NFL wants roof open for next season's Super Bowl in Atlanta

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro

ATLANTA -- The NFL wants the retractable roof at Atlanta's $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium open for the next Super Bowl, weather permitting.

Super Bowl LIII is scheduled for Feb. 3, 2019.

"Certainly where we've been in stadia with retractable roofs, our preference is always to open the roof," said Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's senior vice president of events. "We did that in Arizona for Super Bowl XLIX in a model there where they typically don't open the roof for a stadium, but we opened it for the Super Bowl.

"It our mind, [an open roof] creates some great energy in that building. We obviously will be down for a number of Falcons games this fall. And I know the plan is for it to be open, pending weather. So we'll evaluate it and watch that."

Falcons president Rich McKay says he "would love to see" the retractable roof open for Super Bowl LIII next February in Atlanta. Vaughn McClure/ESPN

Falcons president Rich McKay firmly believes the 14.5-acre retractable roof will be fully functional for the 2018 football season after construction issues kept it closed for the majority of the '17 season. The Falcons played just one game with the roof open: last September's home-opening win over Green Bay in a Sunday night clash.

"I would love to see it open," McKay said of the roof for Super Bowl LIII. "That would mean we're having good weather."

The opening of the roof is a 12-minute process, McKay said, and a decision must be made 90 minutes prior to kickoff. In relation to the Super Bowl, the decision to open or close the roof is solely up to the NFL. Officials won't stray from the 90-minute window.

The last time the Super Bowl was in Atlanta was Jan. 30, 2000, when an ice storm paralyzed the city as the St. Louis Rams topped the Tennessee Titans 23-16 inside the Georgia Dome. Falcons owner Arthur Blank called the conditions "1-in-100 years kind of freak stuff" and unlikely to occur again.

Two seasons ago, the Falcons lost to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI at Houston's NRG Stadium. The retractable roof there was closed due to humidity, O'Reilly said.

According to Accuweather, the highest temperature within the first 10 days of this past February in Atlanta was 69 degrees while the low was 32 degrees.

"Again, barring weather -- including temperature -- we'd love to have the roof open and really showcase the building at its fullest," O'Reilly said of Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

On Wednesday, the league awarded the 2023 Super Bowl to Arizona, offering another chance to open the retractable roof at University of Phoenix Stadium for the NFL's biggest event.

Decision is made 90 minutes beforehand, takes 12 minutes to open, fans aren't in their seats until 7 minutes into the first quarter.
There's an 85 minute window to open that darn roof during the regular season. I can get from Macon to the MBS in about that time.

24 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I mean....thats what the retractable roof is for....weather permitting ..i dont see a problem

didn't they play the last one in an OPEN air stadium in freaking new jersey? screw the weather, open the dang thing!

Just now, papachaz said:

didn't they play the last one in an OPEN air stadium in freaking new jersey? screw the weather, open the dang thing!

Im old school works for me....

papachaz and hashmark61 like this

4 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Who cares?

Is actually the correct answer. I love the new stadium, but my one gripe with most all of these retractable roof stadiums, is it's really just a dome with a sunroof. That's the difference, an open air is a convertible, retractable is a sunroof.

Don't believe me, go to a game. Even with it open, it is nowhere close to an outdoor game. It's a dome with a fresh air option, and a kinda cool view if you can actually afford lower level tickets.

I remember when they were pitching designs, I lobbied for that ugly barn design for our stadium even though it looked hideous, because it would have been amazing to see a game in. But we decided that we live in Atlanta to not have to feel cold weather (I respect that and have never gone far from here because of it)

But in an age where owners hold cities hostage to build their palaces, the robot anus just feels like a needless slap in the face. I don't know whether to be happy or mad that the tax-subsidized robot anus won't even open on it's own.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Wasn’t the roof closed for the remainder of the season at one point last season? Can’t remember why. I think the biggest concern is the NFL hoping it actually works properly, not just simply wanting it open. 

10 hours ago, hjerry said:

I'm sure the Falcons organization wants that too.

Not as much as Arthur wants it to open along with a better concert sound system?  amirite?

Kaptain Krazy likes this

1 hour ago, big_dog said:

Not as much as Arthur wants it to open along with a better concert sound system?  amirite?

yes

I'm glad I went to the opener vs the Packers and got to see it open. Who knows when the **** they will re-open it again.

I predicted over a year ago the MBS roof would wind up just like Montreal's, which was open a total of EIGHT TIMES before it was closed forever:  Related image

I stand by that prediction.  Two billion bucks for leaks and a 'Sorry We're Closed'

Chick-Filet.   Lmao.

I dont know if the NFL really understands, or has a mis-perception about January weather in Atlanta .... but its usually always pretty freaking cold and rainy/sleet/snow and generally miserable. Its not like south Florida or Texas in the winter where its sunny and 80 degrees.

kmbutts and Marco102 like this

Posted (edited)

Question - has it been opened at all for this season's soccer games?  

