gear acquisition syndrome thread

12 minutes ago, Googlywoogly said:

I owned a MiM telecaster that was excellent.  Build quality was off the charts and it played like a boss right out of the box.  Came with Texas Special pickups.  They were great pickups.

I have a 2001 mim that I put the tx specials in. **** of a player. I recently bought an American and while it’s better than the mim I don’t believe it’s really worth it if you know how to do basic guitar upgrades such as soldering pups, carving nuts, replace tuners, etc. and that’s a 2001, the newer ones from Mexico are built even better.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busted out an old friend for rehearsal last night — my Oldfield Deluxe Reverb clone. 

This made me laugh out loud, and seemed to fit best here:

I'm re-working my smaller board (the one I got from @Mr. Hoopah!).  I have my old germ Sunface on there, I just put a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on, and I have a Tumnus Deluxe on the way.  If I can ge

Posted Images

Any slide players here? I personally fell in love with it about two years ago. I have a gold tone resonator that is perfect for it.  I really like brass but ceramic slides have been growing on me. Those two really seem to grip the string the way I like. Glass is cool but just a little bit too wet for me.

2 hours ago, Googlywoogly said:

I owned a MiM telecaster that was excellent.  Build quality was off the charts and it played like a boss right out of the box.  Came with Texas Special pickups.  They were great pickups.

The only thing that turns me off about telecasters is the knobs and toggle switch. I prefer the stratocaster setup a lot better.

Angled_Mini-Switch_Telecaster.jpg

6 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

is this a good amp for 300? Reviews on the site say it's great but reviews from guitar players on YT say it sucks.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Code50Combo--marshall-code-50-50-watt-1x12-inch-digital-combo-amp

Our other guitarist has one. I’m unimpressed. I’d look at the Katana in that class. Drake had one and loved it. Or better yet, double your budget and get an HX Stomp or Amplifire. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Our other guitarist has one. I’m unimpressed. I’d look at the Katana in that class. Drake had one and loved it. Or better yet, double your budget and get an HX Stomp or Amplifire. 

But for $100 it would be ok for sitting by the couch to play with?

Before buying a 50 watt that will probably rattle your windows and make your ears bleed if you try to turn it up in your living room, look at 5 watt amps.

All I do is play in private at home (dog is biggest fan) and my 30 watt amp is too loud to crank up.  I'll be in market for new amp soon and will be eyeing the 5 watt amps.

https://toptubeamplifier.com/the-best-5-watt-tube-amp/

1 hour ago, Googlywoogly said:

What do the pros here think of an Amp like this?  Just for rocking out in private at home?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-611705-5-Watt-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B016JDJ8TA?tag=tubeamplifi0d-20

A lot of folks online like the Monoprice 5 and 15 watt models. Should be fine for home playing, still loud to give up the goods even at 5 watts. 

So I bought my first bass guitar. A mim jazz bass. I just picked up some Aguilar pickups that I’m going to solder in there as well. It’s been a while since I’ve made a nice cheap gear purchase since my last two were a fodera emperor and a custom shop fender which are the opposite of cheap haha. Looking forward to laying down some low end on this girl!