Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

Anyone watch any of the NAMM stuff? The new parallel universe guitar line looks incredible! I wasn’t a fan of the first wave But it looks like fender did very good this time around.

1 hour ago, heyme said:

Anyone watch any of the NAMM stuff? The new parallel universe guitar line looks incredible! I wasn’t a fan of the first wave But it looks like fender did very good this time around.

Epiphone absolutely stole the show.  The new "Gibson inspired by" series is going to sell a metric *** load of guitars.  At $379, the les paul jr, with a proper set neck, dog ear P90, and even CTS pots, is a no-brainer, as is a $549 SG with a vibrola. 

I just got this in the mail today, traded my mad professor sweet honey overdrive for it.  It's hand built by Peter Clinch in Austrailia (who posts on another message board where @JDaveG and I post) and is considered by most folks as the most accurate replication of an echoplex preamp (much more so than the Xotic EP Booster).  Can't wait to go play through it

13 hours ago, JDaveG said:

That might happen. I’ve been wanting a dedicated slide guitar. 

I was actually thinking -- I have several sets of pickups, which ones should I put in there?

Then I remembered a dude we played a bill with at Buckhead Theater played an SG with a plain jane set of Duncan 59s and it was the most amazing tone.  

Gah, I need to sell some stuff.

The cover band I'm in wants to play some 80s metal covers.  My older Les Paul (not the one formerly known as @mdrake34's Les Paul) is a nineties model.  Because Gibson is conservative even as guitar companies go, this means they were about 5 years behind the times on what the customer wanted.  Grunge was here, people wanted offset Fenders with humbuckers or old, vintage style LPs, but Gibson still offered the Standard with the old 490r/498t set, which is basically a takeoff on the Seymour Duncan 59/JB set.  Cool pickups, but when that Les Paul was my only Les Paul, I wanted vintage.

Fast forward to today, and I now have 2 Les Pauls, and Drake's old one sounds amazing with the vintage PAF type pickups, so I put the stockers back in the 90s model.  The plan was to see how I liked it and maybe change them to a 59/JB or Jazz/JB (or, maybe, 59 or Jazz in the neck and a Custom in the bridge) set later.  I forgot how great these pickups are for that particular tone.  Plugged in, played "Round and Round" by Ratt, and good Lord -- it's just that tone.

Warren used a JB on that track, so I'm pretty confident in my assessment that the 498t is supposed to make a LP sound like a superstrat with a JB in it.  It manages that trick pretty well.  

While I was at it, I put the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set back in Drake's old one.  Mostly because I love the look, but also because they're a different shade of what the Antiquities he put in it gave me.  Here's a shot from a gig we did back in April, the first time I went this route:

60875844_10214951809365745_1406308185475

Moral of the story?  Well, I don't know.  I guess that everyone should have 2 Les Pauls.

5 hours ago, JDaveG said:

The cover band I'm in wants to play some 80s metal covers.  My older Les Paul (not the one formerly known as @mdrake34's Les Paul) is a nineties model.  Because Gibson is conservative even as guitar companies go, this means they were about 5 years behind the times on what the customer wanted.  Grunge was here, people wanted offset Fenders with humbuckers or old, vintage style LPs, but Gibson still offered the Standard with the old 490r/498t set, which is basically a takeoff on the Seymour Duncan 59/JB set.  Cool pickups, but when that Les Paul was my only Les Paul, I wanted vintage.

Fast forward to today, and I now have 2 Les Pauls, and Drake's old one sounds amazing with the vintage PAF type pickups, so I put the stockers back in the 90s model.  The plan was to see how I liked it and maybe change them to a 59/JB or Jazz/JB (or, maybe, 59 or Jazz in the neck and a Custom in the bridge) set later.  I forgot how great these pickups are for that particular tone.  Plugged in, played "Round and Round" by Ratt, and good Lord -- it's just that tone.

Warren used a JB on that track, so I'm pretty confident in my assessment that the 498t is supposed to make a LP sound like a superstrat with a JB in it.  It manages that trick pretty well.  

While I was at it, I put the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set back in Drake's old one.  Mostly because I love the look, but also because they're a different shade of what the Antiquities he put in it gave me.  Here's a shot from a gig we did back in April, the first time I went this route:

60875844_10214951809365745_1406308185475

Moral of the story?  Well, I don't know.  I guess that everyone should have 2 Les Pauls.

Sounds like you need 3 Les Pauls 

Once we get settled into the new house and the tidal wave of cost that is associated with buying a home has passed I am going to pick up a couple of the new epiphones.

I am eyeballing the 61 SG and one of the Les Paul muse. 

There is a Sam Ash about a mile from the new house so temptation will abound.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, mdrake34 said:

Epiphone absolutely stole the show.  The new "Gibson inspired by" series is going to sell a metric *** load of guitars.  At $379, the les paul jr, with a proper set neck, dog ear P90, and even CTS pots, is a no-brainer, as is a $549 SG with a vibrola. 

I just got this in the mail today, traded my mad professor sweet honey overdrive for it.  It's hand built by Peter Clinch in Austrailia (who posts on another message board where @JDaveG and I post) and is considered by most folks as the most accurate replication of an echoplex preamp (much more so than the Xotic EP Booster).  Can't wait to go play through it

So the first night I played this, I was totally underwhelmed.  Yes, I could hear a shift in the upper mid frequencies with the pedal engaged, but it wasn't a parting of the heavens tonal revelation.  The folks I know that all have one swear they never turn theirs off anymore because they prefer how all of their amps sound with it on, plus it makes every delay sound better.  I thought about flipping it.  But I've kept it, and, lo and behold, I prefer my tone with it engaged vs. off with all of my guitars too.  Again, it's more of a coloration type thing vs. totally changing your sound, but it's a keeper.

4 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

Thoughts....

I've been intrigued with this for a while.  I might try one.  I missed the dirt cheap pre-order, but it seems to be a good bedroom solution.

I already have S-Gear and a nice set of monitors, so I'm not sure it gives me anything I don't have except portability.  But if it works well, it would be a nice option to be able to play in the living room while I watch TV or whatever.

This thread is relative to my interest. I own a small boutique guitar company. Here are some of my stock outside of my companies.

From Right to Left: 
Ernie Ball Ball Family Reserve JP12

Ibanez RG550 (had one of these as a kid, I had to have the reissue) (Demarzio Super Dist/ PAF Pro)

Ibanez RG652 (Demarzio Evolutions)

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro (Seymour Duncan Slash Set)

032C30D3-A1C5-44B4-B10F-E70E76DF491C.jpeg

Edited by Emmitt

Appreciate it guys!  I’ve always loved guitars. I started playing at 14 and still continue on at 50. I’ve saved myself a boatload of physiatrist bills from the piece of mind that occurs from turning a guitar up to 10 and letting her rip.

I’ve hesitated saying anything because it gives my identity away in the past, but in all reality, who cares. 

17 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Appreciate it guys!  I’ve always loved guitars. I started playing at 14 and still continue on at 50. I’ve saved myself a boatload of physiatrist bills from the piece of mind that occurs from turning a guitar up to 10 and letting her rip.

I’ve hesitated saying anything because it gives my identity away in the past, but in all reality, who cares. 

Wait.....you mean you're not really Emmitt?       As for hogging this thread.....You post as much as you want on here.