gear acquisition syndrome thread

Y'all, I swear, I don't really want everyone running out to get one of these because I don't want people to think I'm the "me too" guy who went out and did the cool thing all the other cool kids are doing, so please don't buy one.

But this amp is ridiculous.  Other than the Fletcher-Munson curve (short version, things are perceived to sound better if they are louder), there is very, very little difference between this amp at volumes that would have my wife banging on the door yelling at me to stop and volumes where she can sleep in the next room while I'm playing.  I have a fuzz and an overdrive on my board but I don't use them much right now.  I'm thinking of putting the Tumnus back on my big board and getting a Ceriatone Horsebreaker to use on my little board for this amp.  Main reason is I get the Klone and the Bluesbreaker/KOT sound in one pedal, so it's versatile and yet only takes up once space on the board.  I will never have to stack an overdrive with this amp.  It's got all the guts you want without a pedal in front of it.

The one thing it does at high volume that it struggles with at lower volume is dynamics.  I can go from absolute dead clean to AC/DC or Cinderella levels of gain just with my pick attack.  Don't touch a knob or a pedal, just pick lighter or harder and it's all there.  That's with the channel volume on 7 or so.  With the inputs jumped and both channels on 7 to make up for the loss of saturation when the master volume is turned down, the fact that there is no headroom in the preamp section and I've squashed all the headroom in the power section with the master volume means I always have some hair on the tone, though I can get clean-ish pretty easily.  It's just harder to maintain that clean base with just pick attack when it's all compressed down.  But it is still the most open sounding and dynamic master volume I've ever used.  It sounds better turned up.  But it doesn't sound all that much better.  That's a departure from every master volume amp I've ever owned or used.  

I recorded 2 clips tonight, one with the master all the way up and the Brown channel on 7, and the other with the master at about 8:30 or so (maybe 3, but it isn't numbered, so I'm guesstimating) and both channels on 7 and jumped.  They sound nearly identical, even though with the second one you could hear the strings on the guitar over the amp.  

This is the best guitar-related purchase I've ever made and it isn't even close.  This amp is amazing.  Tonight's recording setup:

im12Lmz.jpg

4 hours ago, eatcorn said:

What's the cheapest you've seen? Sounds like a glorious amp.

I can't really justify buying another amp unless it's a cheap practice amp. My 100W Hiwatt head will be buried with me.

There was one on eBay for $1000. That’s an insane deal and I missed out on it. I’ve seen them as low as $1500. I paid a little more than that for mine but it is pristine. 

I sold an AC30 and a little Mesa Boogie I had to fund part of this purchase. But I’m thinking of selling my 18 Watt head and 2 Marshall cabinets too. If I get fair market value for those I’ll buy a reasonably priced 5e3 and that way I can leave a Fender Deluxe to each of my kids one day. Maybe something like a Muleskinner. 

I’ve always wanted a Tweed Deluxe anyway and this amp totally makes the Marshall redundant. It does everything the Marshall does better. 

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I sold an AC30 and a little Mesa Boogie I had to fund part of this purchase. But I’m thinking of selling my 18 Watt head and 2 Marshall cabinets too. If I get fair market value for those I’ll buy a reasonably priced 5e3 and that way I can leave a Fender Deluxe to each of my kids one day. Maybe something like a Muleskinner. 

I’ve always wanted a Tweed Deluxe anyway and this amp totally makes the Marshall redundant. It does everything the Marshall does better. 

roknfnrol on TGP plays Muleskinners, he says they’re the best 5e3-inspired amps he’s played. He had the builder mod the 17 watt model to make it more humbucker friendly for him. 

I wish someone had told me about brownface Deluxes back when I was buying amps 10-12 years ago. I could have gotten one then for a song. 

I went to rehearsal tonight. This amp sings. It sounds way bigger than it is and it sits in a band mix perfectly. 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Curious to all our guitar players out there. Has anyone have or played an EVH Wolfgang series guitar, any model? I like the look and I am curious what you guys think of the sound if you've played one? 

I have not but the higher end models are well regarded on other forums. Obviously the US made models are too. 

6-FBF2220-D437-41-CC-BC5-C-3-BCDDCECA27-Jesus Christ what this thing has become. Started as a modest innocent board with a wah, a drive and A reverb. It is Now a fuzzy synth psychedelic funk dream. 

I discovered Seymour Duncan makes more than amazing pickups. The Seymour Duncan fooz pedal I just added is an extra terrestrial dream. I’m running it into a Dunlop mini For expression versus volume now.  It’s got a built in fuzz, trem, envelope filter, and synth. I can’t wait to tap into this things potential.  

