So now R. Allen wants a long term contract ... ???

caponine

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I’m not saying that, as I agree he’s not a priority long-term player. But Jake Mathews for example is a priority player who they’ve also kept pushing down the road, so I think it’s more about cap management than it is anything else.  

Ok, got it.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

This is why I don't like it when players of privilege like Julio Jones want more money. Those types of players had it easy. Guys like Allen have had to fight for everything they got. 

What is a player of privilege? Oh you mean someone who has fought hard all of his life and was successful at it?

14 hours ago, hjerry said:

He's not demanding a contract or he won't play. He was asked if he wanted a long term deal and answered yes, which is perfectly reasonable.

On top of that, he was intentionally non-confrontational in his answer, "That's what you [we?] all hope for."

59 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’m not saying that, as I agree he’s not a priority long-term player. But Jake Mathews for example is a priority player who they’ve also kept pushing down the road, so I think it’s more about cap management than it is anything else.  

wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them do the same with Beasley/Jarrett for a year or two. It’s just cash management.

I don’t blame them after Extending Sam Baker too soon. Jake is a very good LT but injuries are always a concern for OL.

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t blame them after Extending Sam Baker too soon. Jake is a very good LT but injuries are always a concern for OL.

Sam Baker's rookie contract was expired and he was set to enter Free Agency when the Falcons resigned him.

Jake Matthews hasn't exactly been injury proned, I think the Falcons still aren't sure if he is worth the long term investment.  They might want to see how he does this year.

7 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

You can lock up other guys first though depending on the deal. If Rico will accept 3-4M/yr you can do it right now 

I would jump all over that but I think he would want more honestly and probably get it if he walked 

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Someone who is ungodly talented and has been recognized as ungodly talented his whole life. 

Most nfl players have ‘ungodly talent’...and plenty of folks with similar talent who aren’t in NFL because they lacked their drive...

wide receivers like Julio and safeties like rico are one play away from seeing their careers snatched away. 

With a short career span and possible long-term health ramifications/risks, These guys deserve all $$$ they can get. 

58 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Someone who is ungodly talented and has been recognized as ungodly talented his whole life. 

You can have all of the athleticism in the world and if you don’t work hard you will suck. Period! That’s poor logic. The most athletic guys I know are at home watching sports

14 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

You can have all of the athleticism in the world and if you don’t work hard you will suck. Period! That’s poor logic. The most athletic guys I know are at home watching sports

This is so true....I was one of them...I was 225 and strong as an ox and was clocked several times at a 4.29...it takes more than being athletic....

59 minutes ago, jamesmasen said:

I would jump all over that but I think he would want more honestly and probably get it if he walked 

I think depends on length of the deal and guaranteed money. If they give him extra years and guarantee enough of it he might do it 

2 hours ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons have

Sam Baker's rookie contract was expired and he was set to enter Free Agency when the Falcons resigned him.

Jake Matthews hasn't exactly been injury proned, I think the Falcons still aren't sure if he is worth the long term investment.  They might want to see how he does this year.

They could have tagged Sam Baker for much cheaper than the huge contract he got after 2012. I never said Mathews is injury Prone, but injuries happen in NFL. Falcons will probably extend him in the mid season around the bye week.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Most nfl players have ‘ungodly talent’...and plenty of folks with similar talent who aren’t in NFL because they lacked their drive...

wide receivers like Julio and safeties like rico are one play away from seeing their careers snatched away. 

With a short career span and possible long-term health ramifications/risks, These guys deserve all they can get. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

With a short career span and possible long-term health ramifications/risks, These guys deserve all they can get. 

Julio Jones was a 5-star prep recruit who went to the best college program in the country, was a top 10 draft pick, was a star as soon as he entered the NFL, and when his rookie contract was set to expire, he signed the richest ever extension for a player at his position. He has now made over $60 million. 

Ricardo Allen was a 3-star prep recruit who played football at a Big Ten engineering school no one else other than its alum cares about, was a 5th round draft pick, didn't play a snap his rookie season, made a position change, and has now has established himself as a solid-to-good starter. In his four years in the NFL, he's made about $2 million total. 

31 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Julio Jones was a 5-star prep recruit who went to the best college program in the country, was a top 10 draft pick, was a star as soon as he entered the NFL, and when his rookie contract was set to expire, he signed the richest ever extension for a player at his position. He has now made over $60 million. 

Ricardo Allen was a 3-star prep recruit who played football at a Big Ten engineering school no one else other than its alum cares about, was a 5th round draft pick, didn't play a snap his rookie season, made a position change, and has now has established himself as a solid-to-good starter. In his four years in the NFL, he's made about $2 million total. 

Is there a counter-point to what I said in this rambling?

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

This is so true....I was one of them...I was 225 and strong as an ox and was clocked several times at a 4.29...it takes more than being athletic....

225 running a 4.29? Dayum, ROH!!!!

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

225 running a 4.29? Dayum, ROH!!!!

Yeah man....running back....no guidance...thought I had arrived...and my @ss never got on the bus...lol

Thats why I love talking to kids man...to let them know it takes hard work and dedication if you want to succeed in anything...

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Is there a counter-point to what I said in this rambling?

Did you have a counter-point to my original post or did you just want to go on a tangent? 

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

This is why I don't like it when players of privilege like Julio Jones want more money. Those types of players had it easy. Guys like Allen have had to fight for everything they got.