gear acquisition syndrome thread

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Well, ****.  I wanted to be able to use both. I'm assuming it needs to be modded with a buffer, or another wah with a fuzz friendly buffer then?

Yeah, and the circuit in that wah makes it hard to mod.  Sorry.

It might work - try it.  Worst case flip it and get one with a buffer.

2 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

******.  Probably should have asked your thoughts on that first.

I used the Area 51 buffer. Maybe call Foxrox and ask if theirs is easier to install?

You can do a stand-alone buffer. I know the Area 51 will work that way. The problem is now you have to stomp 2 pedals to use the wah if the fuzz is on. If you turn the fuzz on after the wah that’s less of a problem. 

I found a great deal on a Sennheiser E609 microphone and snagged it.  I think I actually like it better than the SM57.  Part of that is probably that my tone is better now, but it just seems to record raw guitar tones better than the SM57.

Both are good.  I'm glad I have both.  But the E609 is a slight cut above I think.

Plus it's cool because you don't need a mic stand to record -- just hang it over the amp like this:

609flatonamp.jpg

So I swapped out my old pickups in my 93 Les Paul for a JB/59 set a while back.  The JB is really cool, but it really is mostly a one-trick pony.  It may be that I just don't really love A5 humbuckers, but I wanted to try a bridge 59.

Preliminarily, I think I like it.  It has that firmer bottom end of the JB, but it isn't so blasted hot.  8.75k as opposed to 16.57k.  It's thick, ballsy, everything you'd want in a Les Paul bridge.  But it's not that fire breathing "can't dial it out" super hot pickup like the JB is.  Plus, the 59 was wound by Maricella, who wound the pickups in my Strat and my other LP, so it has that little hint of love in there  😍

I kind of stupidly want to sell my other 59 (I paid $50 for it) and get one wound by Maricella (it will cost over $100) just to say I did it.  But the frugal part of me says I love the non-MJ wound 59 too, so stop being ridiculous.

I'm going to hold on to the JB for a while, but if I stick with the 59 I'm selling it.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

8.75k as opposed to 16.57k.

Yeah the TB-14 in my Yamaha is 14.8k, but it still cleans up.  I wonder how a 59/Custom (which is what was in that SE Bernie Marsden I had for a while) would sound.  But it's fun as **** through the bassbreaker, so I'm not in a rush to swap it, plus it's my "rock" guitar.

3 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Yeah the TB-14 in my Yamaha is 14.8k, but it still cleans up.  I wonder how a 59/Custom (which is what was in that SE Bernie Marsden I had for a while) would sound.  But it's fun as **** through the bassbreaker, so I'm not in a rush to swap it, plus it's my "rock" guitar.

The 59 bridge is nothing like people describe it.  I just assume folks don't know how to set pickup and pole piece height.  It's very snarly, open, not really smooth or compressed at all.  It can be with enough gain, but set like I set up with the Pearlies, they are compatible.  Same ballpark.  The Pearlies are a little chirpier, the 59s a little more bark and a much firmer low end.

Honeymoon period and all that but I like the 59 set a lot.

Finally rewired the board and put the crybaby on last night, Astrotone is in front of it. Then the **** power went out 15 minutes later despite no rain. 

It sounds good though, I liked it with the Astrotone in front. I don’t feel the need to get a wah with an output buffer to put in front based on that limited play through. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Finally rewired the board and put the crybaby on last night, Astrotone is in front of it. Then the **** power went out 15 minutes later despite no rain. 

It sounds good though, I liked it with the Astrotone in front. I don’t feel the need to get a wah with an output buffer to put in front based on that limited play through. 

I mean, it knocked out all the power in your entire city. Wake up and get a buffer before someone gets hurt. 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:21 PM, JDaveG said:

I’m driving to North Alabama tomorrow afternoon to snag one of these. 

The amp, not the 52 Les Paul. 

Down. M***********g.  Brownie.  Fools.

JbHmZ6l.jpg

This thing is unreal.  Huge brownface, tweed or Marshall tones in a tiny little amp that weighs 30 pounds.  It is only slightly bigger than the little Mesa Express I've been using, weighs 8 pounds less, sounds bigger, and has the best master volume I've ever seen or heard of on a tube amp.  Early ZZ Top to 70s Marshall tones, and you can put a boost in front and it will do metal all day long.

This amp is the truth.