gear acquisition syndrome thread

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busted out an old friend for rehearsal last night — my Oldfield Deluxe Reverb clone. 

I'm re-working my smaller board (the one I got from @Mr. Hoopah!).  I have my old germ Sunface on there, I just put a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on, and I have a Tumnus Deluxe on the way.  If I can ge

This made me laugh out loud, and seemed to fit best here:

Posted Images

On 3/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, eatcorn said:

So, tone-lawyers, riddle me this: I use my guitar to simulate a sort of droning string sound by using a volume sweep, and two delays run back to back, so the attack is really slow and the decay holds on for a long time. But I'm finding that the Boss DD pedals I'm using don't have a decay anywhere near as long as I'd like.

Any recommendations for a good delay pedal with a super long decay?

Not sure your price range or if you’re even still interested, but I learned about the Source Audio Collider today and it will do anything you want in regard to reverb + delay. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m on an 80s metal kick right now. I have a Ceriatone 18 watt clone that doesn’t do anything as well as my Down Brownie and is collecting dust as a result. I have a great Marshall 2061cx cabinet to go with it. 

I’m thinking about keeping the cab, selling the head, and getting a 5150. 

51506L6HIv-large.jpg

27 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I’m on an 80s metal kick right now. I have a Ceriatone 18 watt clone that doesn’t do anything as well as my Down Brownie and is collecting dust as a result. I have a great Marshall 2061cx cabinet to go with it. 

I’m thinking about keeping the cab, selling the head, and getting a 5150. 

51506L6HIv-large.jpg

50 watt version? 

On 2/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

So I got this used 2020 Standard '61 yesterday, drove up to Atlanta and got it from a guy.  I'm over the moon with it, it sounds and plays incredible. I've wanted one for years, it was worth the wait.

Did you get the over whelming urge to play Shoot to Thrill on it as soon as you got it home?

1 hour ago, Googlywoogly said:

Did you get the over whelming urge to play Shoot to Thrill on it as soon as you got it home?

I've never learned that one, but You Shook Me All Night Long got played pretty quickly.  I only know part of the solo, I need to sit down and learn the rest, it's not hard.  I also recently got a Vox Adio desktop amp for late night playing and practice, it has bluetooth so I can play along with my ipod/phone.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I've never learned that one, but You Shook Me All Night Long got played pretty quickly.  I only know part of the solo, I need to sit down and learn the rest, it's not hard.  I also recently got a Vox Adio desktop amp for late night playing and practice, it has bluetooth so I can play along with my ipod/phone.

It's not hard at all, and it's such a great solo.  Definitely take the 5-10 minutes to get it down.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Shoot to thrill is a fun one to play.  I have a sort of 1 guitar no talent hack arrangement and I skip the hybrid picking section.  The Hendrix chord in that one is what makes the song in my opinion.

Love the You Shook Me solo.  I always said a lot of the numbers on Back and Black sound like ******* country songs.  Those country style bends in the You Shook me Solo sound sublime.

8 minutes ago, Googlywoogly said:

Shoot to thrill is a fun one to play.  I have a sort of 1 guitar no talent hack arrangement and I skip the hybrid picking section.  The Hendrix chord in that one is what makes the song in my opinion.

Love the You Shook Me solo.  I always said a lot of the numbers on Back and Black sound like ******* country songs.  Those country style bends in the You Shook me Solo sound sublime.

The little arpeggiated fills in the chorus are very country-esque too.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I need a guitar with a Floyd since Sir Edward died -- we're going to play at least one Van Halen cover at our next gig.  I sent a picture of a red sparkle, pointy headstock Jackson to my bass player and he about had an aneurysm.  He hated the look.  So we put our heads together and decided I need to just build one like Eddie did (only with some country dirt rock vibe to it, because we're from the South).  I found this Custom Shop Fender online:

fender-63-heavy-relic-stratocaster-hss-r

I'm going to use it basically as a template for the build.  3-tone burst MJT relic body, rosewood neck (probably Warmoth, and I'll send it to MJT to rough up to match the body), original Floyd Rose trem, tort guard, and I'll probably have MJ wind me an Antiquity JB trembucker for the bridge to go with a set of Hot Stacks in the middle and neck.  

It's going to be awesome.  I like how if you don't look real close, that zebra humbucker looks like a single coil in the bridge because the black just disappears into that tort guard.

• 1 month later...

Scored this super cool amp on Saturday.  It's a 5F6-A Tweed Bassman circuit built from a Weber kit.  But instead of having four 10 inch speakers, it has two 10 inch speakers, which cuts down on the weight and volume, and the original owner ordered it with British Racing Green tolex instead of tweed.  The original owner built it and also installed a post-phase inverter master volume control on the back, so I can open it up at home volumes.  Regular bassmans are stupid loud, so this thing is so versatile.  Only got a little time with it Saturday night, can't wait to play it more.

lN9IhPF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have my preferences, and for the stuff the bands I play in tend to play, a Les Paul into some form of Marshall (or ish) flavor works. 

But y’all, I just plugged @Mr. Hoopah!’s old Les Paul straight into the vibe channel of my Deluxe Reverb, and I’m here to tell you, there isn’t much better than a Les Paul with a good neck pickup straight into a Deluxe Reverb. I need to join an R&B band or something. A St. Paul and the Broken Bones or Marcus King tribute band. Something where that tone is expected. 

Starting to take shape. I received the body and ordered the pickups. Duncan JB trembucker in the bridge and a pair of Duncan STK-s4 Classic Stacks for the neck and middle. I got a superswitch to auto split the stacks when in position 2 or 4 and I’ll use a mini toggle to split the bridge so I can get a bridge single coil or humbucker tone with the flip of a switch. 

Original Floyd Rose trem and R3 nut also ordered along with an Allparts neck, plus the electronics, pickguard, jack plate and neck plate. All that’s left to acquire is the tuners and I’m waiting to receive the neck to ensure I order the right bushings. 

• 1 month later...