Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

Man I wanna get a Robert Keeley Monterey fuzz pedal as my next purchase. So many features once you add the expression pedal too. Just hard to fork out that much for a pedal right now but man I’ve been itching like a crack head for a couple weeks now lol.

Saw a thing a someone posted on FB asking their musician friends to list every guitar & amp they've owned. I'm probably forgetting some things, but to the best of my memory here's everything I've had roughly in the order I got them:

Guitars & Basses
Harmony P-bass copy (3/4 scale)
Ibanez TR-4 bass 
Epiphone Accu bass
Kramer XL
Fender Rosewood Telecaster
Gibson SG 61 reissue
Fender Squire Pro Tone Telecaster
G&L SC-1
Travis Bean TB1000A
Epiphone SG special
Fender Precision Bass (1971: thinner neck, different wiring)
Fender Highway-1 Precision Bass 
Univox Hi-Flyer Phase 4
Ibanez Artcore AS-73
Univox Hi-Flyer Phase 3
Gretsch Rancher Jr. Acoustic
Gibson SG 61 reissue (another one)
Gibson SG Ltd Edition Silverburst w/ 61 neck & coil-tapped pickups

Amps
Crate BX-15 combo
Peavey TKO-80 combo
Crate G40C-XL combo
Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 head
Marshall JTM C212 cab
Marshall JCM800 50w head
Sovtek Mig 50 head
Yamaha S412V cab
Marshall JCM800 50w head (another one)
Marshall JMP 2203 100w head
Hartke HA7000 head
Ace Tone 2x15 cab
Acoustic Control Corp 106 2x15 cab
Soldano HR-50 head
Soldano 4x12 slant cab
Acoustic Control Corp 470 head
VHT Fat Bottom 2x12 cab
Blackstar HT-1 combo

I've gotten rid of all of it except the newer 61 reissue SG, the Gretsch Rancher Jr. acoustic, and the Blackstar 1-watt combo amp. Just sold the Acoustic 470 head today & currently have the Soldano rig & the VHT cab up for sale on Reverb & FB marketplace.

After buying and selling/returning three different amps, I went back to what I had and what worked for me - Bassbreaker 15.  Got this limited edition FSR Midnight Oil for cheap on reverb, it's barely used according to the seller.  It has black tolex instead of the ugly grey tweed on the regular version, chickenhead knobs, and a Celestion Greenback instead of the stock Celestion V-type.  And it sounds awesome at very manageable volumes.

TNFqqEc.jpg

gCnjAII.jpg

XVtgDxq.jpg

I didn't play for a good 6 weeks.  Then when Ric Ocasek passed away I got obsessed with trying to learn the solo in Just What I Needed.  That solo is super bendy and my uncallused from not playing fingers are screaming with pain.  Literally could not play today because they are so sore.   What a great solo though.

13 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Never heard of one before now, but they’re $330 new, so that’s a good deal assuming the setup isn’t all jacked up. 

I’m not sure there’s a stable, decent looking guitar I wouldn’t be willing to drop $75 on. 

Can’t get rid of fret buzz? Set it up for slide. I’d buy that just to leave lying around when I don’t want to uncase one of the nice ones. 

I already have a couple of those “lying around” guitars. 

12 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I went with hybrid slinkys and they feel good.

@mdrake34 had the Les Paul set up with a 9.5 hybrid set. I had 11s on all my guitars at the time. 

I switched to 10s. Turns out I’m a much better player than I thought. 

You have to balance stability, tone and playability. 10s work for me. I’ve used 9s but I always mash them out of tune live. Apparently I have a much harder attack with both hands when I’m onstage. 

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

@mdrake34 had the Les Paul set up with a 9.5 hybrid set. I had 11s on all my guitars at the time. 

I switched to 10s. Turns out I’m a much better player than I thought. 

You have to balance stability, tone and playability. 10s work for me. I’ve used 9s but I always mash them out of tune live. Apparently I have a much harder attack with both hands when I’m onstage. 

giphy.gif

Slash uses 11's, but he tunes down half a step, and he's a Bear Jew.

Bonamassa uses 11's too.  I still toy with getting the DGT set up for 10's. 

I'm about to basically redo my entire board.  Right now I have just a Marshall in a box pedal if I'm using my Deluxe Reverb, or a Fulldrive 2 if I'm using the Marshall.  I'm going to probably end up ditching the Marshall entirely and going with the DR and a larger board, with the MIAB as the base tone.  I'm going to have the Fulldrive and a fuzz to push the MIAB.  I'm going to put my old vibe pedal -- Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe -- back on, and get a delay.  The wah will be board mounted as well.

I need to sell some stuff off to fund this, but I'm hoping I'll have sort of a best of both worlds. I've been more "straight into the amp" lately, but I found when I got the MIAB for a gig recently that I can get consistently excellent tone at a variety of volumes this way, and I actually prefer the pedal to the actual cranked Marshall, which sounds monstrous, but can be inconsistent and is finicky if you have to turn down.

Good news is I only have to buy 2 pedals -- a new fuzz that's friendly with a power supply and the delay, plus the board and power supply.  I can do it in pieces, using my germ fuzz with a battery (it has an on/off switch built into the fuzz knob) and going with no delay until I can get it all together.

I tend to buy pedals and guitars and amps used so sometimes it takes some time to get it all sorted out.  I'll buy the board and supply new though.

36 minutes ago, achilles return said:

if you're redoing your board you might as well go all out and get it done like the pedal show boys, complete with the gigrig g2 for crazy pedal combinations. 

Nah.  I'm still in favor of simpler.  The board will have 5 effects pedals including the wah, plus the tuner.  That's more than I need, but I'll find use for each of them.

The vibe is cool for some stuff, so I'm going to make a way to work that into some stuff.

I bought the Robert Keeley Monterey fuzz which has pretty much everything in one fuzz pedal. It has a modulation pedal on the left and a fuzz on the right. The modulation effects include auto wah, rotary, and vibe selections. Also includes the ability to modulate your sound an octave up or suboctave down. You can also plug it into an expression pedal (I’m running the Dunlop mini) and use it as a wah versus auto wah. A Big Bang for the buck and leaves you with a lot more room for effects since it only takes up one power supply and spot on the board.

I changed my mind. I’m just going to get a slightly longer board and run what I’m running now, except it will all fit on the board. 

I remember why I simplified to begin with. Too much on the board just goobers up the tone. 

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I changed my mind. I’m just going to get a slightly longer board and run what I’m running now, except it will all fit on the board. 

I remember why I simplified to begin with. Too much on the board just goobers up the tone. 

Do you have a pedaltrain Nano or Nano +?