So now R. Allen wants a long term contract ... ???

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

#Brotherhood  :lol:

Ricardo Allen is handling his situation above and beyond.  It's made me respect the guy even more.

He's delayed signing his tender because he knows that would decrease urgency for the Falcons to give him a deal, but he agreed to sign an injury waiver so he could be with his brothers at the OTAs.

That's a leader right there, the Falcons need this kind of dude.  Hope they work it out.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Offer him a 4M/yr deal and sign him now. I still stand my belief that if we can get nasty on the interior, we don’t need a top 10 FS. Rico is probably just outside the top 10 and should be locked up for a reasonable salary. 

Don't let KoG see this post he'll be like WTF.lol.

:bang:

Is there anyone really questioning if he should get a long term contract, knowing how nothing is guaranteed in the sport?  I think the question is more about is R Allen worth what he thinks he should get?  I'm guessing R Allen wants to get paid too and if so, then I think we should pass and could do better.  Maybe with a good contract that is team friendly, then I would like to keep him but I don't think he is worth big time money that he is probably wanting to get.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, caponine said:

Cover 9@9: Allen wants long-term deal, too 

10h ago, May 23, 2018

120817%20falcons%20photos%20CC13.jpgCCOMPTON@AJC.COM/CURTIS COMPTON December 7, 2017 Atlanta: Ricardo Allen celebrates as Falcons linebacker Deion Jones hits the ground intercepting Saints quarterback Drew Brees pass intended for tight end Josh Hill in the endzone to hold on to a 20-17 victory in a NFL football game on Thursday, December 7, 2017, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Good morning! Welcome to the Cover 9@9 blog. It’s our weekly list of nine things at 9 a.m. Wednesday that you need to know about the Atlanta Falcons. 

1. The Falcons’ money train. The Falcons have paid quarterback Matt Ryan.

Julio Jones has reportedly taken notice of the shifting wide receiver market.

The Falcons have said they want to address left tackle Jake Matthews and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett next.

Then, there’s the matter of free safety Ricardo Allen. The team has tendered the restricted free agent at the second-round level at $2.914 million.

“I have a tender,” Allen said on Tuesday. “I haven’t signed it yet. That’s what you all hope for (a long-term contract).”

So, Allen, who recently graduated from Purdue, is also hoping for a long-term deal with the team.

“I just take it day by day,” Allen said. “I come out here and do my best for the team. I put myself in a good situation and I want to keep going.”

Allen, who played at Purdue from 2010-2013, was drafted by the Falcons in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft as a cornerback. 

After a bumpy start to his career, he’s settled in nicely as the team’s starting free safety after a position switch under coach Dan Quinn.

In four seasons with the Falcons, Allen has played in 46 games and made 45 starts. He has made six interceptions, 10 deflected passes, one fumble recovery and 158 tackles.

Allen was proud that he returned to college to earn his degree.

“It was good, just going to school for all those years, when I left, I didn’t come out with anything at first, but I always knew that I had a plan to go back and finish,” Allen said. “ It felt great to be able to walk on that stage even though it wasn’t with anybody that I personally knew, but it was all good.”

I know it’s Bedwetter but still its makes you wonder if the falcons would give him one. He has been a good safety the last few years. Has Ricardo done enough to earn himself a long term contract?

Yes

On 5/24/2018 at 2:16 PM, Knight of God said:

I was 5’10 165 running a 4.32 in my first year of semi pro, years later I was 5’10” 185 running 4.4

at 33 my last year of semi pro I was just at 200 and running. 4.49 and 4.5

Free Safety

I’m 5’11” 185 amd run a 6.9 40 lol

@Vandy I could beat rich risen?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, caponine said:

which i dont have a problem with, but he is just one guy that is going to be a hard decision , just like coleman and possibly sanu are. Thats really what i was relating it to. Is he a guy that is an absolute must for the team or is he replaceable? I guess we will find out at some point

The question is..... WHO do we replace him with? Do we ruin continuity in the secondary because we are strapped for cash? We all know "You cant pay everybody". He is a vital piece. His job is more important than anyone else's in the secondary. Trufant and Rocky are paid. Keke has a few more years. Grady looming in near future. Debo and Dre in the not so near future.  Man I love having all this talent but it sucks when you start having to decide which good to great players you have to let go. Shame on Quinn and Dimitroff for drafting so well. lol

