Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

Lottery Eve: My Hawks Draft Board (#1-7)

246 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

If the Hawks believe that Porter is indeed the potential elite scorer that he has been thought to be, should the Hawks take him at 3 over someone like Bagley?

Do y'all think Porter is a franchise changing superstar that the Hawks desperately need?

If he's really 100% healthy, then yeah he's the best player in this draft. He's KD 2.0. Heck he could probably play the 2, he'd just be the tallest guard ever lol.

Edited by JerseyNo12

36 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

If he's really 100% healthy, then yeah he's the best player in this draft. He's KD 2.0. Heck he could probably play the 2, he'd just be the tallest guard ever lol.

I've never seen Porter play before he got injured.

Is he really comparable to KD? The same was said about Brandon Ingram when he came into the NBA.

Is Porter that dynamic of an offensive/scoring talent?

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I've never seen Porter play before he got injured.

Is he really comparable to KD? The same was said about Brandon Ingram when he came into the NBA.

Yeah. He can score at every level. Inside and out. 6'10" 220 lbs but moves quick and fluidly and has really good ball handling skills. Excellent shot blocker and has the physical tools to guard smaller players.

He's the total package if he's healthy.

35 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Yeah. He can score at every level. Inside and out. 6'10" 220 lbs but moves quick and fluidly and has really good ball handling skills. Excellent shot blocker and has the physical tools to guard smaller players.

He's the total package if he's healthy.

Thanks for posting Jersey definitely similar skill set to KD. I'm sure teams are going to thoroughly check him out before he's drafted.

JerseyNo12 likes this

There's too much talent in this draft to settle on a guy with a bad back. 

If this was a draft where Otto Porter was going top 5? Certainly. Take the risk on Porter. 

Embiid was taken ahead of Gordon, Exum, and Smart. There was a cleaaarrerr drop off in talent there. 

But this draft? If we're talking about everything working out properly(for Porter) sure you might miss on a KD 2.0, but you're getting Chris Bosh or Kevin Garnett. 

12 hours ago, WOR said:

If this was a draft where Otto Porter was going top 5? Certainly. Take the risk on Porter. 

Embiid was taken ahead of Gordon, Exum, and Smart. There was a cleaaarrerr drop off in talent there. 

But this draft? If we're talking about everything working out properly(for Porter) sure you might miss on a KD 2.0, but you're getting Chris Bosh or Kevin Garnett. 

Does Porter have a history of back problems? Or is this just a onetime thing?

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Does Porter have a history of back problems? Or is this just a onetime thing?

There's not really such a thing as a one time back issue 

That's my problem 

g-dawg likes this

6 minutes ago, WOR said:

There's not really such a thing as a one time back issue 

That's my problem 

I get what you are saying.

I meant did he have any previous issues with his back before this one?

On 5/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, JerseyNo12 said:

A lot of talent in this draft. 

I wonder what the FO's draft board looks like and where they ranked each player and on what basis. Personally, I believe skill and IQ are the biggest predictors of NBA success more so than pure numbers and athleticism. It isn't just how many points did he score or how many rebounds did he grab, but how did he get them. What was his impact when on the court?

John Collins was the most efficient scorer in the NCAA his last year before getting drafted. Not exactly a high volume scorer, but when he got his opportunities he made the most of them with skill and athleticism. That translated into the NBA. 

Based on that, I think the top two players are still Ayton and Doncic. From there the waters get a little muddy. 

add motivation and motor to your traits to evaluate too

18 hours ago, WOR said:

Just the thought of Bagley possibly being the next Kevin Garnett would make me the most exited as I have been in years as a Hawks fan if he were drafted.

Garnett was one of my favorite players during his era. Loved his intensity and how it rubbed people the wrong way.

Does Bagley bring anywhere close to the type of intensity that Garnett had?

22 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Just the thought of Bagley possibly being the next Kevin Garnett would make me the most exited as I have been in years as a Hawks fan if he were drafted.

Garnett was one of my favorite players during his era. Loved his intensity and how it rubbed people the wrong way.

Does Bagley bring anywhere close to the type of intensity that Garnett had?

He's not an ******* lol, but hes probably the most focused and dedicated guy in the draft. 

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

7 minutes ago, WOR said:

He's not an ******* lol, but hes probably the most focused and dedicated guy in the draft. 

Sounds great lol

I've seen a poster over there on Hawksquawk talk about the possibility of Bagley and Collins not meshing together and could get in each others way.

Do you think that's a problem if the Hawks go Bagley?

On 5/19/2018 at 6:03 PM, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Sounds great lol

I've seen a poster over there on Hawksquawk talk about the possibility of Bagley and Collins not meshing together and could get in each others way.

Nope...They look to be a dynamic dual and if both improve their skill levels, they would be a match up nightmare for other team because of their athleticism and speed.  They both already have high BBIQ's in that they both rarely force shots

Edited by peoriabird
WOR and DawnOfThemBirds like this

42 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Sounds great lol

7 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Nope...They look to be a dynamic dual and if both improve their skill levels, they would be a match night mare for other team because of their athleticism and speed.  They both already have high BBIQ's in that they both rarely force shots

I think it could "possibly" be an issue defensively. But theyre both athletic and Collins has really picked up his PnR defense, which bagley sucks at, so I don't think they're as "can't play together" as people think. 

But it's nothing like "oh they can't play together and will hurt each others development" 

They'll be fine. Our defense might suck for a little while, but we don't want to be good anyway lol

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The biggest question is Doncic coming overseas next season.

We will know soon.

I expect him to come over. I think he's going to be very selective with his interviews to try to control his situation, though.

1 hour ago, WOR said:

I think it could "possibly" be an issue defensively. But theyre both athletic and Collins has really picked up his PnR defense, which bagley sucks at, so I don't think they're as "can't play together" as people think. 

But it's nothing like "oh they can't play together and will hurt each others development" 

They'll be fine. Our defense might suck for a little while, but we don't want to be good anyway lol

But what position do you play Bagley at? He's smaller than Collins. He can't stay at his current listed weight of 220 lbs give or take if he's gonna be an effective front court player in the NBA. 

29 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

But what position do you play Bagley at? He's smaller than Collins. He can't stay at his current listed weight of 220 lbs give or take if he's gonna be an effective front court player in the NBA. 

I'd say Collins at 5 and Bagley at 4. You're gonna get screwed by bangers but luckily there aren't many lol.