Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United June Thread

27 posts in this topic

Another tough stretch coming up

Got 2nd division Charleston in Kennesaw on wednesday, then a quick turnaround to the tiny confines of Yankee Stadium and go to Columbus shortly after that

Seems the team are a popular choice for live broadcasts here. Sky Sports have them chosen on three occasions for this month, and four times in July. I would also anticipate them being on three weekends in August as well (Toronto, Columbus, and Orlando).

They don't broadcast midweek games, but FC Dallas and Columbus most likely would've been chosen if they did.

They just announced tonights  Open Cup rosters, still no Tito but looks like Barco will play the 10 role and Miggy might spot him off the bench.

Two of Charleston's better players including their second leading scorer I believe are Atl loanees and their being held back tonight (secret agreement?)

Potentially either Orlando or Nashville up next (we'll know tomorrow).

I think if it's either they should look to maybe Turner field as that'll be a hot ticket. (And it would be cool to play there)

9 hours ago, AF89 said:

They just announced tonights  Open Cup rosters, still no Tito but looks like Barco will play the 10 role and Miggy might spot him off the bench.

Two of Charleston's better players including their second leading scorer I believe are Atl loanees and their being held back tonight (secret agreement?)

Not allowed to play against their parent clubs under FIFA rules I believe. Covers all bases.

24 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Not allowed to play against their parent clubs under FIFA rules I believe. Covers all bases.

They said on the radio that they were told these rules didn't apply in this case, I believe that only applies to players on short term loans who may take minutes for more than one team (or if they transfered) but that they were still surprised Wild and Okonkwo were held out meaning they must have had some kind of understanding from the original  loan agreement that they couldn't play them head to head in the Cup (and as the Cup matches are more or less geographiclly drawn it was always a strong possibility)

Wild for his part shyt canned Atlanta United 2 ealier in the season, I have to imagine that's where he'll start next season.

Next open cup match will be at home against Chicago 

Not going to lie, I really really wanted Nashville but also a little relieved to avoid Orlando. We own them sure but the rivalry nature of that kind of matchup might have seen both teams try to go all in, with our strongest XIs in what's still early days.

We have a reasonable path to the championship imo

I'll take that point but it doesn't make me any less nervous about having to play an away leg here come the playoffs.

Hope Miggys shoulder is ok

Not only will it be the biggest world cup of all time in terms of participanting nations and attendance but we're likely getting a semi final in MBS

Been slacking with the posting here, but fun game the other day. Always good to beat an Ohio team 

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Been slacking with the posting here, but fun game the other day. Always good to beat an Ohio team 

Tbh Anything but Football does a better job discussing United, but I post links anyway :ninja:

(The views tells me at least somebody is scanning them)

29 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Tbh Anything but Football does a better job discussing United, but I post links anyway :ninja:

(The views tells me at least somebody is scanning them)

Keep it up! I like seeing them

AF89 likes this

Been paying attention to the World Cup recently, so I'm glad there haven't been any games. Guessing they did that on purpose lol.

Not United related, but I think soccer as a whole is about to jump A LOT in terms of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about "the Big 5" instead of "the big 4" in American sports by 2026. 

Still think they need a promo/relegation system though. Would be nice because Birmingham is getting a USL team, and I think that could be a rival of sorts for us. 

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Been paying attention to the World Cup recently, so I'm glad there haven't been any games. Guessing they did that on purpose lol.

Not United related, but I think soccer as a whole is about to jump A LOT in terms of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about "the Big 5" instead of "the big 4" in American sports by 2026. 

Still think they need a promo/relegation system though. Would be nice because Birmingham is getting a USL team, and I think that could be a rival of sorts for us. 

Agree.  I have been following soccer since I was a kid in the late 70's.  In the 80's baseball and football ruled.  A lot of people played soccer but soccer was shunned in a lot of places as a soft sport and where I grew there was a stigma "only private school kids played soccer".  A lot changed with the World Cup in '90 when the U.S. made the WC; then we got the WC in '94.  I think the popularity did not grow as much until the millennial power came along and took up the flag with the Atlanta United.  Now at work it seems like everyone is getting on board.  My boss who is a guy how grew up in the South and only liked baseball and football is now going to games and watching games.  Baseball is just a really slow sport.  The NBA seems primarily focused on Lebron and a few superstars.  It's really exciting to see the sport grow.  Now with the World Cup coming to the U.S. and probably Atlanta it's really going to boom.

Whelp...

This was a huge waste of an opportunity (and I hate the feeling like we put minutes on critical players for nothing), would have played a USL team next week to move to the final four but the offense just can...not...finish w/ out Josef. I know he's got a fractured nose but I think it was a mistake not to include him in the 18 to come off the bench