Jump to content

gear acquisition syndrome thread


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Now that I have the DGT, 335, strat, and tele (and still need to get some drop-in single coil-sized p90's for the Melody Maker) I'm not coveting any other electrics.  That's why I want to reward myself with a nice amp. 

I'm not actively looking for other guitars.  I will get a 335 one day.  I'd love an SG or a doublecut Les Paul for slide.  I'd like to give my Tele to one of the girls and get a 52 RI.

But I have no burning desire for any other guitars right now, and I have WAY too many amps as it is.  I mean, I only have four, but that's probably 2 too many, and again, one day I'll likely sell 3 and get a modeler.  The Deluxe Reverb is an heirloom, though.  It stays.

If I could get some money gigs lined up, since I basically do money gigs to buy gear, I'd just save up the earnings and buy whatever.  But I think I'm mostly a Strat/Les Paul guy, and while I love my little Marshall amp, they're all just too loud for home use.  And I'm turning down money gigs right now because they don't interest me.  We had a chance to do an acoustic residency at a local brewery and I said "nah, I'm good."  If we can do it full band I'd do it in a second, but I'm not big on acoustic gigs.  I basically strum and sing backup on those anyway for the most part, and it's not really fun.  And I have to do a bunch of music that bores me.  Nobody wants to hear "Panties in Her Purse" or "Ellis Unit One" at those gigs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

while I love my little Marshall amp, they're all just too loud for home use.

We're going to a Braves game on June 1st with Leadership Georgia folks and I asked my wife if we can go to the Atlanta Guitar Center first, I want to play the mini dirty shirley if they have one because I can't get it unless it has a good master volume, which from everything I've read it does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

We're going to a Braves game on June 1st with Leadership Georgia folks and I asked my wife if we can go to the Atlanta Guitar Center first, I want to play the mini dirty shirley if they have one because I can't get it unless it has a good master volume, which from everything I've read it does. 

I’ve never met a good master volume. I wouldn’t know what one sounds like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, mdrake34 said:

 

That’s weird, I posted what I thought was a Mesa Fillmore 25 demo on my desktop, but looking at the mobile site on my phone it **** sure is a SRV video. Weird. 

This is what I meant to post 

 

LOL i Was like ...ok.....I didnt get the connection. But.....I ran with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on a little bit of a pickup journey and long story short, the ones that came in Drake's guitar are going back in, and the ones that are in it now (pulled from my other Les Paul) are going back in the other one.

I'll be selling a very nice 57 Classic.  I might use the proceeds to buy another pedal.  Not sure what though (or if, honestly -- I might just call it a net win).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JDaveG Saturday before the Braves game I went to the Atlanta guitar center, I wanted to play a Friedman mini dirty shirley. Only Friedman they had was a Smallbox, which was ****ing AWESOME, but too big/expensive. I tried a Marshall Origin 20 head to satisfy my curiosity. Ewwie. On the lowest wattage, which probably could work for me, total can of bees distortion. Flipped it to the 20 watt setting, loud as balls.

The salesman sucked.  He took me in the platinum room and first plugged me into a Supro Black Majick, which I didn't ask for, and handed me a 1973 Tele Deluxe with the original wide range humbuckers, which I also didn't ask for.  I was eying a 60's SG specials with p90's.  Next he handed me a PRS S2 after I told him my main guitar was the DGT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

@JDaveG Saturday before the Braves game I went to the Atlanta guitar center, I wanted to play a Friedman mini dirty shirley. Only Friedman they had was a Smallbox, which was ****ing AWESOME, but too big/expensive. I tried a Marshall Origin 20 head to satisfy my curiosity. Ewwie. On the lowest wattage, which probably could work for me, total can of bees distortion. Flipped it to the 20 watt setting, loud as balls.

The salesman sucked.  He took me in the platinum room and first plugged me into a Supro Black Majick, which I didn't ask for, and handed me a 1973 Tele Deluxe with the original wide range humbuckers, which I also didn't ask for.  I was eying a 60's SG specials with p90's.  Next he handed me a PRS S2 after I told him my main guitar was the DGT. 

I'm glad you tried the Marshall Origin so I don't have to.  At some point, I am considering selling off my Ceriatone head and my AC30 to fund a mini-plexi.  I'll be sure to try it first, since presumably it uses the same power scaling as the Origin.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SV20H--marshall-sv20h-studio-vintage-20-5-watt-tube-head?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3332697095&rkg_id=0&product_id=SV20H&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - SKU - Guitars&adgroup=Guitar Amps - Marshall - sv20h&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=337614398318&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzK63xOrP4gIVhLfACh15IAF4EAQYASABEgKTRPD_BwE

S2 for a DGT.  What a beaterhead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'm glad you tried the Marshall Origin so I don't have to.  At some point, I am considering selling off my Ceriatone head and my AC30 to fund a mini-plexi.  I'll be sure to try it first, since presumably it uses the same power scaling as the Origin.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SV20H--marshall-sv20h-studio-vintage-20-5-watt-tube-head?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3332697095&rkg_id=0&product_id=SV20H&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - SKU - Guitars&adgroup=Guitar Amps - Marshall - sv20h&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=337614398318&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzK63xOrP4gIVhLfACh15IAF4EAQYASABEgKTRPD_BwE

S2 for a DGT.  What a beaterhead.

From what I've read, those sound better than the Origins.  They don't have the exact same power scaling as the Origins, they just switch between full 20 watts or 5 watts.  I was interested in those too, but 5 watts would still be too loud for me at home. 

Origins do still get a lot of good reviews, but those folks confirm you have to crank them on full power.  The SV is made in England. 

The one good thing about the trip was the Small Box's master volume was awesome, it could technically work for me, so that gives me confidence that the mini dirty shirley head's MV will be just as good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

The more I think about it, I think I am going to go with a used Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini.  I think I also want a 2x12 cab as it will sound fuller at low volume.  That would replace the Bassbreaker. 

I was playing my Strat and the 2016 LP this morning through my 18 Watt.  

There is nothing like a Marshall amp.  On about 5, I can get sparkly clean with a touch of hair (with the Strat) to some mild, spongy grind (with the LP), and kick on the Fulldrive for as much dirt as I will ever use.

It's loud on 5 -- it won't do for what you want.  But I can't imagine you won't be pleased with the Friedman.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...