Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achilles return

gear acquisition syndrome thread

404 posts in this topic

so i've grown to dislike my current amp - some version of a hotrod deluxe from the early 2000s - so much so that i've recently been playing through a cheap modeling amp instead. it's too loud for my living situation, i don't like how raspy it is, and i don't like how it sounds even at low volumes.

the choice before me is to look for a quality amp with a lower wattage, or at least with the capability of lowering its output with built-in attenuators or something. do i go boutique? or do skip all of this tone-chasing and embrace our future kemper profiling amp overlords?

Skeetbird likes this

9 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

so i've heard really good things about these modelling amps, and if the thr10c had been in stock when i picked up my current little practice amp i would have gotten this instead.

Just now, achilles return said:

so i've heard really good things about these modelling amps, and if the thr10c had been in stock when i picked up my current little practice amp i would have gotten this instead.

@The Monarch has the THR10X. 

I've gone on a long, and gross amp search. I scored a great deal on a Bassbreaker 15, which I freaking LOVE. Best master volume/low volume preamp voicing I've ever played on a tube amp.  But as to my second amp to compliment it, that's where things get messy.  Sold my boss katana like an idiot.  Got another blues jr. Quickly sold it.  Got a Vox AC10 because everyone raves about them. Hate it, unpleasant, harsh OD.  Trying to sell it to fund a Katana again and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

anyone have thoughts on the marshall origin series?

Haven't heard a single demo of them that I've liked.  The Bassbreaker 15 scratched my marshall itch. I can't recommend it enough.

Just now, mdrake34 said:

Haven't heard a single demo of them that I've liked.  The Bassbreaker 15 scratched my marshall itch. I can't recommend it enough.

yeah i've been eyeing the bassbreaker for a while too. 

32 minutes ago, achilles return said:

anyone have thoughts on the marshall origin series?

What happened at 6:52?   I mean it would a lot more than that chord to do it for me. 

Skeetbird likes this

Once we figure out living situation (we live in phx but I am trying to talk her into moving to Pensacola area where I already own a house)

The first order of buisness is to finally get my American special strat that I have been eye balling for about 3 years.

Every time I play one at guitar center I melt with it

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-a237d113bda9dee

I am also planning on getting a fender 12 string...I had one for a long time and I had to sell it.....I loved playing that thing.

I am open to amp suggestions...I have a little fender mustang amp in my cart and I liked it when I played it at the store....but I am not sure that I loved it.....but for like 130 bucks it seems to be a good value

Skeetbird likes this

10 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Once we figure out living situation (we live in phx but I am trying to talk her into moving to Pensacola area where I already own a house)

The first order of buisness is to finally get my American special strat that I have been eye balling for about 3 years.

I am also planning on getting a fender 12 string...I had one for a long time and I had to sell it.....I loved playing that thing.

I am open to amp suggestions...I have a little fender mustang amp in my cart and I liked it when I played it at the store....but I am not sure that I loved it.....but for like 130 bucks it seems to be a good value

The Boss Katana is the best budget amp out there IMO.  It absolutely blows amps like the Mustangs out of the water.

falconsd56 and Skeetbird like this

16 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

there was some version of the american special series that had this black satin finish - i saw it once in a guitar shop when i was at ga southern some eight or nine years ago - but i've never been able to find since. 

i was really attracted to that guitar.

1 hour ago, SpongeDad said:

It's ******* great.  It's got a great selection of sounds, and I really enjoy playing it through its speakers and through headphones.  Loud enough for me to feel like I'm RAWKING OUT!, but with enough control that I can also RAWK OUT at levels that don't disturb my family, much less the neighborhood.  

SpongeDad likes this

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

The Boss Katana is the best budget amp out there IMO.  It absolutely blows amps like the Mustangs out of the water.

Good to know..i will check it out

Bruh. I’ve got 5 guitars, not counting the 3 I gave my kids. I’ve got 4 amps, not including the one I gave my oldest. I’ve got S-Gear on the computer. I’ve got pedals I haven’t played in years. 

Its a disease. This is real. 

Within the next 2 years I’ll almost certainly have a new Tele and I’ll give my current one to one of my daughters. I’ve been pining for a ‘52 reissue or a Nocaster for about a decade now. 

The **** of it is, I play the Les Paul and Strat almost exclusively. I used the Tele instead of the Strat at our last gig only because we were doing a Black Crowe’s song in open G and I hate trying to tune a trem guitar to open tuning. I would never get rid of my acoustic. But if I had any sense I’d sell the PRS and at least one of those amps. The only reason I keep my Mesa Express is it’s so easy to load in and out at gigs. 

I hardly ever play my favorite amp — an AC30 with UK Blues — because it’s too **** loud. 

I’m a weak man. Pray for me.