gear acquisition syndrome thread

12 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

So I finally got up the nads to buy a Yamaha THR10X, and can't find one for less that $375.

Any thoughts on practice amp excitement at the $250 and under price point? The Blackstar HT1 seems to fit the bill, but wanted ot see if anyone had any updated recs.

Thanks nerds!

I've heard good things about the Boss Katana in regards to beginner/practice amps.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/Katana-50-MkII-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-1500000300272.gc?source=4WWMWXGL&storeCode=&source=4WWRWXGL&adlclid=ADL-eff5d455-591d-4e28-932b-68a744c6505e

3 hours ago, eatcorn said:

So I finally got up the nads to buy a Yamaha THR10X, and can't find one for less that $375.

Any thoughts on practice amp excitement at the $250 and under price point? The Blackstar HT1 seems to fit the bill, but wanted ot see if anyone had any updated recs.

Thanks nerds!

Wish I would have known you wanted a THR10X, I bought one earlier this year and sold it.  By almost every account I've read, the new THR10(and 30)ii's don't sound as good as the originals, and apparently have all kinds of bugs especially with the app. 

I've had both the original THR and the X, at the same time.  They're both awesome, but they're only going to get more expensive.  I was actually set on getting another THR10, but I found a good deal on a used Vox ADIO air GT.  The youtube demos for it aren't great, but this one sounds pretty **** good.  You can find them for under $250.  The Andertons guys did a paid promotion a couple of years ago where they claim to prefer the Vox to the Yamaha, but in reading comparisons online some prefer the Yamaha, some prefer the Vox.  The Vox has bluetooth connectivity, which is a big plus to me.

If you have decent speakers on the computer (studio monitors preferably) and an interface, S-Gear is a great modeling platform for around $130.  They occasionally put it on sale for $99. That's what I use, though I'll probably get an HX Stomp at some point to use as a back up for gigs.  

If we ever gig again ☹️

44 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If you have decent speakers on the computer (studio monitors preferably) and an interface, S-Gear is a great modeling platform for around $130.  They occasionally put it on sale for $99. That's what I use, though I'll probably get an HX Stomp at some point to use as a back up for gigs.  

If we ever gig again ☹️

I'm really looking for something that sounds real good, is built well without a ton of bells and whistles, has a headphone jack, and takes pedals well. 

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

I'm really looking for something that sounds real good, is built well without a ton of bells and whistles, has a headphone jack, and takes pedals well. 

The original THR10 I had took pedals great.  How much gain do you play with?  I typically lived on the "lead" setting, which was plexi-ish, and hot it with a EXH Soul Food.  But it also has models of a JCM 800 and Recto.

Also, for Les Paulers, how far off of your pickups do you set your string height? I adjusted mine to something I saw online (“Starting with the neck pickup, you hold the high E string down at the highest fret and then measure the distance from the bottom of the high E string to the top of the pickup polepiece – and then do the same with the low E string. Our official spec is 4/64th of an inch. Then repeat the same procedure for the bridge pickup, except here we adjust the bridge to 3/64ths of an inch"), and now it sounds like the magnets are choking the sustain.

Thoughts?  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The original THR10 I had took pedals great.  How much gain do you play with?  I typically lived on the "lead" setting, which was plexi-ish, and hot it with a EXH Soul Food.  But it also has models of a JCM 800 and Recto.

Either a TON (for downtuned metal), or none (for ambient).

46 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Also, for Les Paulers, how far off of your pickups do you set your string height? I adjusted mine to something I saw online (“Starting with the neck pickup, you hold the high E string down at the highest fret and then measure the distance from the bottom of the high E string to the top of the pickup polepiece – and then do the same with the low E string. Our official spec is 4/64th of an inch. Then repeat the same procedure for the bridge pickup, except here we adjust the bridge to 3/64ths of an inch"), and now it sounds like the magnets are choking the sustain.

Thoughts?  

Mine are more like 5/64 for the bridge and 6-7/64 for the neck.  I set them to spec and then go a half turn up or down to see if it gets better or worse.  Basically, I put them where I know they are "supposed" to be, and then use my ears.

For sure, you get more power and less sustain with them set high, and more clarity and less power set low.  There is a Goldilocks setting for sure, somewhere in between those extremes.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Mine are more like 5/64 for the bridge and 6-7/64 for the neck.  I set them to spec and then go a half turn up or down to see if it gets better or worse.  Basically, I put them where I know they are "supposed" to be, and then use my ears.

For sure, you get more power and less sustain with them set high, and more clarity and less power set low.  There is a Goldilocks setting for sure, somewhere in between those extremes.

Noted, thanks. Just making sure I'm not doing anything super dumb.

1 hour ago, eatcorn said:

Noted. Y'all ever play any of the Orange Orange Crush combo amps? They look pretty intriguing.

Or even one of the Micro Darks with a smaller speaker cabinet?

I haven't played the Orange Crush Combos or Micro Dark.  The Crush combos (and the 100 watt head) are pretty universally praised as sounding great.  I would think you would have to do a lot of knob twisting on the micro dark to go from ambient to teh brootz, whereas the Crush 35RT has two channels.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I haven't played the Orange Crush Combos or Micro Dark.  The Crush combos (and the 100 watt head) are pretty universally praised as sounding great.  I would think you would have to do a lot of knob twisting on the micro dark to go from ambient to teh brootz, whereas the Crush 35RT has two channels.

I don't really play both genres at the same time/in the same song. They're just the two I play most often...one or t'other.

9 hours ago, Googlywoogly said:

That is actually what I have.

It is solid...I love how I can patch in different song tones ...plus it just sounds good...even when I don't.

I am actually planning on selling it  though because I am going to be reconfigure the guitar set up in the office ...the space that it is occupying is going to be replaced with storage

I am going to be looking at smaller amps and eye balling the positive grid spark.

18 hours ago, eatcorn said:

Kinda leaning Crush. I used to play through a buddy's OR120 head and it was amazing.

The singer in my cover band has a Crush.  It's a fine practice amp.  He tried to play it at rehearsal one night and my rig just buried it though.  As long as you aren't playing with other people, it sounds really nice to my ears.  It just gets drowned by drums and vacuum tubes.

I’m spending way too much money on straps but I have to give a couple of shout outs. I got a Well-Hung Straps Shock and Awe for Fathers Day. I use it with my older Les Paul:

v5rshbsr5jpoiqk8ecx2.jpg

And I got an AIR Straps Zephyr for my Strat:

amrq5gajfswst4kbnmof.jpg

I love them both, but I’m thinking of getting this AIR Woodstock for the Strat and using the Zephyr with my other Les Paul. I have the red one like Jimi actually played, but I love this color scheme:

mtkyim6rsh6oyyeazhy8.jpg

Have you ever heard of ErgoStraps? They’re really awesome and blow the **** out of levy’s straps. Way different than what you’re posting, but probably the best handmade leather straps on the market. Just figured I’d share cuz I love these straps and more people gotta know haha.

kiryfl7umdzqadqeitid.jpg