So now R. Allen wants a long term contract ... ???

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

One bad injury and you may never play again, and sometimes, even if you can play, you're never the same again, and also sometimes, you get injured and come back from injury to find someone else now has your job

Many players have had such things happen to them before they could get a long term deal and lost money (or a long term deal at all) as a result

Get what you can while you can

which is why im wondering if another teams signs him for a good contract. Ive just heard endlessly how this team drafts well, and that some guys are more replaceable than others for example. Last year there were some people that thought Kazee could come in and take the job at some point

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Especially in his case.  He's started the last 3 years for peanuts (last 2 under ERFA tender for minumum salary).  He more than deserves a shot at a LTD, but the fact that we've kept him on one year tenders year after year suggests to me that it may end up being elsewhere.

I've really always gotten the feeling that, as much they love Allen, and I truly believe that Quinn does, he was always kinda a stopgap for them. He really doesn't have that ideal skillset for what we want at that position, but he works, we had other needs, players with that skillset are really hard to find.

They don't tackle in OTAs. Unfortunately, the activity they undertake does create potential for injury. These guys are workout warriors and the one part of an athlete's body that can't be bulked up or strengthened is knee ligaments. Every off-season players tear their knees by making a routine cut or by landing awkwardly. It's never something that you expect to happen but it's also never something that surprises anyone.

Just now, caponine said:

which is why im wondering if another teams signs him for a good contract. Ive just heard endlessly how this team drafts well, and that some guys are more replaceable than others for example. Last year there were some people that thought Kazee could come in and take the job at some point

Kazzee has the coverage skills, but I'm just not sure he's really athletic enough to hold that position down long term, though he could potentially handle it in the same manner that Allen has, which wouldn't be bad, at least until we could find an ideal starter there.

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I've really always gotten the feeling that, as much they love Allen, and I truly believe that Quinn does, he was always kinda a stopgap for them. He really doesn't have that ideal skillset for what we want at that position, but he works, we had other needs, players with that skillset are really hard to find.

He's reliable if not one of the league's best. I expect him to sign a three-year deal and be gone by the end of year two.

42 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Especially in his case.  He's started the last 3 years for peanuts (last 2 under ERFA tender for minumum salary).  He more than deserves a shot at a LTD, but the fact that we've kept him on one year tenders year after year suggests to me that it may end up being elsewhere.

Completely agree.  Dude is a team player and under appreciated.  $5,000,000 annually does not seem unreasonable.  

Got no problem with Rico wanting a longer term contract, but it's got to be team friendly,as has been discussed here over and over. Can see where this current Falcon team might be losing a player or 3 if they perform well this year starting next season, Allen is good not great could be one that just gets a much better deal elsewhere. Thing is Matthews ,Beasley and Jarret could all get big contracts if they were to hit the open market. Sucks as a fan but don't blame them a bit, got to make it while they can.