Todays AJC article on the MLS All-Star game in Atlanta 8/1 made no mention of the roof.

I thought they claimed it would be working by now (the 12 minutes thing), but have seen no updates lately.

update from 03/09 AJC:

Mercedes-Benz Stadium officials have watched the weather forecast closely in recent days, hoping the stadium’s retractable roof could be open for Sunday’s Atlanta United match. 

The forecast hasn’t cooperated, calling for a rainy weekend, and as of Friday it appeared highly likely the roof will remain closed Sunday. 

But Steve Cannon, CEO of Falcons and Atlanta United parent company AMB Group, provided an upbeat update on the longer-term status of the problematic roof, predicting it will operate as designed by “early summer.” 

“We’re getting close,” Cannon said. “I can see the finish line on this one, and it can’t come soon enough.” 

Work reintensified a couple of months ago on the roof, which has been open for only two events in the stadium’s 6-1/2 months of operation because it is not yet fully automated. The work has reached a stage where the construction team needs to open the roof for a day to install “load-balancing” gauges that will be used to ensure future roof moves are within design capacity, Cannon said. So the thought occurred to stadium and team officials that the need to open the roof for construction purposes could conveniently coincide with Atlanta United’s home opener. 

Alas, the weather forecast intervened. 

“If the weather says no, then we’ll wait for the weather to clear and open it as a construction move,” Cannon said. 

He described the work still to be done on the roof as primarily “final balancing” followed by “final automation.” As that work is done, there will be a five-week stretch in which the roof must remain closed and a 10-day stretch in which it will remain open, he said.

“Early summer is when it’s going to be a push-button (operation), meaning push the button and 11 minutes later it’s open,” Cannon said. 

For now, moves of the roof take much longer and require more advance planning. 

“I want the roof opening to be part of the show,” Cannon said. 

He noted that the NFL requires the roof to be in its game configuration 90 minutes before kickoff, before most fans are in their seats, but that MLS has no such mandate, meaning that after it is automated the roof could be opened shortly before soccer matches with fans watching the spectacle. 

“I want this roof to be not just this static thing that is either in the open or closed position when you enter the building,” Cannon said. “It is an iconic feature that is unique in the world, and it is in our city, in our building, and how cool would it be for (opening it) to become part of the show?” 

Waterproofing work also is continuing on the roof, which has leaked at times, including during pregame warm-ups for the college football national championship game Jan. 8. 

“We had so many workers working so hard to sprint to get ready for (the stadium’s opening in August) that there was some flashing, some materials, some caulking, some overlaps that weren’t perfect,” Cannon said. “Those connections are being redone, re-caulked, re-flashed and readdressed, and now every rain is another shakeout opportunity for us to chase if there’s another leak.

“We’ve managed to take what was a larger number of leaks and shrunk it down to a very, very small number. And that work will continue until we’ve got it done.” 

This weekend’s weather could again test the waterproofing. 

Cannon also addressed the stadium’s egress issues, which have drawn complaints at some events. 

He said extensive review of stadium video revealed two “pinch points,” both on the 100-level concourse, causing the congestion as fans leave the stadium: one near the display of Georgia high school football helmets and another near the Terrapin Bar. 

He said a series of “big and small” changes have been made, including installing additional doors on the east end, removing a storage closet near the helmet display to add concourse width, using TV monitors to direct departing fans and taking two escalators out of service after events to avoid delivering  more fans into the congestion at the pinch points. 

“To put egress topics in context, 1.8 million people have attended 30-plus events, and we had a No. 1 ranking (in an NFL fan survey) in safety and security,” Cannon said. 

AMB Group has selected an outside consultant, which it hasn’t named publicly, to evaluate the stadium’s egress issue. The consultant will “look at everything that has been done and look at ways to make additional improvements,” Cannon said.

Edited by mountain_jim3

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I predicted over a year ago the MBS roof would wind up just like Montreal's, which was open a total of EIGHT TIMES before it was closed forever:  Related image

I stand by that prediction.  Two billion bucks for leaks and a 'Sorry We're Closed'

Chick-Filet.   Lmao.

download.jpg

2 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

I dont know if the NFL really understands, or has a mis-perception about January weather in Atlanta .... but its usually always pretty freaking cold and rainy/sleet/snow and generally miserable. Its not like south Florida or Texas in the winter where its sunny and 80 degrees.

I live in Central Texas. It is not sunny and 80 Degrees in January. It is still pretty darn cold, (snowed 2 times in January this year, 1 time last year, 1 time in 2016)   

Just wanted to make sure the mis-perception was corrected here as well. 

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I'm glad I went to the opener vs the Packers and got to see it open. Who knows when the **** they will re-open it again.

I saw it open once, and I wonder the same thing.