gear acquisition syndrome thread

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busted out an old friend for rehearsal last night — my Oldfield Deluxe Reverb clone. 

This made me laugh out loud, and seemed to fit best here:

I'm re-working my smaller board (the one I got from @Mr. Hoopah!).  I have my old germ Sunface on there, I just put a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on, and I have a Tumnus Deluxe on the way.  If I can ge

Posted Images

I'm re-working my smaller board (the one I got from @Mr. Hoopah!).  I have my old germ Sunface on there, I just put a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on, and I have a Tumnus Deluxe on the way.  If I can get a delay (I have to sell more gear), it's going to be suh-WEET!

Except for the tuner every pedal on it is gold in color.  I'd love to say I didn't do Google searches for "gold overdrive" or "gold delay pedal," but I totally did.  The cool thing is, that Skreddy is an amazing pedal, and I imagine the Tumnus will be too.  I had a Monsterpiece STUD a while back that was really cool.  I thought about getting another one but the Tumnus Deluxe gets good reviews so I thought I'd give it a try first.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these. $599, made in Indonesia, but comes with Grover locking tuners, Tusq nut and graphtech saddles (on the hard tail version, there’s also a Wilkinson trem version) and Seymour Duncan Custom 5 humbucker/Vintage P90. The feature set absolutely blows away anything else in that price range, most of all Fender. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Think I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these. $599, made in Indonesia, but comes with Grover locking tuners, Tusq nut and graphtech saddles (on the hard tail version, there’s also a Wilkinson trem version) and Seymour Duncan Custom 5 humbucker/Vintage P90. The feature set absolutely blows away anything else in that price range, most of all Fender. 

Yamaha has long made great guitars. 

I’m not a fan of the C5. I’d either drop a ceramic magnet in to make it a regular Custom or get a JB if it were mine. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Yamaha has long made great guitars. 

I’m not a fan of the C5. I’d either drop a ceramic magnet in to make it a regular Custom or get a JB if it were mine. 

IIRC that PRS SE Bernie Marsden I had a while back had a Custom 5 in the bridge and 59 in the neck, I liked it. I know it’s a little more scooped. 

I’ll need to take more lessons I want to sound like the Nazi in that video. 

Just pulled the trigger on this one from a brick and mortar store on Reverb.  Decided to get the wilkinson trem version, Yamaha puts the same Duncan Custom 5 Trembucker in both the hard tail and trem, and the string spacing looked off on the hard tail model, even though it had the cool graphtec saddles.  That would have driven me nuts, plus I think I would have regretted not having the trem on a super strat. 

Argh, now gotta wait on shipping with a holiday weekend.  Amazon had one that could have gotten here by Friday, but **** Jeff Bezos, and this store had over 6000 positive reviews about fast shipping and excellent packing, plus I called before ordering and talked to an actual human.  Also, **** Jeff Bezos.

dv4oligaspz9boaqvd0c.jpg

On 7/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Just pulled the trigger on this one from a brick and mortar store on Reverb.  Decided to get the wilkinson trem version, Yamaha puts the same Duncan Custom 5 Trembucker in both the hard tail and trem, and the string spacing looked off on the hard tail model, even though it had the cool graphtec saddles.  That would have driven me nuts, plus I think I would have regretted not having the trem on a super strat. 

Argh, now gotta wait on shipping with a holiday weekend.  Amazon had one that could have gotten here by Friday, but **** Jeff Bezos, and this store had over 6000 positive reviews about fast shipping and excellent packing, plus I called before ordering and talked to an actual human.  Also, **** Jeff Bezos.

dv4oligaspz9boaqvd0c.jpg

No NGD?

1 minute ago, Googlywoogly said:

No NGD?

According to FEDEX it’s currently in Kennesaw and scheduled to be delivered to my office Tuesday. I’m hoping they’ll send it down to Columbus and go out for delivery tomorrow. 

I’m having it delivered to my office since the toddler starts back at daycare tomorrow, but I’ve got to figure out getting it home as it didn’t come with a case, it’s hotter than balls, and I’ll have to go pick up my daughter from daycare. Definitely don’t want to stick it in my hot *** car to go pick up the daughter. 

Get a huge Yeti cooler.  Fill it with ice.  Put the guitar in there when you get into the car.

Put the Yeti sticker on the back of your car.  Frat boys will love you.

Just be sure to drain all the water out of the guitar before you plug in.

Follow me for more hot car and guitar tips.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Get a huge Yeti cooler.  Fill it with ice.  Put the guitar in there when you get into the car.

Put the Yeti sticker on the back of your car.  Frat boys will love you.

Just be sure to drain all the water out of the guitar before you plug in.

Follow me for more hot car and guitar tips.

John Mayer put a Black strat prototype in the freezer overnight once.  Turns out it just had a wiring issue.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

John Mayer put a Black strat prototype in the freezer overnight once.  Turns out it just had a wiring issue.

I wonder how many cork sniffers put their guitars in the freezer after that though.

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I wonder how many cork sniffers put their guitars in the freezer after that though.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/john-mayer-freezing-his-guitar.842184/

"Imaging how many of us boiled our strings when Eddie said he did that.

I figured if Mayer say place it in the freezer - why not try it?"

On 6/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@The Monarch I want a THR10x like you have to compliment my original tan THR10, but they discontinued them with the new THR10 and 30ii's.  Impossible to find used.

Pacifica just got delivered. I'm balls deep in work, going to let it adjust to room temperature before opening the box. It rained like **** earlier so hopefully it cooled everything off while it was still in the delivery truck.

Also snagged a THR10x off of reverb, one was listed for too good of a price to pass up.  It's in Florida, hoping if they ship tomorrow it will get here by Friday maybe.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:21 PM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Pacifica just got delivered. I'm balls deep in work, going to let it adjust to room temperature before opening the box. It rained like **** earlier so hopefully it cooled everything off while it was still in the delivery truck.

Also snagged a THR10x off of reverb, one was listed for too good of a price to pass up.  It's in Florida, hoping if they ship tomorrow it will get here by Friday maybe.

Imma need a tone report from that Yamaha sir.

I love my rig so much right now (my main board into my Deluxe Reverb clone) I'm thinking of selling all my amps except my Deluxe Reverb and getting a Princeton clone as a grab and go, and an HX Stomp as a backup and rehearsal rig (I'll get Helix Native as a home recording rig too).  I'd have money left to spare and a lot more space in the guitar room.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Imma need a tone report from that Yamaha sir.

I love my rig so much right now (my main board into my Deluxe Reverb clone) I'm thinking of selling all my amps except my Deluxe Reverb and getting a Princeton clone as a grab and go, and an HX Stomp as a backup and rehearsal rig (I'll get Helix Native as a home recording rig too).  I'd have money left to spare and a lot more space in the guitar room.

It needs a setup, but it sounds killer. I've only been able to play it through my THR10 so far (the X hasn't even shipped yet), going to crank it into the bassbreaker tomorrow night.  Neck P90 sounds like a strat on steroids.  Bridge bucker is crunchy, and sounds more tele-like split that the DGT bridge pickup.  It makes me want to play rock, I learned the riffs to Holy Diver the other night. 

41 minutes ago, Scrunchomarx said:

Guitars are temperature sensitive? Is it all of them or just the wood ones or all the all wood?

While folks have been experimenting with other materials for guitars for years, they're traditionally constructed of all wood, and the necks especially react to temperature changes as they have constant tension from the strings.