Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

403 posts in this topic

Just now, mdrake34 said:

I'm reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy ready for my referral fee to come in so I can snag a used Friedman Dirty Shirley mini.  I don't want to email the other guy and bug him, it's a minor settlement so they needed court approval but I thought they were getting that in motion in May . . .

I also listed the bassbreaker for sale.  Combined with the KOT funds, I think I'm going to try to snag a used princeton reverb.  Between that and the Friedman, I won't need any more amps.

No.  No you will not.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I love how much that Les Paul looks like mine (the Les Paul formerly known as yours):

755f30_4718326366854193b9780510f951d201~

His daughter put a duck sticker on the pickguard, so he named it Duck. 

JDaveG likes this

Just now, mdrake34 said:

His daughter put a duck sticker on the pickguard, so he named it Duck. 

His top is prettier than mine.  But I prefer plaintops, and plaintops with a little flame are the best.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

His top is prettier than mine.  But I prefer plaintops, and plaintops with a little flame are the best.

Duck is a R9, so it's got that lawyer wood.

JDaveG likes this

Just now, mdrake34 said:

Duck is a R9, so it's got that lawyer wood.

"Lawyer wood" might be said in a different context to my wife at some point.  I haven't decided yet.

mdrake34 likes this

I'm over here re reading this thread. And feeling inferior because I do have a Strat....its a Squier though. I have upgraded the bridge and other things ...repainted it and putting a new pickguard on it. Was  black with aged white pickguard now it's aqua with a black pick guard.  I also have a Les Paul but its an epiphone.

I also have a Schecter two Humbuckers. Two fender Amps. SO yeah I feel inferior. because I dont have the expensive stuff. But all three of my guitars sound awesome. Like I said earlier in this thread. I wish i had all the guitars and amps and various equipment I had back in the 80's. But Oh well. I'm not in a group anymore and just LOVE music and playing. I am re learning stuff I used to know and learning all kinds of stuff I did'nt.

I think I saw a PRS on one picture. I love the way those things look.  I also love this Acacia Image result for acacia guitars

@Skeetbird, seriously, there is nothing inferior about those guitars.  I played a gig once with an MIM Traditional Series Strat, which is way worse quality in terms of hardware and electronics than a Squier.  I played it through a Boss BD-2 and a Chinese made Vox AC30.  My daughter owns the Strat now, but I would have zero problem gigging that guitar again.  It's a fantastic instrument.

I love nice guitars.  I am blessed to own a few.  But I don't make them sound any better than an equally good player with lower end gear.  We're in a wonderful golden age of guitars and guitar-gear right now, where you can get gig-worthy gear at really, really low prices.  Play those instruments and enjoy them without remorse. I have friends with way more expensive gear than me that don't sound as good, and friends with either equivalent gear or lower who absolutely smoke me in terms of tone, taste, phrasing, etc.  

It's the archer, not the bow, that counts. 

Skeetbird likes this

Also, I played a bill at 120 Tavern back when they were around, and the headlining band was really good.  The lead player used a Schecter 2 HB guitar into some oddball effects modeler (it wasn't a Fractal or whatever -- it was like a Vox, and probably cost around $300 or so), into a Vox Night Train combo amp.  His tone was off the hook.  He was a better player than me.  I played a Les Paul into a Marshall 18 Watt head and a 2x12 cabinet with a minor assortment of pedals.  I wasn't as good a player as him.  His tone was amazing.  Most of it was him.

I saw Todd Rundgren at Center Stage a few years ago.  He played his Strat into a Line 6 modeler.  His tone was really good.

I love obsessing over this stuff, but I am cognizant of the fact that I should spend a lot more time practicing than buying gear.  That's one reason I fell asleep in a living room chair with Drake's old honeyburst in my lap yesterday.  Woke up and went to bed at 1:00 AM.  I was watching TV and literally just running scales, working on different ways to alternate major and minor pentatonic scales, working on chord voicings.  I'm not a really great player at all, but I work hard at it, because I sound better when I play better.  I've been working on phrasing a lot lately.  Finding different ways to bend or slide to get variations on the same effect.  Stinging hammer-ons instead of just slurring them.  Trying to make bends bite harder for effect.  Speeding up and slowing down runs for emphasis.

