gear acquisition syndrome thread

12 hours ago, achilles return said:

that's a good price for that guitar without having touched it, fwiw

It's a pawn shop so I could probably get it for $200. But if I took it to get painted at a body shop and replaced the bottom pickup, I might be in the $350 range which I see MIM a lot for that price. Not sure if i want to go through the hassle or just look for another guitar.

23 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

Came across this. Thoughts?

ME personally. I don't consider myself an expert on models and what model had string  trees. How many screws  or placement of screw holes in the pick guard etc. I could totally get tricked into buying one of these. And honestly. If it played good and sounded good. It wouldnt bother me. Do I think that it's ok to try to pass off something as authentic when it isn't ....? No. But, I f I bought one and it was awesome. in the end I wouldnt be upset.

The most expensive guitar I ever bout was 500 bucks. and I have been happy with it. And just as happy as with my cheaper models. It's all about how they feel and sound more than the price.  But yeah I might be a little ticked if I paid 1000 bucks for a fake fender. But I won't spend that much on a guitar anyway. So I'm safe.

20 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

ME personally. I don't consider myself an expert on models and what model had string  trees. How many screws  or placement of screw holes in the pick guard etc. I could totally get tricked into buying one of these. And honestly. If it played good and sounded good. It wouldnt bother me. Do I think that it's ok to try to pass off something as authentic when it isn't ....? No. But, I f I bought one and it was awesome. in the end I wouldnt be upset.

It probably sounds better than the cheap Peavey Predator I've had for the past 20 years. I have a Epiphone Sheraton that I hardly play too. 

On 8/16/2019 at 8:01 AM, SpongeDad said:

It probably sounds better than the cheap Peavey Predator I've had for the past 20 years. I have a Epiphone Sheraton that I hardly play too. 

Isn't the predator kind of a Strat build?  Not sure what a sheraton is. I'll google it. Crazy how you have two or three guitars and two or three amps and youre still wanting more. I'm sure my wife dont understand. LOL

6 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

Isn't the predator kind of a Strat build? 

Yeah but I want a real Strat

Not sure what a sheraton is.

Mine looks like this

lg_shernagh3.jpg

Crazy how you have two or three guitars and two or three amps and youre still wanting more

You should see my nintendo/transformers collection.

33 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

LOL lucky.  I was I had all the guitars I have let go back. I'd have about 18 guitars if I held on to them all. Hind sight is 20/20 they say.

I hear ya, I’ve sold more guitars than I’ve purchased the past couple of years. But the ones I bought were huge purchases vs the $200-$500 range all the ones I sold were. Once I became single again I decided it was time to buy the guitars I dreamed of owning as a kid.

20 minutes ago, heyme said:

I hear ya, I’ve sold more guitars than I’ve purchased the past couple of years. But the ones I bought were huge purchases vs the $200-$500 range all the ones I sold were. Once I became single again I decided it was time to buy the guitars I dreamed of owning as a kid.

For sure. I'm married but I always wanted a les paul. Mines an epiphone 500 bucks. Most I ever spent on a guitar. I'm happy with it. I also have two strats. Both are squiers. I don't play in a band anymore so that's plenty. for now/

13 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

Yeah but I want a real Strat

Mine looks like this

lg_shernagh3.jpg

You should see my nintendo/transformers collection.

Ben Nichols played one just like that for the entire show last time I saw Lucero live. His tone was unreal. 

If you want to hear it, get the “Live from Atlanta” album. It was one of those shows. 

9 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

Do you collect?

I used to. gave it up for Guitars..LOL. I do have a small collection of batmobiles and batman figures left. And a pretty good size Batman comic collection. I used to have every video game console. But ended up getting rid of them. Just have xbox one  now. My wife has a gaming PC. I dont get to play on it. She has Myastenia Gravis and during the hot summer months it pretty much shuts her down. All she can do is play her Skyrim. She makes Mods and does all kinds of stuff with it.

9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Ben Nichols played one just like that for the entire show last time I saw Lucero live. His tone was unreal. 

If you want to hear it, get the “Live from Atlanta” album. It was one of those shows. 

I had never heard of Lucero. I checked em out of you tube. Pretty good stuff. 

10 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

I used to. gave it up for Guitars..LOL. I do have a small collection of batmobiles and batman figures left. And a pretty good size Batman comic collection. I used to have every video game console. But ended up getting rid of them. Just have xbox one  now. My wife has a gaming PC. I dont get to play on it. She has Myastenia Gravis and during the hot summer months it pretty much shuts her down. All she can do is play her Skyrim. She makes Mods and does all kinds of stuff with it.

If you ever want to do a wife swap, let me know. She sounds a lot cooler than mine. 

My entire transformers collection is boxed up in the attic. I never took them out after we moved. @mdrake34 has seen them and can tell you it's pretty massive. This is 1/100 of my video games. They're mostly in the attic too. The Mrs. didn't want the new house looking like the old house with my toys and games everywhere. I turned a spare bedroom into a game room though.

cab.jpg

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

50 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

If you ever want to do a wife swap, let me know. She sounds a lot cooler than mine. 

My entire transformers collection is boxed up in the attic. I never took them out after we moved. @mdrake34 has seen them and can tell you it's pretty massive. This is 1/100 of my video games. They're mostly in the attic too. The Mrs. didn't want the new house looking like the old house with my toys and games everywhere. I turned a spare bedroom into a game room though.

cab.jpg

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

LOL awesome man. I didn't have nowhere close to that much stuff. That's a gold mine.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, Skeetbird said:

For sure. I'm married but I always wanted a les paul. Mines an epiphone 500 bucks. Most I ever spent on a guitar. I'm happy with it. I also have two strats. Both are squiers. I don't play in a band anymore so that's plenty. for now/

Speaking of Les Pauls, was chatting with a co-worker a few years ago and we started talking guitars. He sends me a pic of a white les Paul custom, and a sunburst one. Mentioned how I’d wanted a sunburst one like Steve Clark had, and also wanted a white one like Randy Rhoads had. About a week later, a box shows up, and I open it, and it is that white les paul 

1 hour ago, shc said:

Speaking of Les Pauls, was chatting with a co-worker a few years ago and we started talking guitars. He sends me a pic of a white les Paul custom, and a sunburst one. Mentioned how I’d wanted a sunburst one like Steve Clark had, and also wanted a white one like Randy Rhoads had. About a week later, a box shows up, and I open it, and it is that white les paul 

I think I have posted it before  but here's mine....  Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO-II Electric Guitar Vintage Sunburst. REALLY thick neck compared to the Strats. But I love it. 

Image result for Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO-II Electric Guitar Vintage Sunburst

Here's the reason I always wanted a Les Paul. I realize he is sloppy and not a great guitarist but he is the reason I wanted to play a guitar way back in 79 when i bought my first guitar I was 14.  He influenced a lot of people my age. I never played lead though I played rhythm in my old bands. i just loved the way Les pauls look and sound. I had  a few knock offs back in the early eighties.

But then I heard Eddie van Halen........and traded for a red Kramer

Image result for ace frehley