So now R. Allen wants a long term contract ... ???

3 hours ago, caponine said:

Cover 9@9: Allen wants long-term deal, too 

10h ago, May 23, 2018

120817%20falcons%20photos%20CC13.jpgCCOMPTON@AJC.COM/CURTIS COMPTON December 7, 2017 Atlanta: Ricardo Allen celebrates as Falcons linebacker Deion Jones hits the ground intercepting Saints quarterback Drew Brees pass intended for tight end Josh Hill in the endzone to hold on to a 20-17 victory in a NFL football game on Thursday, December 7, 2017, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Good morning! Welcome to the Cover 9@9 blog. It’s our weekly list of nine things at 9 a.m. Wednesday that you need to know about the Atlanta Falcons. 

1. The Falcons’ money train. The Falcons have paid quarterback Matt Ryan.

Julio Jones has reportedly taken notice of the shifting wide receiver market.

The Falcons have said they want to address left tackle Jake Matthews and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett next.

Then, there’s the matter of free safety Ricardo Allen. The team has tendered the restricted free agent at the second-round level at $2.914 million.

“I have a tender,” Allen said on Tuesday. “I haven’t signed it yet. That’s what you all hope for (a long-term contract).”

So, Allen, who recently graduated from Purdue, is also hoping for a long-term deal with the team.

“I just take it day by day,” Allen said. “I come out here and do my best for the team. I put myself in a good situation and I want to keep going.”

Allen, who played at Purdue from 2010-2013, was drafted by the Falcons in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft as a cornerback. 

After a bumpy start to his career, he’s settled in nicely as the team’s starting free safety after a position switch under coach Dan Quinn.

In four seasons with the Falcons, Allen has played in 46 games and made 45 starts. He has made six interceptions, 10 deflected passes, one fumble recovery and 158 tackles.

Allen was proud that he returned to college to earn his degree.

“It was good, just going to school for all those years, when I left, I didn’t come out with anything at first, but I always knew that I had a plan to go back and finish,” Allen said. “ It felt great to be able to walk on that stage even though it wasn’t with anybody that I personally knew, but it was all good.”

I know it’s Bedwetter but still its makes you wonder if the falcons would give him one. He has been a good safety the last few years. Has Ricardo done enough to earn himself a long term contract?

Long term, sure. Top 10 player at his position type contract nah.. I think we could find some one serviceable on the b-c tier bucket that DQ likes to raid in the offseason. Do like Cardo though 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was like, must be a slow news day for the Falcoholic if they're acting like this means that Ricardo Allen actually wants a new contract any more than every player in the NFL wants a bigger contract....

...then I scrolled back up and saw it was the AJC and it made much more sense.

It amazes me to no end that people get so personally involved over contracts & money these guys will or will not get.

As usual, we have an entire organization in place to make financial decisions about JJ, MR, Rico and everyone else.

I’m thankful that I don’t have to work out any of it.  I have no reason to doubt anything they’ve done & I have faith they’ll do what needs to be done or do nothing at all.  

LMAO, they also need to throw that clown Ledbetter out & find someone else at the urinal & constipation.

23 minutes ago, caponine said:

but will he get it ? ,thats the question

I doubt it. Going back to his Seattle days, Quinn and his front office have let go of guys who started to demand more than they're worth to resign.  Have with the Falcons too, see Poe, Gabriel and Clayborn, these are easy decisions as the tougher decisions come in the next few years.

With other contracts looming, Allen probably has to play the season of his life to not just be a guy who will be used in this scheme until he's expensive enough for someone else to overpay for. 

Either that, or he really lowers his expectations of what it takes to keep him longterm, because while he's good and valuable while we're trying to win a Superbowl, he's replaceable too.

4 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Especially in his case.  He's started the last 3 years for peanuts (last 2 under ERFA tender for minumum salary).  He more than deserves a shot at a LTD, but the fact that we've kept him on one year tenders year after year suggests to me that it may end up being elsewhere.

This is the inkling I get.

I don't think we want to give him a long term deal as you mentioned they haven't been in a hurry to get anything done with him.To me when I look at Allen he'll be one of those guys at the top of the list in the hard decision basket followed by Coleman.

18 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is the inkling I get.

I don't think we want to give him a long term deal as you mentioned they haven't been in a hurry to get anything done with him.To me when I look at Allen he'll be one of those guys at the top of the list in the hard decision basket followed by Coleman.

For sure.  It's possible they could work it out to keep either one, but it's often the mid-tier guys that they feel like they can replace more easily with a draft pick, etc.

If you look at it as Coleman + Allen equaling about the cost of a key piece, it makes sense why that is.

1 minute ago, NeonDeion said:

Offer him a 4M/yr deal and sign him now. I still stand my belief that if we can get nasty on the interior, we don’t need a top 10 FS. Rico is probably just outside the top 10 and should be locked up for a reasonable salary. 

Truthfully, Manuel did a lot of things to help Allen last year. I think he’s a very solid fit for our core now. Multiple af, takes good angles, and doesn’t let ish get behind him. Yeah the seams are wide open still, but we can fight that in different ways. I hope we lock him up in a reasonable deal

1 hour ago, jamesmasen said:

I like Rico but definitely need Grady and Debo signed first.. period. I think he's a good player but no Keanu Neal if you know what I'm saying

You can lock up other guys first though depending on the deal. If Rico will accept 3-4M/yr you can do it right now 

1 hour ago, Da_Truth said:

Bingo!  It seems to me DQ and TD feel we can get better at the position. 

Meh, that’s a stretch. I think it’s more cost management than anything, very commonly done.

But Whether they actually feel that way or not, there’s always the possibility they could get worse at the position as well. See Duke Riley last season, causing team to scramble and play Vic Beasley out of position.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Meh, that’s a stretch. I think it’s more cost management than anything, very commonly done.

But Whether they actually feel that way or not, there’s always the possibility they could get worse at the position as well. See Duke Riley last season, causing team to scramble and play Vic Beasley out of position.

Sorry but not a stretch.  Falcons have historically signed guys early rather than later.  If Allen is an integral part of this team going forward, why wasn't he given a long term contract last year?  Instead was given the same tag for vet minimum. Doesn't appear to be a priority player.  Falcons can do better and their actions appear to match my belief.

12 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Especially in his case.  He's started the last 3 years for peanuts (last 2 under ERFA tender for minumum salary).  He more than deserves a shot at a LTD, but the fact that we've kept him on one year tenders year after year suggests to me that it may end up being elsewhere.

Hey side note so I can't post pictures and things it says I've reached my attachment quota how do I fix that lol

As much as they appreciate that he gives all he can give, I'm not sure he is going to get a long term deal.  I kind of think the Falcons will be looking to save some cap space for more important guys by letting Rico walk after this season and letting Kazee take over at FS for a couple of years.

39 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Sorry but not a stretch.  Falcons have historically signed guys early rather than later.  If Allen is an integral part of this team going forward, why wasn't he given a long term contract last year?  Instead was given the same tag for vet minimum. Doesn't appear to be a priority player.  Falcons can do better and their actions appear to match my belief.

I’m not saying that, as I agree he’s not a priority long-term player. But Jake Mathews for example is a priority player who they’ve also kept pushing down the road, so I think it’s more about cap management than it is anything else.  

wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them do the same with Beasley/Jarrett for a year or two. It’s just cash management.