I decided to try some D'Addario NYXL strings this week.  They're ridiculously expensive, but they are supposed to hold tune better than other strings.  I got them mainly because I love the feel of 9s on my guitars but 10s hold tune better, so I figured I'd give a set of NYXL 9s a whirl.

On the Les Pauls, they are fantastic.  No tuning issues at all.  I would have issues with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys where I'd stretch, they'd go out of tune after a while, I'd re-stretch, and then they'd separate at the ball end.  For some reason, this doesn't happen with Regular Slinkies on those guitars, so I just went back to 10s.

On the Strat, for whatever reason, I can't get it to balance out.  Whether I use the trem or bend, it's going sharp or flat somehow.  It's weird.  I may just put a set of Super Slinkies on the Strat because I still have a bunch, and use the NYXLs exclusively on the LPs.  In any event, they are as advertised except they make my trem guitar go all wonky.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:08 AM, heyme said:

6-FBF2220-D437-41-CC-BC5-C-3-BCDDCECA27-Jesus Christ what this thing has become. Started as a modest innocent board with a wah, a drive and A reverb. It is Now a fuzzy synth psychedelic funk dream. 

I discovered Seymour Duncan makes more than amazing pickups. The Seymour Duncan fooz pedal I just added is an extra terrestrial dream. I’m running it into a Dunlop mini For expression versus volume now.  It’s got a built in fuzz, trem, envelope filter, and synth. I can’t wait to tap into this things potential.  

I used to have a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo and that was a really cool pedal.  I haven't tried any of their others.

I have their pickups in all 3 of my main guitars though.  People pay through the roof for boutiques, and these are all Custom Shop pickups, so mid-range boutique pricing, but man, they are just amazing.  Maricella Juarez can wind the **** out of a pickup.

13 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I used to have a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo and that was a really cool pedal.  I haven't tried any of their others.

I have their pickups in all 3 of my main guitars though.  People pay through the roof for boutiques, and these are all Custom Shop pickups, so mid-range boutique pricing, but man, they are just amazing.  Maricella Juarez can wind the **** out of a pickup.

Now that you mention it I have Seymour Duncan’s on 3/4 of my electric guitars. The only one without them is my mod shop tele which has the fender brand. I even swapped to SD on my resonator lipstick pickup.

18 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I decided to try some D'Addario NYXL strings this week.  They're ridiculously expensive, but they are supposed to hold tune better than other strings.  I got them mainly because I love the feel of 9s on my guitars but 10s hold tune better, so I figured I'd give a set of NYXL 9s a whirl.

On the Les Pauls, they are fantastic.  No tuning issues at all.  I would have issues with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys where I'd stretch, they'd go out of tune after a while, I'd re-stretch, and then they'd separate at the ball end.  For some reason, this doesn't happen with Regular Slinkies on those guitars, so I just went back to 10s.

On the Strat, for whatever reason, I can't get it to balance out.  Whether I use the trem or bend, it's going sharp or flat somehow.  It's weird.  I may just put a set of Super Slinkies on the Strat because I still have a bunch, and use the NYXLs exclusively on the LPs.  In any event, they are as advertised except they make my trem guitar go all wonky.

How many springs do you use on your Stratocaster?

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

2 right now. I had 3 and it was pulling sharp with trem use. Seems to be stabilizing. We’ll see. 

https://youtu.be/FNgZGqB1yog

check this video out. I used to run my strat with three and switched to five and it made a big difference for me. To each their own but you definitely make a tuning/ tone sacrifice based on the string tension.

52 minutes ago, heyme said:

https://youtu.be/FNgZGqB1yog

check this video out. I used to run my strat with three and switched to five and it made a big difference for me. To each their own but you definitely make a tuning/ tone sacrifice based on the string tension.

Thanks -- I actually got it sorted out before I saw this.  I've run it with five before, but it feels better with 3, which is why I've stuck with it.

It was weird -- it ended up being a trem setup issue.  I haven't messed with it, but apparently over time with string changes from 11s to 10s and now back to 9s it just worked its way out enough to be wonky.  Short version of how I fixed it is I started from scratch and backed off all the trem screws, then screwed the outer two in until I got the trem stable and feeling right.  It's stiffer now than it was, so the issue was apparently the bridge was wobbling when I used the trem.  Got it set up where it worked that way, then put the middle 4 screws back in even with the outer two.  Everything holds tune perfectly now.

I love Strats, but they're a pain in the neck to maintain sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...