Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

Lottery Eve: My Hawks Draft Board (#1-7)

271 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

thanks - appreciate the clarification to me.     So would it be fair to say that JJJ is your favorite prospect right now at #3 overall (assuming Ayton/Doncic gone).

Ehhhhhh. I'd put him and Bagley pretty much neck and neck. 

Depends what you want and when you want it. 

Bagleys gonna give you scoring and work ethic right off the bat. But will he ever be more than that? 

JJJ will give you defense right off the bat with some offense mixed in. 

The upside is my thing. IF Schlenk and Pierce think they can continue to bring JJJ along, then yeah, it's not close in my mind. But that's a huge IF, that often doesn't pan out. I'm not taking Serge Ibaka over Chris Bosh, but I'll take KG or embiid over Bosh 8 days a week. 

g-dawg likes this

34 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Body type looks very similiar to Kevin Garnett.

Image result for jaren jackson jrImage result for kevin garnett

I've seen that comp skill wise a few places as well 

I've also seen people compare bagley to young KG because of their handles and jumping ability(rebounds) 

So :shrug:

If it was my pick I'm taking bagley and just shrugging my shoulders if JJJ becomes great. But I won't be mad if they take jjj. 

16 minutes ago, WOR said:

Ehhhhhh. I'd put him and Bagley pretty much neck and neck. 

Depends what you want and when you want it. 

Bagleys gonna give you scoring and work ethic right off the bat. But will he ever be more than that? 

JJJ will give you defense right off the bat with some offense mixed in. 

The upside is my thing. IF Schlenk and Pierce think they can continue to bring JJJ along, then yeah, it's not close in my mind. But that's a huge IF, that often doesn't pan out. I'm not taking Serge Ibaka over Chris Bosh, but I'll take KG or embiid over Bosh 8 days a week. 

I just think the upside of JJJ is worth the risk.   Agree that Bagley is probably "safer" pick and the scoring is more predictable w/ him - but from all I have read and watched, sounds like Bagley will never be more than a sub-average defender on the other end of the floor and is probably only a #2 scorer on a good team.

With JJJ being a great FT shooter and a good 3-point shooter for a big man, along w/ at least some workable low post moves and ability to finish at the rim - couple that with the defense - just see the likelihood of a better player......obviously I could look incredibly stupid saying that 3 years from now.

I like your analogy above.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I just think the upside of JJJ is worth the risk.   Agree that Bagley is probably "safer" pick and the scoring is more predictable w/ him - but from all I have read and watched, sounds like Bagley will never be more than a sub-average defender on the other end of the floor and is probably only a #2 scorer on a good team.

With JJJ being a great FT shooter and a good 3-point shooter for a big man, along w/ at least some workable low post moves and ability to finish at the rim - couple that with the defense - just see the likelihood of a better player......obviously I could look incredibly stupid saying that 3 years from now.

I like your analogy above.

I don't think you can go wrong with anyone in this top 7. The only players that worry me are young and Porter. But I could be fine with the risk. 

The second scorer is a good point. I don't think either of these guys is going to be the number one guy on a championship team. So that's give you a little more leeway in regards to the risk. They're both good. They both could be key pieces on a championship, but in both cases you're still going to have to find THAT guy.  

So yeah, I go back and forth. And with the Hawks not being in panic mode for a #1 guy, I could easily favor JJJ as well. It'll be perfectly fine if all he ever is is a tremendous defender with a good shot,thats fine. Hawks will have plenty of other chances to add more talent lol. 

g-dawg likes this

5 minutes ago, WOR said:

I don't think you can go wrong with anyone in this top 7. The only players that worry me are young and Porter. But I could be fine with the risk. 

The second scorer is a good point. I don't think either of these guys is going to be the number one guy on a championship team. So that's give you a little more leeway in regards to the risk. They're both good. They both could be key pieces on a championship, but in both cases you're still going to have to find THAT guy.  

So yeah, I go back and forth. And with the Hawks not being in panic mode for a #1 guy, I could easily favor JJJ as well. It'll be perfectly fine if all he ever is is a tremendous defender with a good shot,thats fine. Hawks will have plenty of other chances to add more talent lol. 

This will be my Wild Azz guess:   after a few years in the league,   JJJ becomes a 15ppg, 10rpg, 2bpg, 2apg - that type of production would be worthy of the #3 pick - assuming we don't skip over any superstars behind the #3 pick - of course it is likely that someone behind us will turn into a huge star.

I don't want to say this pick doesn't matter, but as long as the guy doesn't bust out..... This pick doesn't matter lol. 

The only picks I'll REALLY be worried about will be when we find some wings. You HAVE to have wings. You can't win a title with meh wings. 

You can easily win a title with "meh" bigs. So marvin and JJJ could turn out to be "Okay" and it really won't change anything. And bigs cant win **** without good wings in today's NBA. Dwight was the only dude who came close in like decades....aldridge, Bosh, KAT, Davis, KG, horford, love, etc etc etc. The list goes on forever. No matter how good your big is, if they don't have great guards, your team is either gonna suck, or be a quick out in the playoffs. 

This is the only reason I'd be okay with young. Perimeter players are all that matters in today's NBA. Tell me I'm wrong lol. 

Draft BPA.

At #3, I'm leaning towards an offensive player. So Bagley.

With Pierce as a defense 1st coach I would trust that he can at least make Bagley's defense passable.  

