gear acquisition syndrome thread

The family is out shopping so I had some time to air out the gigging rig today.  Inspiration struck and I got this nice family shot of the Gibsons in front of my Ceriatone Marshall 18 Watt clone and a Vox that I hope to sell soon (but I'm glad I still have it because it looks really cool in this picture):

EgywR6z.jpg?1

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

The family is out shopping so I had some time to air out the gigging rig today.  Inspiration struck and I got this nice family shot of the Gibsons in front of my Ceriatone Marshall 18 Watt clone and a Vox that I hope to sell soon (but I'm glad I still have it because it looks really cool in this picture):

EgywR6z.jpg?1

Nice looking family there.

I intended on getting a LP when I got the SG but the SG seemed to be selling out faster, but the next new guitar day will probably be either a LP or a Tele.

35 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Nice looking family there.

I intended on getting a LP when I got the SG but the SG seemed to be selling out faster, but the next new guitar day will probably be either a LP or a Tele.

I own one of these and it is worth looking at.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleHHFMICRT--fender-special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh-crimson-red-transparent-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

1) Last Christmas we visited my in-laws in Fla.  We can’t actually get four people and golf clubs in my wife’s A3 etron, or my Boxster, so we took the boys’ 2007 civic sedan inherited from my MIL.  
-Thee seed was planted for a roomier family car 

2) a few months back my younger son and I had a glorious day in which I taught him to drive a stick and then zipped around the north Georgia mountains in a rented Miata.  
-The seed was planted for a manual transmission car for the boys 

3) Older son somehow convinces Mrs. Holymoses to take said civic to Poughkeepsie for the remainder of the summer (meaning forever)

-The seed was planted to light the candle on steps 1 and 2. 

Behold the solution!  The greatest car in the history of the World!!!

05b595422a3e0da64d702eb741549c68.jpg

2015_volkswagen_golf_sportwagen_8_1920x1
(Not our actual car   No sat-nav for us)

It was tough finding exactly what we wanted (actually would have preferred red, but silver was the next choice.). So I picked it up Friday in Brentwood Tn.  39 mpg at 78 Mph.  And just a blast to drive.   By far the sweetest handling wagon I have driven   (And we had a Volvo 850 R wagon.). Outstanding interior. Touch screen huuuuge panoramic sunroof. 2013, 41,500 miles.  Out the door for 10,975.  Too bad the styling isn’t more inspired.  (Or inspired at all.)

Its a TDI, so it’s a reformed cheater.   VW bought them all back, destroyed some, re-tuned the rest, and kept them in lots around the country, dosing them for sale in limited amounts over the last few years.  
Not seeing a single private seller was a good sign.   Everyone available was straight from VW to auction or VW dealership. IOW, anyone who bought one since the scandal is not selling.  

My kid is obviously psyched.   I wanted to get a certified red one but it would have been  $4,500 more...and in Boston.  And that somehow seemed way too much in the spoiled kid bracket.  He’s got a reliable, safe car that is completely fun to drive but not powerful enough to get him in big trouble.  The wagon factor will help with birth control and the stick will make a favorable impression on his dates’ dads.  And we all get a great load up bikes for the mountains or road trip ride that won’t disgrace the in-laws at their country club gated community.  And the factory stereo actually kicks. 

I freakin’ LOVE this car.  more excited than when I got the Boxster.   @Optimus_Cr1m35 What do you say?  Is it the new Blues mobile or what?

7 hours ago, HolyMoses said:

1) Last Christmas we visited my in-laws in Fla.  We can’t actually get four people and golf clubs in my wife’s A3 etron, or my Boxster, so we took the boys’ 2007 civic sedan inherited from my MIL.  
-Thee seed was planted for a roomier family car 

2) a few months back my younger son and I had a glorious day in which I taught him to drive a stick and then zipped around the north Georgia mountains in a rented Miata.  
-The seed was planted for a manual transmission car for the boys 

3) Older son somehow convinces Mrs. Holymoses to take said civic to Poughkeepsie for the remainder of the summer (meaning forever)

-The seed was planted to light the candle on steps 1 and 2. 

Behold the solution!  The greatest car in the history of the World!!!

05b595422a3e0da64d702eb741549c68.jpg

2015_volkswagen_golf_sportwagen_8_1920x1
(Not our actual car   No sat-nav for us)

It was tough finding exactly what we wanted (actually would have preferred red, but silver was the next choice.). So I picked it up Friday in Brentwood Tn.  39 mpg at 78 Mph.  And just a blast to drive.   By far the sweetest handling wagon I have driven   (And we had a Volvo 850 R wagon.). Outstanding interior. Touch screen huuuuge panoramic sunroof. 2013, 41,500 miles.  Out the door for 10,975.  Too bad the styling isn’t more inspired.  (Or inspired at all.)

