Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

On 4/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, Googlywoogly said:

Anyone played any of the new Epiphone guitars?  The one in this video is intriguing.

No, I want to try that one specifically though. I’ve owned several Les Pauls in the past and finally came to the realization they just didn’t work for my small hands due to difficult upper fret access. But I still love the way they look and sound. However, I have read some folks say the carved neck heal on that model is still a little uncomfortable. It’s not the same “heel-less” design as the Gibson Les Paul Axcess, which Epiphone actually has one version of, the Matt Heafy (Trivium) signature model. 

I have the Antiquities and an old 57 Classic + on the block right now. When they sell, I’m thinking of trying out a set of these. If I like them I’ll sell the Bare Knuckle Apaches that are in my Strat now. If not, I’ll flip them. 

16 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I think I need to upgrade the tele pickups, the bridge at a minimum. 

Duncan Broadcasters my man. I’m going to end up putting them in mine. They’re like $105 a set but they sound amazing. The bridge only is like $60 or something, but for the money the set is worth it  

Duncan’s Custom Shop is amazing. Maricella can wind the piss out of a pickup. But I’m consistently impressed with how good their off the shelf models are. The 59s are incredible. So are the Pearly Gates. The JB/59 set I just installed are amazing. The Slash set and the regular A2Ps are amazing. I’ve yet to hear a Seymour Duncan pickup that was bad. Some of them aren’t my thing, but they do someone else’s thing really well. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Duncan Broadcasters my man. I’m going to end up putting them in mine. They’re like $105 a set but they sound amazing. The bridge only is like $60 or something, but for the money the set is worth it  

Duncan’s Custom Shop is amazing. Maricella can wind the piss out of a pickup. But I’m consistently impressed with how good their off the shelf models are. The 59s are incredible. So are the Pearly Gates. The JB/59 set I just installed are amazing. The Slash set and the regular A2Ps are amazing. I’ve yet to hear a Seymour Duncan pickup that was bad. Some of them aren’t my thing, but they do someone else’s thing really well. 

I want a more strat like neck pickup, either a twisted tele or twang king, and a ballsier, less ice picky bridge. I know you loved the custom shop Texas specials, and they make a twisted tele bridge now that is wound hotter. 

25 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I want a more strat like neck pickup, either a twisted tele or twang king, and a ballsier, less ice picky bridge. I know you loved the custom shop Texas specials, and they make a twisted tele bridge now that is wound hotter. 

The Texas Special neck is pretty Stratty for what it’s worth. 

Posted (edited)

My latest purchase was a MacBook and interface. We have been doing live recordings through a GoPro video and  logic audio. It’s been A learning experience for sure trying to do engineering and performance. Mainly I’ve been using my #1 guitar, a fodera strat but I’m looking forward to putting my tele and resonator into a couple soon.

Edited by heyme

On 4/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, JDaveG said:

I have the Antiquities and an old 57 Classic + on the block right now. When they sell, I’m thinking of trying out a set of these. If I like them I’ll sell the Bare Knuckle Apaches that are in my Strat now. If not, I’ll flip them. 

They just sold, I just bought. Next week should be intolerably loud in my house. 

Other than maybe getting that Duncan Broadcaster set for my Tele, I’m done buying pickups for a while. I think I’m going to sell the old pickups from my Strat and get an Area 51 kit for my wah pedal. I already have the buffer, so I just need to swap out the guts. The buffer unfortunately doesn’t work with my wah because of the way the board is designed, but I can keep the enclosure and just rebuild the internals. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I've been listening to a lot of Hendrix and Trower lately.  I need to get my Mini Deja Vibe out of storage.

I’ve been eying vibes and wahs. I need to get my strat and blues cube back from my friend’s house. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I’ve been eying vibes and wahs. I need to get my strat and blues cube back from my friend’s house. 

If I had to do it over again I'd get the Dunlop I think, but the Mini Deja Vibe is cool.  I have the older cream one with the gigantic foot knob for speed.  It's amazing.

Put it up front.  Just behind the wah and fuzz.

I'm kind of stuck with my wah -- my wife bought it for my birthday.  It's a Crybaby Classic, which is cool, but I'm going to get the Area 51 kit to turn it into an old Vox-style wah.  Again, if I had it to do over I'd probably just get a Fulltone Clyde (which is what the Area 51 kit will make mine sound like).

22 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If I had to do it over again I'd get the Dunlop I think, but the Mini Deja Vibe is cool.  I have the older cream one with the gigantic foot knob for speed.  It's amazing.

Put it up front.  Just behind the wah and fuzz.

I'm kind of stuck with my wah -- my wife bought it for my birthday.  It's a Crybaby Classic, which is cool, but I'm going to get the Area 51 kit to turn it into an old Vox-style wah.  Again, if I had it to do over I'd probably just get a Fulltone Clyde (which is what the Area 51 kit will make mine sound like).

Dan Albrecht at area 51 does great work. I had to send my budda wah in and he was able to get it honking better than when it was new. Added a range control which wasn’t there before and it’s really dialed in. Great customer service and quick with responses. The lead time was 4 weeks but he got it to me quicker.

3 minutes ago, heyme said:

Dan Albrecht at area 51 does great work. I had to send my budda wah in and he was able to get it honking better than when it was new. Added a range control which wasn’t there before and it’s really dialed in. Great customer service and quick with responses. The lead time was 4 weeks but he got it to me quicker.

I'm glad to hear that.  It's one way I can keep the present and update it to work better with my rig.  I love the tone of it, but it doesn't play well at all with my fuzz pedal.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'm glad to hear that.  It's one way I can keep the present and update it to work better with my rig.  I love the tone of it, but it doesn't play well at all with my fuzz pedal.

I’m in the same boat with my wah. They discontinued the older shell on The budda wah and the new ones are real bulky. 

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

MXR. 

That’s the one I’ve been eying. Everyone on TGP ****** that it’s really a modified phaser, it’s not “chewy” enough, and it doesn’t have the “deep throb.” Sounds fine in every demo I’ve heard. 

The Voodoo Lab Microvibe can be had used for cheap and has a real photocell. 

On 3/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, JDaveG said:

My wife thinks the banana on Masked Singer is Brett Michaels.  So "Every Rose" came on the radio yesterday, and I told my girls "you should pull up a youtube video of the banana to see if it sounds like him."

It does.  It's him.  There is no doubt.

MS-S3_EP313-Reveal-GG_0192.jpg

source.gif