alluding to the fact that Snot is a beast against the run and has some juice against the pass.

That mofo aint played one fkn snap in the National Football League bro. Not a one.