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

The question is..... WHO do we replace him with? Do we ruin continuity in the secondary because we are strapped for cash? We all know "You cant pay everybody". He is a vital piece. His job is more important than anyone else's in the secondary. Trufant and Rocky are paid. Keke has a few more years. Grady looming in near future. Debo and Dre in the not so near future.  Man I love having all this talent but it sucks when you start having to decide which good to great players you have to let go. Shame on Quinn and Dimitroff for drafting so well. lol

Check out @Damontaekazee’s Tweet:

14 hours ago, Knight of God said:

You’re doing it wrong. I’m 43, 205 and ran a 4.78 about a month ago just having fun with my brothers. 

Ha that’s good. I haven’t a clue what I’d run it in. The fastest in my prime was 4.4 at 170 many moons ago.

although rico is so slow I might give him a close race

On 5/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, hjerry said:

Kazzee has the coverage skills, but I'm just not sure he's really athletic enough to hold that position down long term, though he could potentially handle it in the same manner that Allen has, which wouldn't be bad, at least until we could find an ideal starter there.

If Ollie has a strong year Alford would be a stud at fs imo

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, Knight of God said:

I was 5’10 165 running a 4.32 in my first year of semi pro, years later I was 5’10” 185 running 4.4

at 33 my last year of semi pro I was just at 200 and running. 4.49 and 4.5

Free Safety

Those are some pretty fast times.  Whats your 100m look like? I only ask because Im certain you were asked to run track if you were that fast on the football field. I played both safety spots and CB in high school. Played semi pro 1 year. I was probably a better safety than I was CB. Im more physical than most. At CB I was always peeking into backfield because I wanted to hit somebody on run plays.  I ran a 10.98 at track practice(Wife coaches at our alma mater). I want to run some 40s. Im betting im somewhere between 4.42 and 4.48. I actually got faster since high school. I just don't have the boundless energy I had at 16, 17 yrs old. I could run and smash all day long.

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

Those are some pretty fast times.  Whats your 100m look like? I only ask because Im certain you were asked to run track if you were that fast on the football field. I played both safety spots and CB in high school. Played semi pro 1 year. I was probably a better safety than I was CB. Im more physical than most. At CB I was always peeking into backfield because I wanted to hit somebody on run plays.  I ran a 10.98 at track practice(Wife coaches at our alma mater). I want to run some 40s. Im betting im somewhere between 4.42 and 4.48. I actually got faster since high school. I just don't have the boundless energy I had at 16, 17 yrs old. I could run and smash all day long.

I ran 11.11 in the 100. Bad form was my weakness so I only ran the 400 and 800 in comp. Only ran track 1yr. Hated it

On 5/26/2018 at 1:53 AM, Stryka said:

Kazee, looks more athletic than Ricardo Allen, and is more of a ballhawk than him. I wouldnt call him a vital piece, i mean he is important but not vital. Too many stars on this defense to give Allen a long term contract. I disagree his position is the most important, the reason why our secondary was so good last season was because of Alford’s improvement. He basically cut off a third off the field in some cases. He made the secondary better followed by Neal. Those two guys are vital pieces

Edited by caponine

Forgive my ignorance as I don't follow the NFL that much (this happens when you grow up a Bengals fan), but my sons, especially my older son, have always followed Ricardo since his playing days at Purdue.  What are Ricardo's options at this point since the Falcons gave him an offer?  Is it sign and play with the Falcons or not sign and not play?  Really wondering if there is an option that he can sign with another team?

Edited by jb5
4 hours ago, caponine said:

Kazee, looks more athletic than Ricardo Allen, and is more of a ballhawk than him. I wouldnt call him a vital piece, i mean he is important but not vital. Too many stars on this defense to give Allen a long term contract. I disagree his position is the most important, the reason why our secondary was so good last season was because of Alford’s improvement. He basically cut off a third off the field in some cases. He made the secondary better followed by Neal. Those two guys are vital pieces

We know this how?