gear acquisition syndrome thread

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busted out an old friend for rehearsal last night — my Oldfield Deluxe Reverb clone. 

I'm re-working my smaller board (the one I got from @Mr. Hoopah!).  I have my old germ Sunface on there, I just put a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on, and I have a Tumnus Deluxe on the way.  If I can ge

This made me laugh out loud, and seemed to fit best here:

Posted Images

11 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I was trying to sell a 1982 Yamaha FG-375S II solid spruce top gold pegs, abalone diamond inlays, rosewood fret board and mahogany back, on Craigslist, I had a bunch of hits. but they all ended up being scammers.  Trying to steal it away from me.  Then the legitimate buyers tried to low ball the she-it out of me. 

I've had luck selling other things on Craigslist, but no so much with the musical equipment. 

I see a lot of guitars on facebook market place. But Ive never sold anything on it. Not sure how that would work out.

7 hours ago, heyme said:

Reggi Wooten is a beast and still plays a Japanese squire through an 80’s peavy amp. Not too many players better than him!

I've never heard of him. Looked him up and will check out some vids. He looks like the lead singer of Living Colour. (cult of personality). Their guitarist ( i know his name but cant remember it right now) he's pretty darn good.

35 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

I see a lot of guitars on facebook market place. But Ive never sold anything on it. Not sure how that would work out.

It's vintage. I've seen them go from $300-$500 I was offered $250

Might just hand it down to a relative if I sell it the proceeds just go into another guitar...not that it's a bad thing.

14 hours ago, Googlywoogly said:

I like Marty okay.  Justin Sandercoe makes great guitar lesson videos too.  Jun626 channels Jimmy Page expertly.  This guy plays very good too, and has a guitar collection that will blow you away:

JJ is my go to if I want to try to learn a classic rock song.  I had to play Going to California at a friend's wedding a couple of saturdays ago and used his video to learn it. 

5 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

JJ is my go to if I want to try to learn a classic rock song.  I had to play Going to California at a friend's wedding a couple of saturdays ago and used his video to learn it. 

I like his lesson videos because he doesn't spend time telling me exactly how to play the chords or do the strumming. Says if you need help with that go look for some beginner lessons.

22 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I also like Marty Schwartz, though.  His voice and mannerisms are annoying, but he is good at breaking down theory.  

Marty has an all acoustic arrangement of the song What is and What Should Never Be on Itunes (The guy singing sings it better than Robert Plant in my opinion).  It is worth checking out.

1 hour ago, Googlywoogly said:

I like his lesson videos because he doesn't spend time telling me exactly how to play the chords or do the strumming. Says if you need help with that go look for some beginner lessons.

That's what drives me crazy about MyGuitarSage Erich Andreas. Dude talks so much before he gets to the lesson i usually cliff off before I learn anything.

Marty the thing that really rubbed me the wrong way is I was going in to verify that I was playing Gypsy road correctly. and the dude was playing it wrong and anyone who has half an ear knows it was wrong.  I just got back from looking for it to show you how bad it was off.and he evidently figured out it was wrong and took it down I cant find it. So that's good at least. I did watch him with Mary Spender the other day so he aint all bad.

Anybody watch Frog leap studios dude? It's not my type of music but he covers stuff in really hard metal and some of them are interesting. But still not my type of music

How do you guys feel about Line 6 amps? He said he's got one but I have no idea the model number or what it looks like. I already have a Marshall amp with tubes so I'm not really in the market for an amp. He got both from a guy he works with for $50. He's not a guitar player either.

2 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

How do you guys feel about Line 6 amps? He said he's got one but I have no idea the model number or what it looks like. I already have a Marshall amp with tubes so I'm not really in the market for an amp. He got both from a guy he works with for $50. He's not a guitar player either.

Depends on the model, but most are good amps for the money. 

36 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Honestly, if I were going that route, I'd get a Helix.  They make the new stomp-sized model, which is pretty awesome.  Downside is you need a good set of monitors or a PA speaker.  Upside is you can use headphones, whatever, and they still sound unreal.

One day I'll get one for those "you have to play quiet" stupid gigs our singer always loves to line up.  If someone complains about my tone, I'll simply explain it would sound worse if I choked my tube amp down to 80 db.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I thought for sure you'd be getting a Brit-toned amp.  

I love both, so I refuse to choose.

I'm getting both.  I sold the KOT and bassbreaker, that is what's funding this Cure if the offer is accepted.  And I just got an email that my referral fee check is getting mailed today, so a Friedman will be incoming in the near future. :rain:

Just now, mdrake34 said:

I'm getting both.  I sold the KOT and bassbreaker, that is what's funding this Cure if the offer is accepted.  And I just got an email that my referral fee check is getting mailed today, so a Friedman will be incoming in the near future. :rain:

:lol:

Outstanding.  You won't regret that.  Having both options is by far better than any compromise I've attempted.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

:lol:

Outstanding.  You won't regret that.  Having both options is by far better than any compromise I've attempted.

The Cure is superior to any reissue Princeton, is built like a tank, can do blackface and tweed tones (with a tight low end), and has the best master volume I've ever played.  I didn't think it would be possible, most used Cure's are $1200+ used, but this one was recently dropped to $1000 + $40 shipping.  I offered $950 plus the shipping.  If he stays at 1000, I can still swing it, but hopefully he'll accept. 

Just now, mdrake34 said:

The Cure is superior to any reissue Princeton, is built like a tank, can do blackface and tweed tones (with a tight low end), and has the best master volume I've ever played.  I didn't think it would be possible, most used Cure's are $1200+ used, but this one was recently dropped to $1000 + $40 shipping.  I offered $950 plus the shipping.  If he stays at 1000, I can still swing it, but hopefully he'll accept. 

I'd miss the reverb and trem channels, but the Cure is cathode biased (always a plus) and has an effects loop.  Put a Strymon Flint in the loop and you won't miss either one.

I think that's a great purchase.  You can also flip it if you decide later you want "the real thing," which you probably won't.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I'd miss the reverb and trem channels, but the Cure is cathode biased (always a plus) and has an effects loop.  Put a Strymon Flint in the loop and you won't miss either one.

I think that's a great purchase.  You can also flip it if you decide later you want "the real thing," which you probably won't.

I've got that EHX nano holy grail, I'll use it in the loop. 

26 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Last night my wife asked why I was selling all my stuff. “To buy more stuff.”

Is there ever any other reason to sell stuff?

My current plans, after some financial details are out of the way (which is longer term, but within a couple of years), include saving up for a nice ES-335.  I've always wanted one.  Playing yours reinforced that.  I may sell my AC-30 and an old 80s Marshall cabinet I have to help fund it.