One of the knocks on our own John Collins was his putrid defense coming out of college. He was a fouling machine early in his NBA career, he got better as the season went along, so there's hope for Bagley.

WOR and blkbigdog35 like this

7 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Couldn’t agree more about BPA.  :tiphat:

This is my plan for draft and offseason...

1. Draft Bagley at #3.

2. Trade with Denver for pick #14 and Faried(1yr/$13 mil) for pick #30 (Denver is in a cap crunch to pay Jokic).

3. Combine #14 and #19 to move up and take Mikal Bridges.

4. Pick #34 - BPA

5. Resign Dedmon if he wants to be back, if not look to free agent Nerlens Noel, I'd be Ok signing him to a short term deal 2yrs/$8 mil per. He's still only 24 years old. He'll be the rim protection for Bagley and Collins.

1 minute ago, jayu70 said:

1. Draft Bagley at #3.

2. Trade with Denver for pick #14 and Faried(1yr/$13 mil) for pick #30 (Denver is in a cap crunch to pay Jokic).

4. Pick #34 - BPA

5. Resign Dedmon if he wants to be back, if not look to free agent Nerlens Noel, I'd be Ok signing him to a short term deal 2yrs/$8 mil per. He's still only 24 years old. He'll be the rim protection for Bagley and Collins.

I think Bagley is going to be the pick at #3.  That's definitely a good plan and landing Bridges would be nice addition especially with his defensive skill set.  You know I have been saying we should bring dedmon back but I wonder if Noel would be looking for a long term deal though.

11 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I think Bagley is going to be the pick at #3.  That's definitely a good plan and landing Bridges would be nice addition especially with his defensive skill set.  You know I have been saying we should bring dedmon back but I wonder if Noel would be looking for a long term deal though.

Noel will be looking but I don't think he'll get one. Too many question marks and more important too few teams with capspace.

3 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Check out this article if you haven't already on Noel and 4 potential landing spots which includes the Hawks.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/05/24/nerlens-noel-dallas-mavericks-free-agency/

Man, I'm offering too much money. if we can get him for 2yrs for a total of $7 mil, I'd even offer him a 3 year total $12 million deal, team option in year 3. 

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 minute ago, jayu70 said:

Man, I'm offering too much money. if we can get him for 2yrs for a total of $7 mil, I'd even offer him a 3 year total $12 million deal, team option in year 3. 

You were close though but out of the other three teams the Hawks have the better cap situation.

37 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

1. Draft Bagley at #3.

4. Pick #34 - BPA

I'm not at all disagreeing but what makes you want mikal? 

1 minute ago, WOR said:

I'm not at all disagreeing but what makes you want mikal? 

To replace Bazemore.

3 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

To replace Bazemore.

Well yes, but I mean past that lol. 

That's a lot to "give up" to replace Bazemore. 

I like bridges. I just see him having an Otto Porter like impact. He won't be bad by any means, but I'm not sure the upside is there, and he's older. 

I really wanted Zhaire Smith for that Bazemore role, which I still do, but he measured in kinda small so he might be a strictly 2guard.

6 minutes ago, WOR said:

Well yes, but I mean past that lol. 

That's a lot to "give up" to replace Bazemore. 

I like bridges. I just see him having an Otto Porter like impact. He won't be bad by any means, but I'm not sure the upside is there, and he's older. 

I really wanted Zhaire Smith for that Bazemore role, which I still do, but he measured in kinda small so he might be a strictly 2guard.

I like his defense and his 7'-2" wing span and if Bagley will be the offensive juggernaut, I think it's a good balance.

Getting into the top 10 will be pricey. 

3andD players are a plus in the NBA. Next to Prince that's a deadly combo. I like what I've read regarding his offensive versatility. I see him in the Khris Middleton mold but better long term.

I do agree that he's on the older side but they can't all be the same. 

57 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I like his defense and his 7'-2" wing span and if Bagley will be the offensive juggernaut, I think it's a good balance.

Getting into the top 10 will be pricey. 

3andD players are a plus in the NBA. Next to Prince that's a deadly combo. I like what I've read regarding his offensive versatility. I see him in the Khris Middleton mold but better long term.

I do agree that he's on the older side but they can't all be the same. 

I certainly have no issues with him. I just feel like he's the "last piece" kinda guy. The one you grab right before you jump in the playoffs. Not the guy you start your rebuild with. 

I'm just not sure his upside is worth the cost. 

Don't get me wrong. Every team can use an Otto Porter. 15 points and good wing defense will get you a long way in this league. I wouldn't be upset. 

But if I'm mortgaging assets to trade up, I'm going after young(who I'm not overly big on), but I'm taking the chance. The fact young can't, and probably will never, play defense bothers me. Steph may not be a great defender but he's a lot bigger than people think. 

27 minutes ago, WOR said:

I certainly have no issues with him. I just feel like he's the "last piece" kinda guy. The one you grab right before you jump in the playoffs. Not the guy you start your rebuild with. 

I'm just not sure his upside is worth the cost. 

Don't get me wrong. Every team can use an Otto Porter. 15 points and good wing defense will get you a long way in this league. I wouldn't be upset. 

But if I'm mortgaging assets to trade up, I'm going after young(who I'm not overly big on), but I'm taking the chance. The fact young can't, and probably will never, play defense bothers me. Steph may not be a great defender but he's a lot bigger than people think. 

I wasn't interested in Young before and after the combine measurements even less so. He's tiny. Doesn't play defense and can't play off guard unlike Curry.