Jump to content

gear acquisition syndrome thread


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

Good Ol Stevie T. Annoying and entertaining all at once and pretty dang good.

 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

A steel string singer?

That’s weird, I posted what I thought was a Mesa Fillmore 25 demo on my desktop, but looking at the mobile site on my phone it **** sure is a SRV video. Weird. 

This is what I meant to post 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

 

That’s weird, I posted what I thought was a Mesa Fillmore 25 demo on my desktop, but looking at the mobile site on my phone it **** sure is a SRV video. Weird. 

This is what I meant to post 

 

Gotcha.  They look sweet, but honestly, I'm way more into more traditional stuff these days.  It sounds a lot like a Deluxe Reverb, which is weird since it's called the Fillmore.  

I'd stick with Friedman, Goodsell, etc. if you're going to drop some coin on a good amp.  But that's me.  The one "non-traditional" amp I'd consider is a Sommatone Roaring 20.  Because Mike Cooley and Jason Isbell, that's why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way, @mdrake34, I effed up the neck Antiquity rolling magnets.  I apparently nicked the coil and it needs a rewind.  Debating whether to send them both in and tell them to rewind them as Seths (or maybe Pearlies) or just have this one fixed and sell them.

Alternatively, I might send them to Wolfe Macleod and have him rewind them both as Marshallheads.

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I'm done gigging, or when I eventually retire to doing a bunch of crappy gala gigs playing top 40 crap, I'm going to sell a LOT of gear and fund a Kemper, Fractal or Helix.

Of those, I'd prefer to buy the Kemper, model everything, then sell.  I'll keep my Deluxe Reverb and that might be the only thing I keep.  My tinnitus hates working up a new rig for gigs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

When I'm done gigging, or when I eventually retire to doing a bunch of crappy gala gigs playing top 40 crap, I'm going to sell a LOT of gear and fund a Kemper, Fractal or Helix.

Of those, I'd prefer to buy the Kemper, model everything, then sell.  I'll keep my Deluxe Reverb and that might be the only thing I keep.  My tinnitus hates working up a new rig for gigs.

a cool thing about the helix is that it can literally be the only thing you take to a gig other than the guitar

dont even need an amp iirc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, achilles return said:

a cool thing about the helix is that it can literally be the only thing you take to a gig other than the guitar

dont even need an amp iirc

Correct, but that's technically true of any of them.  In fact, the benefit of all three live is you can work up tones at home and but for the Fletcher-Munson curve (at some point you have to play them loud to ensure they're right), what you hear on your headphones or through a full range flat response speaker will be what goes out the mains and in your monitor.

To me, the benefit of not having to crank a tube amp and run my effects through it at home is I don't further damage my hearing.  Live I don't notice as much, but I'm sure it's bad there too.

38 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Apparently I need a suhr too, the best two demos of the Mini Dirty Shirley feature them.  Really wish the second guy was wearing a shirt though :ninja:

 

Learn from my mistake.  In a way, you already have.

Once upon a time I went into Maple Street Music to pick up the handwired Deluxe Reverb clone I ordered.  They asked me to pick a guitar off the wall to test it out.  I'd been looking for a Les Paul but they didn't have anything I wanted, so I grabbed a PRS DGT.  I'd heard of them, but when I played it I had to have it.

11 years later, after loving it, and then finding I didn't play it very much especially after I finally got a Les Paul, I traded it to you for a Les Paul that would have been exactly what I wanted in the first place had they had one in stock at Maple Street.

So you now own the guitar I bought on a whim one day in 2008.  Don't buy guitars on a whim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The REALLY cool thing about the Helix though is you can get Helix Native for the computer, and now what you play live and what you use to practice or record at home is the exact same consistent tone, every single time you use it. You can run the Helix or any of the other two into the computer too, but with Helix live, you don't have to run all that cabling to the computer.  When you're married with 3 kids, that's important, because they tend to move things out of their way without mercy.

I love tube amps.  There's nothing like that punch and the dynamics you get with them.  But they are heavy, loud and the tone changes in every room you put it in.  Outdoor gigs are an adventure unto themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Correct, but that's technically true of any of them.  In fact, the benefit of all three live is you can work up tones at home and but for the Fletcher-Munson curve (at some point you have to play them loud to ensure they're right), what you hear on your headphones or through a full range flat response speaker will be what goes out the mains and in your monitor.

To me, the benefit of not having to crank a tube amp and run my effects through it at home is I don't further damage my hearing.  Live I don't notice as much, but I'm sure it's bad there too.

Learn from my mistake.  In a way, you already have.

Once upon a time I went into Maple Street Music to pick up the handwired Deluxe Reverb clone I ordered.  They asked me to pick a guitar off the wall to test it out.  I'd been looking for a Les Paul but they didn't have anything I wanted, so I grabbed a PRS DGT.  I'd heard of them, but when I played it I had to have it.

11 years later, after loving it, and then finding I didn't play it very much especially after I finally got a Les Paul, I traded it to you for a Les Paul that would have been exactly what I wanted in the first place had they had one in stock at Maple Street.

So you now own the guitar I bought on a whim one day in 2008.  Don't buy guitars on a whim.

Already owning Dad's strat and tele, I can't see myself buying anymore strat or tele-style guitars unless they were markedly different, HSS strat or tele with a bigsby. I've never played a Suhr, but I don't love the headstock, especially on the tele style guitars they make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I'd prefer this to a Suhr anyways

prs-brent-mason-mccarty-burst-220691-7_(

I prefer to let a PRS be a PRS, which is why I liked the DGT but don't really like their single cuts, the McCarty 594, etc.

PRS is a good guitar manufacturer.  I'd rather have a Custom 22 than their version of another type of guitar.  They should honestly stick to what they do best.  The McCarty and the DGT are both instruments that offer something the Les Paul does not, and the core PRS lineup before them did not.  That's innovation.  The rest is just cheap facsimiles.  A Silver Sky will never be a Strat.  What you posted (whatever it is) might be another innovation, but it strikes me as their take on a Superstrat.  I'd rather have a Charvel with a Floyd and a JB/Jazz set honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mdrake34 said:

It's actually the short-lived Brent Mason signature.  It had the Paul's Guitar Narrowfield humbuckers and coil splits, and the middle single coil from a 305. 

 

See, I prefer Brent with a Telecaster.

But I'm not Brent, so....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...