gear acquisition syndrome thread

On 8/16/2018 at 11:29 PM, JDaveG said:

Specifically, this fuzz pedal -- and this is why: it goes from clean to scream with a twist of the guitar's volume.  I expect my germ Sunface will clean up better, but this one will cut better and work a lot better in a gig setting because of how it cuts.

So I got my Analogman Astrotone back from the TGP’er I traded it to a couple of years ago, and it’s not leaving this time. Awesome with my les Paul and strat. It’s the best FF-sounding pedal into a combo amp out there. 

https://imgur.com/a/obanJw0

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You're the worst gear slut I know.  Way worse than me (and I'm pretty bad).

::high pitched voice "Guiiillllllltttyyyy!"

I'm not replacing it with another amp, just going to rock the bassbreaker and keep dad's deville, which I need to retube at some point.

I am however thinking about taking the plunge into upgrading my LP pickups and a 50's style wiring harness.

Just now, mdrake34 said:

::high pitched voice "Guiiillllllltttyyyy!"

I'm not replacing it with another amp, just going to rock the bassbreaker and keep dad's deville, which I need to retube at some point.

I am however thinking about taking the plunge into upgrading my LP pickups and a 50's style wiring harness.

Your life will change my man.

Unpotted pickups.  Seths, Dr. Vs or something similar for old school (think - Allman Brothers, early Clapton, 70s Aerosmith), and for sure Wolfetone Marshallheads or unpotted Bare Knuckle Mules for something slightly heavier (Gov't Mule, 80s metal, etc.).

I have the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage in mine and they are unreal good.  I mean absolutely amazing pickups.  Tone pots should be fine with normal CTS 500K, but spring for the RS Superpots for the volumes.  They aren't that much more, and the sweep is amazing.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Your life will change my man.

Unpotted pickups.  Seths, Dr. Vs or something similar for old school (think - Allman Brothers, early Clapton, 70s Aerosmith), and for sure Wolfetone Marshallheads or unpotted Bare Knuckle Mules for something slightly heavier (Gov't Mule, 80s metal, etc.).

I have the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage in mine and they are unreal good.  I mean absolutely amazing pickups.  Tone pots should be fine with normal CTS 500K, but spring for the RS Superpots for the volumes.  They aren't that much more, and the sweep is amazing.

I really thought about unpotted pickups, but given that I play usually with at least medium gain most of the time, right in front of my amp, I'm thinking potted.  The Dimarzio 36th anniversaries are what have my eye. They're potted, and modeled after the PAF's in Larry Dimarzio's personal 59, which were not potted.

8 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I really thought about unpotted pickups, but given that I play usually with at least medium gain most of the time, right in front of my amp, I'm thinking potted.  The Dimarzio 36th anniversaries are what have my eye. They're potted, and modeled after the PAF's in Larry Dimarzio's personal 59, which were not potted.

The Marshallheads are pretty much in the medium to Van Halen gain wheelhouse, and they're unpotted.  Mules are the same.  You just have to make sure the cover is on tight (or remove it, one or the other -- yours would look good with double cremes so I'd leave them exposed).

I have never had mine squeal.  Never.  And you know I can't stand microphonic squeal from my saga with the Apache Strat pickups.

Trust me on this one -- you will much prefer unpotted.  They have a depth and organic nature to them, more harmonics.  It's really a huge difference.

I sold a TON of stuff earlier this year... lots of pedals, some camera gear, and my entire 1000+ album record collection.

Down to just:
- a handful of pedals (Univox Super Fuzz clone, Lovepedal Pickle Vibe, Lovepedal Babyface Tremolo, MXR Carbon Copy delay, MXR MC404 CAE Dual Inductor Wah)
- Soldano HR50 & 4x12 cab
- Acoustic 470 head
- VHT 2x12 Fatbottom cab
- Blackstar HT-1 1-watt combo/practice amp
- '61 Reissue SG
- Gretsch Rancher Jr. acoustic

Definitely gonna try to unload the Acoustic head & VHT cab... and having serious thoughts on whether or not I will ever actually have the need for the Soldano again.

My current set up

Gold tone GRE resonator equipped with a Seymour Duncan lipstick pickup

A beat up Mexican telecaster that’s been my road horse for years. I’ve changed out the bridge for a gotoh three saddle brass bridge and I’m running Texas special pickups in it. At this point only the body and neck are stock.

1962 Gibson LG1. I should be charged with robbery on this one. $200 and a six pack of pbr from a buddy of mine. I’ve equipped it with a fishman elipse matrix blend pickup.

those are the ones I play shows with. I also own a 1972 fender Strat, a Dean resonator and a Gibson sg. I don’t use these much.

Pedal chain

bud wah gen1

Tc electronics polytuner gen 3 which I run as a buffer too

tone freak effects Abunai 2- overdrive

robert Keeley Bubble Tron which is a three selector between flange, phase and envelope filter

electro harmonix holy grail nano

tone freak effects mellotremo- tremolo 

tone freak effects buff puff which acts as a buffer and a boost as well

radial bigshot aby tonebone so I can run two amps to round out the pedal board

i run it all through a medium sized dingbat board which is voodoo lab’s pedal board equipped with their pedal power2

amps

budda sd 30 and a lacquered tweed fender blues jr with mogami  gold cables

god I’m a nerd too

Edited by heyme

Texas Special Tele pickups are the bomb.  So much so that I'm wary of putting in any boutiques because every time I try something new in that guitar, I end up going back to the Texas Specials.

They came in mine -- the guy who owned it installed them before I bought it used.  They are ridiculously good, especially for rock and roll.

45 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Skeet, thanks to you, I didn't realize I posted this in the wrong thread until I finally caught on.  You had me in and out of this thread scratching my dam head trying to figure out the joke, didn't realize it was on me!  :lol:  I'm going to leave it here for posterity!:D

I figured that's where you were meaning to post that. LOL  If they ever make a guitar drone I'm there man...In other news I have a drone about 40 feet up in a tree, sucks but It was fun while it lasted.

• 2 weeks later...

cvJYe6o.jpgI added these little cool knobs to my board recently. They are called barefoot buttons. Completely worth it for your board for a variety of reasons. Obviously for the comfort of playing barefoot, but they are nice and large and make it easier to hit the right pedal live or even better, make it easier to turn multiple effects on or off faster. So far they’ve been reliable too. I loctyted them down and they fit nice and flush. Highly recommended for any board imo.