Skeetbird and mdrake34 like this

1 hour ago, Skeetbird said:

I'm over here re reading this thread. And feeling inferior because I do have a Strat....its a Squier though. I have upgraded the bridge and other things ...repainted it and putting a new pickguard on it. Was a lack with aged white pickguard now it's aqua with a black pick guard.  I also have a Les Paul but its an epiphone.

I also have a Schecter two Humbuckers. Two fender Amps. SO yeah I feel inferior. because I dont have the expensive stuff. But all three of my guitars sound awesome. Like I said earlier in this thread. I wish i had all the guitars and amps and various equipment I had back in the 80's. But Oh well. I'm not in a group anymore and just LOVE music and playing. I am re learning stuff I used to know and learning all kinds of stuff I did'nt.

I think I saw a PRS on one picture. I love the way those things look.  I also love this Acacia Image result for acacia guitars

I have seen some seriously bad *** squires.

Those are great guitars to go all Frankenstein on.

No shame in your game man.

Skeetbird and JDaveG like this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I have seen some seriously bad *** squires.

Those are great guitars to go all Frankenstein on.

No shame in your game man.

Last weekend I saw a nice Squire in the color I want at Guitar Center. I almost pulled the trigger but I checked myself and still holding out for a mex (or american if cheap enough). I found a nice Squire at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago for a hundred bucks but the guy wouldn't take 75 for it. I was going to Frankenstein it like you mentioned.

JDaveG likes this

32 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Last weekend I saw a nice Squire in the color I want at Guitar Center. I almost pulled the trigger but I checked myself and still holding out for a mex (or american if cheap enough). I found a nice Squire at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago for a hundred bucks but the guy wouldn't take 75 for it. I was going to Frankenstein it like you mentioned.

You can get them new for 100 bucks give or take a few....guy is silly.

I have a mexican strat in Arctic white....I have not done anything to it yet...but I want to get an el cheapo squire to experiment on.

I can deal with dropping $100 and mucking it up.

I don't want to muck up the $500 version

SpongeDad, Skeetbird and JDaveG like this

44 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

This is a pretty **** good deal on an american strat, though it's a rosewood board and I know you want maple: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/d/marietta-fender-strat-usa/6913758101.html

Over $200 more for an american strat with the maple board: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/d/canton-for-sale-or-trade-fender/6897848988.html

JDaveG, SpongeDad and Skeetbird like this

47 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

In the 80's i was obsessed with Kramers and jacksons and BC rich. But now I'm all googly over strats and les pauls. I appreciate what all you guys said about my guitars. They sound good to me and ultimately that's all that matters and I'd be willing to bet yall are better guitarists than me. I played rhythm and only played a solo on two songs. But I just LOVE to play/. I miss being in a group though I will admit it.

JDaveG likes this

Not really about gear. But , do any of you follow guitarists on youtube? I like Steve Stine, Darrel Braun, Yourguitarsage( talks to much sometimes and doesn't get to the point ) a few others. But one dude gets on my nerves so bad and i cant watch him. Marty Schwartz, dude just gets on my nerves. 

JDaveG likes this

17 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

This is a pretty **** good deal on an american strat, though it's a rosewood board and I know you want maple: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/d/marietta-fender-strat-usa/6913758101.html

Over $200 more for an american strat with the maple board: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/d/canton-for-sale-or-trade-fender/6897848988.html

If I wasn't such a tinkerer, I'd get an American Special if I were in the market for a Tele or Strat.  You can get them used in the $600 range, they come with jumbo frets and Texas Special pickups (which are solid in the Strat, and unreal in the Tele -- they're what I have in my American Standard and they are going nowhere).  One of the best deals out there in my opinion.

