NeonDeion

How many PPG should we score?

79 posts in this topic

2016 ain’t happening again (34 PPG) but Rams still scored 31 PPG last season IIRC. We have more talent now than we had in 2016 with the addition of Ridley. I’m ready to give Sark his second shot.  I don’t care about yards.

How many PPG would you be happy with? 

Imo with this talent, we should average at least 27 PPG. Anything less than 25 PPG and Sark will have to go.

How many PPG should this talent be scoring if you randomly picked an OC out of a hat? 

PokerSteve likes this

With the talent we have we should score around....

13 minutes ago, bossFALCON™ said:

27-29

But with Sark as our OC it's probably going to be around....

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

31 minutes ago, papachaz said:

more than that weeks opponent and I'm good

We started 5-0 as a paper tiger in 2015. I’d rather not just go week to week scoring only just enough 

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

I think regardless of how you feel about Sark that 27-28 PPG is a reasonable goal at a minimum.

It all comes down to 2 factors:

Our shot taking and our red zone.

We move the ball. We need scoring plays and those are the critical areas we regressed so much last year. Get anywhere close to 2016 levels of big play success rates and closer to RZ from that year and we win the SB.

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, papachaz said:

While everyone knows what it takes to win in general, this thread is mostly about goals. Throw out a number as a goal?

I think it's better to believe in yourself to top 2016 instead of trying to duplicate it for example. If you get anywhere close you won the SB; as long as the D is even close to down the stretch/playoff form last year. Actually, most could see our unit improving. Young player progression plus negating our losses. Senat/McClain/Crawford can replace Poe/Rubin; while Takk and Vic replace most of AC's snaps themselves.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Dukeduke211 likes this

30 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think regardless of how you feel about Sark that 27-28 PPG is a reasonable goal at a minimum.

It all comes down to 2 factors:

Our shot taking and our red zone.

We move the ball. We need scoring plays and those are the critical areas we regressed so much last year. Get anywhere close to 2016 levels of big play success rates and closer to RZ from that year and we win the SB.

This is what I’ve been saying. Sark was pretty good at getting yards. His struggles come with RZ and other scoring plays. That must improve 

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

23.6 ppg average

6-4-18 9:00 edit --- I misread the title.  The above number is what I think we WILL score.

We SHOULD score, easily, 28 per game. 

But we won't, because I'm afraid the offense under Sark is just sloppy, and when they get to the red zone, he kind of loses his mind, for whatever reason. 

NeonDeion and Vogelgryff like this

11 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

My mind tells me 30-45, but in reality it'll be around 20-22.

An average OC with this much talent would only score 20 PPG? 

Flying Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

I'm with you on that Papa. As long as we out score that week's opponent we win the SB..

papachaz likes this

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

This is what I’ve been saying. Sark was pretty good at getting yards. His struggles come with RZ and other scoring plays. That must improve 

IMO our blocking did regress in ability to run in the red zone. I'd like to see runs from 10-20 and from inside the 10 between years. Garland and Schweitzer just were not nearly as good as Levitre/Chester at run blocking in 2016. Plus the FB drop off etc, and a health Free.

If we are burning people deep that also hurts their morale to defend the run if we can have big plays throwing 20-20.

1 hour ago, Da_Truth said:

With all the offensive weapons on this team, one TD per quarter is reasonable (28 ppg at a minimum).

This.

If we score 4 TDs every game and our defense keeps making strides as it has, we will absolutely make the playoffs as a #1 or #2 seed. 

Ergo Proxy and Da_Truth like this

24 minutes ago, shock said:

This.

If we score 4 TDs every game and our defense keeps making strides as it has, we will absolutely make the playoffs as a #1 or #2 seed. 

Exactly.  Key is defense picks up where they left off last season and hold opponents to 20 points or less.

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

We started 5-0 as a paper tiger in 2015. I’d rather not just go week to week scoring only just enough 

the problem there was they stopped doing it though. I'm good as long as they do it at least 10 or 11 weeks. Now,if they can manage 12, 13 or 14 of the regular season, that is ok too, but the post season it needs to be every game. 1 or 100 more, I don't care, as long as it's MORE

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, papachaz said:

the problem there was they stopped doing it though. I'm good as long as they do it at least 10 or 11 weeks. Now,if they can manage 12, 13 or 14 of the regular season, that is ok too, but the post season it needs to be every game. 1 or 100 more, I don't care, as long as it's MORE

I’m saying (and most sports analytics back this up) is that W-L in nearly every sport isn’t the best measure or predictor of a team’s future success. Point differential is usually a more accurate measure (especially Pro Bc college has more blowouts to skew it). 

I’ll be much more confident going into the playoffs with an 11-5 team averaging 27 PPG and giving up only 20 PPG than a 14-2 team that just won half their games by a FG. 

Edited by NeonDeion
Ergo Proxy and Tim Mazetti like this

2 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I’m saying (and most sports analytics back this up) is that W-L in nearly every sport isn’t the best measure or predictor of a team’s future success. Point differential is usually a more accurate measure (especially Pro Bc college has more blowouts to skew it). 

I’ll be much more confident going into the playoffs with an 11-5 team averaging 27 PPG and giving up only 20 PPG than a 14-2 team that just won half their games by a FG. 

pffffttttt 14-2??? 19-0 baby!!!

:lol: