gear acquisition syndrome thread

cvJYe6o.jpgI added these little cool knobs to my board recently. They are called barefoot buttons. Completely worth it for your board for a variety of reasons. Obviously for the comfort of playing barefoot, but they are nice and large and make it easier to hit the right pedal live or even better, make it easier to turn multiple effects on or off faster. So far they’ve been reliable too. I loctyted them down and they fit nice and flush. Highly recommended for any board imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my mind on the 2nd fuzz and upgraded my acoustic pickup instead.  I had an LR Baggs M1 active and an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI.  They were okay, but there was an annoying sizzle on the high end that I couldn't dial out to save my life.  I upgraded the M1a to the M80, and it is night and day.

In active mode straight into the board, it's still mostly unsatisfying.  To me, it's way too magnetic sounding.  It's a magnetic pickup, but it sounds like everything that's wrong with magnetic pickups.  But in passive mode through the Para DI, I can shape the tone just enough to make it a more convincing acoustic tone.  Still not nearly as good as a soundboard transducer (but it won't feedback live), and certainly not as good as a mic (ditto), but it sounds amazing for what it is.  I considered running it in active mode through the Para DI like did with the M1a, and I decided in the end that this wasn't how I'd want to use it, so basically active mode is a backup in case the Para DI craps out live.  Otherwise, it will always be in passive mode through the preamp.  Going active through the DI gives 2 potential failure points for batteries, etc.  In passive mode, the battery in the pickup is basically just in storage.  It will always be ready if needed.  It's also a huge PITA to change the battery in the pickup, so that's another reason passive makes more sense for my use.  Beyond that, it makes more sense to run it passive into the preamp, since the active mode is already boosting the signal.  That might be one reason for the annoying sizzle I couldn't dial out with the M1a -- I was amplifying it twice.

The biggest reason I went with the acoustic pickup instead of the fuzz is I have 2 acoustic gigs coming up and one is a paying gig (the other is a cancer benefit), and so I can use upcoming gig money to get the fuzz and my live tone for the acoustic gigs will be better.

Y'all, I've had a chance to tweak this setup, and it is honestly just amazing.  I tried the pickup in active mode through the DI again and it was still nowhere near as good as in passive mode.  I also tried in active straight into the monitor again, and it's night and day how much better it is passive through the DI.

I'm not exaggerating at all -- this rivals the expression system on my old Taylor.  It honestly sounds like a dual source system.  It still has a hint of that magnetic twang to it, but it doesn't sound like an old soundhole pickup where it's all this electrified mimicking of an acoustic guitar.  It sounds like a real acoustic.

The Taylor did it without an external DI/preamp/EQ, so it's not really apples to apples, but the Taylor cost nearly $3,000 and this guitar (used), M80 and Para Acoustic DI (used) cost about $740 total, and I can use the pickup and DI with other guitars if I want to.

I decided that I needed to figure out a way to get dad's Blues Deville to a more manageable volume/tone for home playing.  I already bought a JHS Little Black Volume Box that I run in the effects loop, which effectively acts as a master volume control, but I still wasn't, and have never been, in love with the stock tone of that amp.  So I decided to revisit "amp in a box" pedals and scored a Zvex Distortron, which is a JTM45-in-a-box, and I've wanted to try one for years.

For the first time ever, I like the sounds coming from that amp.  The pedal truly does react like an amp, not just a pedal.  I compared it side by side with an Xotic SL Drive, and much preferred the Zvex.  The Zvex has a "subs" 3 position switch to tailor the bass response of the pedal, and it helps it sound huge and helps to dial in the best bass response for the given amp, or between humbuckers and single coils. 

So I'm not building a mini-pedal setup for the Deville rig.  I had previously picked up a Mooer baby tuner for $20, I just got a used Boss DM-2w to be my slapback, and just scored a used Boss BD-2w to be my booster for the Deville rig (or, if I like it better than my Timmy for the big board for my Bassbreaker, to switch places with the Timmy).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

replacing or complimenting the bassbreaker?

At first I thought compliment, and I was looking really hard at the limited edition Princeton Reverb reissues that have 12” speakers, but in reality I play dirty 80% of the time and thought I wanted a nicer Marshall style, or maybe even a modern tweed-inspired circuit. Biggest need is a really good master volume like the Bassbreaker has. I’ve played a Dr. Z Cure which was really cool, but the clouds didn’t part with tone from heaven. My local shop has a Mesa Fillmore 25 that I want to play. Also very intrigued by the Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini. We’re going to the Braves game on June 1st, I asked my wife if we can stop in Guitar Center before hand, I want to play the Friedman if they have it and try the new Marshall studio vintage on 5 watt mode, but I think that would still be too loud for my needs. 

9 hours ago, heyme said:

I just bought my dream guitar. A Fodera emperor standard. She’s absolutely amazing. The best guitar I have ever played on. I got her for a great price on eBay. Somebody didn’t know what they had.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw6_lZdBc5H/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

i would have been one of those clueless sellers, but after looking it up - man that thing sounds great.

7 hours ago, achilles return said:

i would have been one of those clueless sellers, but after looking it up - man that thing sounds great.

The guy still made his money for someone that doesn’t play guitar obviously. I got it about $2000 less than they normally go for.

They’re a small company More known for their basses. Victor Wooten is what helped put them on the map. They’re big thing is using premium top woods. Watching them build the product is an awesome process. Really good stuff!