If you like to tinker, I'd find the cheapest MIM Fender you can get and mod it to your heart's content, which is basically what I did when I got my daughter's red Strat.  I put GFS hardware on it because the Asian tuners were crapped out and the bridge was wonky pot metal garbage.  Maybe $70-80 total for the hardware, though I did have to ream out the tuner holes to get them to fit.  Then I bought a pick guard on eBay for maybe $15.  A set of used Texas Special Strat pickups for $70.  This is the result (the one on the right, with my Eric Johnson Signature on the left):

ZanTcOs.jpg

That's the Vox amp I was talking about earlier behind them.

Also, the stock MIM ceramic pickups are pretty cool.  They are punchy and loud.  Great for blues and rock. I prefer the Alnico 5 Texas Specials, but the stock ones are great pickups.

SpongeDad, falconsd56 and Skeetbird like this

7 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

Not really about gear. But , do any of you follow guitarists on youtube? I like Steve Stine, Darrel Braun, Yourguitarsage( talks to much sometimes and doesn't get to the point ) a few others. But one dude gets on my nerves so bad and i cant watch him. Marty Schwartz, dude just gets on my nerves. 

If you can justify it, True Fire for $20 per month gives you unlimited access to their entire catalog of lessons.  You can get anything from beginner to very, very complex expert level instruction.  Instructors include Robben Ford, David Grissom, Matt Schofield, Alex Skolnick, Oz Noy, etc.  I actually like their normal instructors a lot, with Cory Congilio, David Wallimann, and Jeff McErlain being some of my favorites.  They have literally any genre you want.  Jazz, country, blues, rock, metal, classical.  They have harmonica and bass lessons.  It is a treasure trove.

Skeetbird likes this

I also like Marty Schwartz, though.  His voice and mannerisms are annoying, but he is good at breaking down theory.  Steve Stine is as well.  There is a lot of great stuff for free on Youtube.  What I like about True Fire is they have everything from "50 ______ licks you must know," which you can learn what you want and junk the rest, to full blown lessons that go into theory, CAGED chords/scales, blues approaches, etc.  I like attacking a lesson and working through it.  And I really like that if you slot your skill level properly, they can push you without making you want to quit.  The dude from Stevie Snacks (which I think is now Texas Blues Alley or something) has some lessons on there too.  

Some are better than others.  Some the instructor just starts playing a bunch of stuff and if it's something you aren't familiar with, you can get lost quickly.  I love Robben Ford as a player but I don't think he's a good teacher, as one example.  Andy Aledort has always been the same for me (he's on there too).  He's like "well you can do something like this" and proceeds to blow through a fast lick that you can't really keep up with unless you are already on that level.  But the instructors like Congilio and McErlain are great at giving you the lick, and then breaking it down into "here is how you play it," and then "here is WHY you play it."  I find that a lot easier to work with.  Congilio often gives you licks to play over, say the IV chord, but the lesson tells you why it works for that chord.  The benefit is you can then adapt the approach to whatever you want to do.  If he's bending from the flat 7 up to the root, you can do that anywhere on the neck, not just in that one lick he's teaching you.  I've picked up a ton of stuff like that, and I play differently as a result.

What kind of strings do you guys play with?

I've always used Super Slinkys but I think I'll try something different on the next restring.

12 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

What kind of strings do you guys play with?

I've always used Super Slinkys but I think I'll try something different on the next restring.

Regular Slinkys.  Because of Drake's PRS, I used to use only GSH Boomers, but I prefer the Slinkys now.  

10-46.  Previously 11-50, which by the way is great for building up hand strength.  String a guitar with them and practice for a year or two and the 10s will feel like 8s.

SpongeDad likes this

2 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

I like Marty okay.  Justin Sandercoe makes great guitar lesson videos too.  Jun626 channels Jimmy Page expertly.  This guy plays very good too, and has a guitar collection that will blow you away:

JDaveG likes this

3 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

I was trying to sell a 1982 Yamaha FG-375S II solid spruce top gold pegs, abalone diamond inlays, rosewood fret board and mahogany back, on Craigslist, I had a bunch of hits. but they all ended up being scammers.  Trying to steal it away from me.  Then the legitimate buyers tried to low ball the she-it out of me. 

I've had luck selling other things on Craigslist, but no so much with the musical equipment.