Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

3 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

So, tone-lawyers, riddle me this: I use my guitar to simulate a sort of droning string sound by using a volume sweep, and two delays run back to back, so the attack is really slow and the decay holds on for a long time. But I'm finding that the Boss DD pedals I'm using don't have a decay anywhere near as long as I'd like.

Any recommendations for a good delay pedal with a super long decay?

Outside of my wheelhouse, I use very simple delays for a slapback and a slightly longer echo, nothing ambient or droning. The Ibanez DE7 I had previously could do ambient for sure though. There are a million delays out there.

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Outside of my wheelhouse, I use very simple delays for a slapback and a slightly longer echo, nothing ambient or droning. The Ibanez DE7 I had previously could do ambient for sure though. There are a million delays out there.

Same (except I ONLY use it for slapback).  And honestly, when I think "long decay" I'm thinking digital, so Boss would be the first place I'd look.

How long are we talking about?

Although, now that I think about it, I think you can set the Belle Epoch and/or Belle Epoch Deluxe to basically infinity decay -- just straight oscillation.  So maybe start with one of those?

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Same (except I ONLY use it for slapback).  And honestly, when I think "long decay" I'm thinking digital, so Boss would be the first place I'd look.

How long are we talking about?

More than 5 seconds. So pretty well out of the range of most generic pedals.

I'll check out the Belle Epoch (never heard one) and the Ibanez DE7 (have heard they're a great value). Keep 'em coming if you think of any others. Gonna be making some drones for a few weeks, it appears.

If you can find one, the Keeley modded Ibanez AD-9 has a footswitch that puts the pedal into oscillation. You could hold it for 5 seconds at a time. 

5 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

More than 5 seconds. So pretty well out of the range of most generic pedals.

I'll check out the Belle Epoch (never heard one) and the Ibanez DE7 (have heard they're a great value). Keep 'em coming if you think of any others. Gonna be making some drones for a few weeks, it appears.

Also, decay is more generally associated with reverbs.  You might want to look into some reverb pedals that people use for synth/ambient pad sounds.

34 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Also, decay is more generally associated with reverbs.  You might want to look into some reverb pedals that people use for synth/ambient pad sounds.

I assumed decay in this case meant repeats.

I guess I meant reverb more than delay. I confuse them occasionally 1. because I've never used anything other than distortion until recently and 2. the Boss delay I have also has reverb.

So...reverb pedals?

1 hour ago, eatcorn said:

I guess I meant reverb more than delay. I confuse them occasionally 1. because I've never used anything other than distortion until recently and 2. the Boss delay I have also has reverb.

So...reverb pedals?

Our singer used an Electroharmonix Holy Grail in the studio and it sounded great.  Strymon Flint if you have the dollars is pretty much the gold standard. Not sure about decay times on either one though.

Something like the Eventide Modfactor might be the best option. I had one of those and it is amazing. You can get them used in the $250 range. 

3 hours ago, eatcorn said:

So...reverb pedals?

Neunaber Wet

It's funny how GAS develops and spreads.  Way worse and more contagious than COVID-19.  My wife thinks the banana on Masked Singer is Brett Michaels.  So "Every Rose" came on the radio yesterday, and I told my girls "you should pull up a youtube video of the banana to see if it sounds like him."

It does.  It's him.  There is no doubt.

Anyway, we get home, I forget about it until I'm watching a rig rundown with Guns n Roses today and my youngest wants to know if Brett Michaels is in that band.  After I muster a poker face to hide my disappointment, I say "no sweetie, this is Brett Michaels' band" and pull up some videos of Poison.  I watch a few of them with her, one of which is CC's guitar solo into Fallen Angel.

And now I want a Flying V with a Floyd Rose on it.  And maybe a macabre but yet cabaret looking tophat.

42540310_1347468872055783_38407925433106

27 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It's funny how GAS develops and spreads.  Way worse and more contagious than COVID-19.  My wife thinks the banana on Masked Singer is Brett Michaels.  So "Every Rose" came on the radio yesterday, and I told my girls "you should pull up a youtube video of the banana to see if it sounds like him."

Anyway, we get home, I forget about it until I'm watching a rig rundown with Guns n Roses today and my youngest wants to know if Brett Michaels is in that band.  After I muster a poker face to hide my disappointment, I say "no sweetie, this is Brett Michaels' band" and pull up some videos of Poison.  I watch a few of them with her, one of which is CC's guitar solo into Fallen Angel.

And now I want a Flying V with a Floyd Rose on it.  And maybe a macabre but yet cabaret looking tophat.

Epiphone makes a V with a Floyd rose, the new Judas Priest player’s sig. 

Just now, mdrake34 said:

Epiphone makes a V with a Floyd rose, the new Judas Priest player’s sig. 

I looked it up, but it has the FR1000 bridge and EMGs.  The EMGs would have to go for sure.

So for the extra money I'd spend upgrading it I'd probably try to source one of those 2011 special run Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/item/17188930-gibson-flying-v-tremolo-factory-floyd-rose-2011-very-rare-2011-white

ksvwzufubdhy5ijo9kbl.jpg

Unfortunately, that one is sold :(

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I looked it up, but it has the FR1000 bridge and EMGs.  The EMGs would have to go for sure.

So for the extra money I'd spend upgrading it I'd probably try to source one of those 2011 special run Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/item/17188930-gibson-flying-v-tremolo-factory-floyd-rose-2011-very-rare-2011-white

ksvwzufubdhy5ijo9kbl.jpg

Unfortunately, that one is sold :(

Go big 

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-zakk-wylde-custom-flying-v-bullseye-2007

I will second @JDaveG the holy grail is a great bang for you buck reverb pedal. I like it so much it stays on about 75% of the time. There’s a lot of good ones but you can’t beat that one for The price.

I didn’t get the Flying V, but I did just score a Seymour Duncan JB wound by Lidia Daniel sometime between 1983 and 1987. Lidia went on to work with Maricela Juarez (who wound my Pearly Gates set and the Antiquities that came with Drake’s Les Paul) in the Custom Shop. I feel like a genie is going to make me play like Warren de Martini if I rub the pickup before installing it. 

sznmiilwdyttnsxgw2fj.jpg

edolmpvpopj4mfibyfjk.jpg

It’s going in the bridge of my other Les Paul:

uyEL8Ti.jpg

8 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Here is the top hat.

https://poshmark.com/listing/Genuine-Leather-Steampunk-Deadman-Top-Hat-5c18695504e33dd7bc347268?utm_source=gdm&utm_source=gdm&ad_partner=google&ad_partner=google&l_con=NWT%2FNEW&utm_campaign=1945930212&campaign_id=1945930212&gskid=pla-819890354333&gcid=351067211452&ggid=76362778928&gdid=c&g_network=g&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_vzBRCIARIsAOs54z5d4SmN685PZh7f5KSIfnIUAy9CXQBOPtASDo4GruEY-57FzQw2zlMaAorQEALw_wcB

For reference, 48K DCR (compared to about 8K for my PAF style hum buckers, 5-6K for my Strat pickups, and a whopping 16K for the JB I just ordered).