gear acquisition syndrome thread

On 6/19/2021 at 12:41 PM, heyme said:

I put myself down on the waiting list for one of the PRS Fiore guitars. I was on the fringe of doing a private reserve very similar to the model already so I’m glad to save a little money with this model coming out.

They’re making a Robben Ford signature model I think. I don’t want another PRS, but that one is tempting. 

I so so want to get another guitar.

I am thinking that I want one of the Epiphone Gibson hummingbirds and I keep eyeballing the 12 string.

But that will print have to wait a while.

We are going to be replacing our hot water heater soon and going with a gas tankless one and we are thinking about having a gas line ran to the kitchen and replacing the electric stove with a gas range.

And then we are resurfacing the pool and the pool deck as well as I am going to lay another 400+ sf worth of concrete to expand the deck/patio and going to put a couple of gazebos to especially extended the back porch which will be nice to use space that we are not using.... eventually I am going to put an outdoor kitchen to use when it is not as hot as the surface of the sun.

But here is a pro tip....if you are already talking about dropping around 20ishk on home improvements...it is not...I repeat not a good idea to try and sell your very budget conscious significant other on why you "need" another guitar when you " already have 6 or 7 of them to play".... .also as a bonus do not try and be technical and mention that it is really 4 or 5 because a couple need to be restrung.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going back to a big board again.  We're working up new music, planning to record again next year.  Some of the songs work better with some effects on them.  Plus the singer said he wanted an outro solo on one song that, I quote, "is a J. Mascis solo."  So I guess I need a bigger fuzz pedal (the Sunface is barely cutting it in that regard).

On 6/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, falconsd56 said:

I so so want to get another guitar.

I am thinking that I want one of the Epiphone Gibson hummingbirds and I keep eyeballing the 12 string.

But that will print have to wait a while.

We are going to be replacing our hot water heater soon and going with a gas tankless one and we are thinking about having a gas line ran to the kitchen and replacing the electric stove with a gas range.

And then we are resurfacing the pool and the pool deck as well as I am going to lay another 400+ sf worth of concrete to expand the deck/patio and going to put a couple of gazebos to especially extended the back porch which will be nice to use space that we are not using.... eventually I am going to put an outdoor kitchen to use when it is not as hot as the surface of the sun.

But here is a pro tip....if you are already talking about dropping around 20ishk on home improvements...it is not...I repeat not a good idea to try and sell your very budget conscious significant other on why you "need" another guitar when you " already have 6 or 7 of them to play".... .also as a bonus do not try and be technical and mention that it is really 4 or 5 because a couple need to be restrung.

Just build the cost into your budget like the military does. Buy it, keep it out of sight for a few months, then bring it out. If she asks if it’s new, say no, I’ve had this. You won’t be lying. 

1 hour ago, heyme said:

Did you get the jack white triple graph? I bought the bumble buzz fuzz if his and it’s sick.

I did.  It's absolutely, utterly insane how cool it is.  Octave down on the left, octave up on the right, kill (dry signal only) in the middle.  The kill switch can be modded to route the loop on the back to any effect you want -- fuzz, drive, modulation, whatever.  I haven't bothered -- the up/down/kill version works for me.

Lots of cool stuff to be done with this piece of kit.  I'm glad I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

2-E404236-B8-F8-4883-9-D00-21-D7-CDB868-055-F7-CBF-D247-4-C29-87-CC-AD3-D42-DE9-7-B83670-D-FB87-4-DCD-B642-3-F70-B3-C07-EC8-A4819-ACEC-4302-92-FC-3-D6996496562.Was able to finally find a PRS Fiore available. Welcome to the family:)

This is my first Paul Reed Smith. She’s practically a super strat. The HSS configuration is awesome and it has push/pull on the tone knobs. One to incorporate the bridge pick ups with the neck pickup and the other splits the humbucker. A real do all strat in the end. Sounds great. Let it acclimate and get her setup over the weekend even though she came setup good out of the box.

I added flush mount strap locks (kind of unnecessary with a prs but I do it for modularity with all my other straps and guitars) just lowered the bridge and pickups naturally too and polished the neck. Prs does a great setup out of the box. I like real low action, for most an adjustment wouldn’t have even been needed. But **** this guitar is amazing. It plays so fast.