Its a TDI, so it’s a reformed cheater.   VW bought them all back, destroyed some, re-tuned the rest, and kept them in lots around the country, dosing them for sale in limited amounts over the last few years.  
Not seeing a single private seller was a good sign.   Everyone available was straight from VW to auction or VW dealership. IOW, anyone who bought one since the scandal is not selling.  

My kid is obviously psyched.   I wanted to get a certified red one but it would have been  $4,500 more...and in Boston.  And that somehow seemed way too much in the spoiled kid bracket.  He’s got a reliable, safe car that is completely fun to drive but not powerful enough to get him in big trouble.  The wagon factor will help with birth control and the stick will make a favorable impression on his dates’ dads.  And we all get a great load up bikes for the mountains or road trip ride that won’t disgrace the in-laws at their country club gated community.  And the factory stereo actually kicks. 

I freakin’ LOVE this car.  more excited than when I got the Boxster.   @Optimus_Cr1m35 What do you say?  Is it the new Blues mobile or what?

I love wagons. I liked my Passat too. There's a lot you can do to these, and the "Euro" styling never gets old. Plus, you bike, so the "lowered a hair"/roof rack/wheels and tires combo goes a long way on them...

2014-SEMA-Show-VW-1206.jpg

Lowering with some quality springs will drop the center of gravity too. An inch makes a world of difference in the turns. That's been my kick lately with the WRX. I've modified the engine, upgraded everything in the shifter realm, but now I need to handle the handling more. So far, it's only been Wheels and tires, springs, Stainless Brake lines, and upgraded brake pads. Need to start with bushings, sway bars, end links, etc...

On 6/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, JDaveG said:

EgywR6z.jpg?1

You and omega should start a board band. I hear he does a mean rikki rockett. Or was that shred? Anyway if really like to hear your nothin but a good time cover. 

14 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Lowering with some quality springs will drop the center of gravity too. An inch makes a world of difference in the turns. That's been my kick lately with the WRX. I've modified the engine, upgraded everything in the shifter realm, but now I need to handle the handling more. So far, it's only been Wheels and tires, springs, Stainless Brake lines, and upgraded brake pads. Need to start with bushings, sway bars, end links, etc...

If you wanted something that could handle you should’ve gotten an evo

8 hours ago, Scrunchomarx said:

If you wanted something that could handle you should’ve gotten an evo

I mean, I wanted something I could actually drive. Didn't want it to be on jack stands the entire time...

All joking aside, the WRX handles great, it's just fixing small issues that come from the factory. Mostly understeer. The sway bars will eliminate it altogether, but go too far, and the rear likes to snap out. It's just tweaks at this point. Thing is a monster...

23 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I love wagons. I liked my Passat too. There's a lot you can do to these, and the "Euro" styling never gets old. Plus, you bike, so the "lowered a hair"/roof rack/wheels and tires combo goes a long way on them...

2014-SEMA-Show-VW-1206.jpg

22 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Sweet . . . Oddly enough, my 16 y/o has a thing against lower cars.  If it is does right, I'm all about the better handling and it helps the appearance.  But we also occasionally get to some gravel roads some we'll probably keep the current height, at least until we need to replace springs etc.  Thicker sway bars would probably be the first, and only, suspension mod.

The exterior is classic to a fault.  It could easily be from the early 90's or even late 80's (whenever they came out with the 2nd generation Golf).   Which is also to say that it is plain Jain.  Wheels could help.  I am also encouraging as many cycling stickers in the rear and rear side windows as possible.

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Sweet . . . Oddly enough, my 16 y/o has a thing against lower cars.  If it is does right, I'm all about the better handling and it helps the appearance.  But we also occasionally get to some gravel roads some we'll probably keep the current height, at least until we need to replace springs etc.  Thicker sway bars would probably be the first, and only, suspension mod.

The exterior is classic to a fault.  It could easily be from the early 90's or even late 80's (whenever they came out with the 2nd generation Golf).   Which is also to say that it is plain Jain.  Wheels could help.  I am also encouraging as many cycling stickers in the rear and rear side windows as possible.

So, if you go with springs, like the Eibachs, you'll drop it a hair, but not on the ground. I like going offroad in the WRX, and even dropped an inch all around, I still can get into *most* places.