Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

Lottery Eve: My Hawks Draft Board (#1-7)

271 posts in this topic

thought it would be fun to start a thread on this.   This thread is on "Lottery Eve" - hopefully after tonight the board won't need to go past #3 or #4...Here is mine.

MY HAWKS Draftboard

#1)  DeAndre Ayton, C - Arizona 7'0" - maybe not the best defensive rim runner but just too offensively skilled a big man to not select #1 overall.

Image result for deandre ayton

#2) Marvin Bagley, III  PF - Duke 6'10" -  very high upside but needs to work on his jump shot.

Image result for marvin bagley

#3) Luka Doncic, SG - Int'l - 6'6" - very complete player, can play the 1, 2, 3 and is good w/ the ball in his hands - not a great athlete

Image result for luka doncic

#4)  Jarren Jackson, Jr., PF/C - 6'10"  - maybe the best two-way offensive/defensive player in the lottery.

Image result for jaren jackson jr

#5) Trae Young, PG - Oklahoma - 6'2" - will be a liability on the defensive side due to size but has all-star level skill offensively

Image result for trae young

#6) Mohammed Bamba, C - Texas - 7'0" - instant defense and rim protector, has some upside offensively but will need to be developed.

Related image

#7) Michael Porter, SF - Missouri - 6'9" - boom or bust pick - coming off injury - most thought a year ago he could be the #1 pick.

Image result for michael porter missouri

kind of like the idea of getting a BIG  (Ayton, Bagley, Jackson or Bamba) with our lottery pick and then drafting all guards with the remaining picks.

Drew4719 and JerseyNo12 like this

Bamba is underrated IMO. Not on your list. Just by the general public. 

Someone described him(I can't remember where) as Gobert that can shoot 3s.

g-dawg likes this

Like your ranking but I'm not sold on Luka Doncic.  It's probably because I haven't seen him play but he's also not working out for any teams.  If we can't get Ayton then Young would be my pick.  

therawest likes this

I'm not sure how much I care about Doncics athleticism. 

There are quite a few guys that aren't overly athletic. Harden, curry, klay, Hayward, love, Middleton, McCollum, I could go on lol. 

g-dawg, JerseyNo12, jayu70 and 1 other like this

Young has way too much bust factor for me unless we're picking after 6.

I don't wanna end up with a better passing Brandon Jennings. 

4 minutes ago, WOR said:

Young has way too much bust factor for me unless we're picking after 6.

I don't wanna end up with a better passing Brandon Jennings. 

Yeah I can see Young potentially being a bust but he has some great upside if coached up.  

NBA draft lottery: Likely picks, odds and stakes for every team

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23460258/2018-nba-draft-lottery-guide-odds-likely-picks-more-every-team

Atlanta Hawks | Likely spot: No. 4

No. 1 pick odds: 13.7 percent | Top-3 pick odds: 42.6 percent

If they land in the top three, they should pick ...

• No. 1: Deandre Ayton

• No. 2: Luka Doncic

• No. 3: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Most likely pick: Marvin Bagley III | PF/C | Duke

The Hawks parting ways with Mike Budenholzer is another sign that their rebuilding process is still at an early stage, indicating that existing pieces and roster needs won't be as much of a consideration as it might be elsewhere in the lottery.

The big-man trio of Jackson, Bagley and Bamba look like safe bets for heavy consideration depending on where this pick falls, but Trae Young can't be ruled out either. -- Givony

Drew4719 and g-dawg like this

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Yeah I can see Young potentially being a bust but he has some great upside if coached up.  

I like that Sexton has skills to fall back on. At least hes got defense and I see his floor around Jrue Holiday. 

I honestly think Sextons ceiling is a bit higher than Youngs. Sure young has curry traits, but he's *not* curry lol. 

Sexton however..... And it's not something I ever hear really talked about, is Russell Westbrook reincarnated athletically. Same height. Same wingspan. Same tenacity. Same attitude. Same skill set. The only difference is I'm not sure sexton is as much in that 99.9 percentile athletically as russ is. 

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

14 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

NBA draft lottery: Likely picks, odds and stakes for every team

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23460258/2018-nba-draft-lottery-guide-odds-likely-picks-more-every-team

Atlanta Hawks | Likely spot: No. 4

No. 1 pick odds: 13.7 percent | Top-3 pick odds: 42.6 percent

If they land in the top three, they should pick ...

• No. 1: Deandre Ayton

• No. 2: Luka Doncic

• No. 3: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Most likely pick: Marvin Bagley III | PF/C | Duke

The Hawks parting ways with Mike Budenholzer is another sign that their rebuilding process is still at an early stage, indicating that existing pieces and roster needs won't be as much of a consideration as it might be elsewhere in the lottery.

The big-man trio of Jackson, Bagley and Bamba look like safe bets for heavy consideration depending on where this pick falls, but Trae Young can't be ruled out either. -- Givony

Those 3 big men are tricky. Bagley is clearly the most talented, but he's not a defender and doesnt project to ever be much of one. 

Bamba is an elite defender and already has somewhat of a shot. Again Gobert+3.

Jackson is somewhere in the middle of that. He feels very "Horford" esque to me in that way. He's not really elite at anything, but he's good at everything. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him, but he's not overly exciting. 

I do wonder how Pierce weighs things out since he seems so **** bent on defense. Collins is an interesting angle. Would a Bosh/Amare type pairing work well? Would Gobert/Amare be better(not talent wise but fit wise?). 

Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

44 minutes ago, WOR said:

Bamba is underrated IMO. Not on your list. Just by the general public. 

Someone described him(I can't remember where) as Gobert that can shoot 3s.

I should have had Bamba ahead of Michael Porter.

19 minutes ago, WOR said:

I like that Sexton has skills to fall back on. At least hes got defense and I see his floor around Jrue Holiday. 

I honestly think Sextons ceiling is a bit higher than Youngs. Sure young has curry traits, but he's *not* curry lol. 

Sexton however..... And it's not something I ever hear really talked about, is Russell Westbrook reincarnated athletically. Same height. Same wingspan. Same tenacity. Same attitude. Same skill set. The only difference is I'm not sure sexton is as much in that 99.9 percentile athletically as russ is. 

Sexton's game does model Russell. Wouldn't be mad at all if was our pick.

16 minutes ago, WOR said:

Those 3 big men are tricky. Bagley is clearly the most talented, but he's not a defender and doesnt project to ever be much of one. 

Bamba is an elite defender and already has somewhat of a shot. Again Gobert+3.

Jackson is somewhere in the middle of that. He feels very "Horford" esque to me in that way. He's not really elite at anything, but he's good at everything. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him, but he's not overly exciting. 

I do wonder how Pierce weighs things out since he seems so **** bent on defense. Collins is an interesting angle. Would a Bosh/Amare type pairing work well? Would Gobert/Amare be better(not talent wise but fit wise?). 

Great point and that's what is so interesting because you wonder what he's going to value more out of these picks. Bamba is nasty defensively and pairing him with Collins would be interesting.

Wendell Carter is another guy that almost nobody is talking about. 

I mean, for good reason, hes not very exciting. 

BUT. He is essentially an Al Horford clone. Which, if you're not paying them 30 mill, isn't the worst player to have around. 

Can pass, shoot, developing jump hook, defend enough, decent rebounder but not excellent, not a pogo stick like Bagley, just a solid borderline All star just like Al.

Granted I pray were in no position to select him cause he's like 7th or later, but hed be a pretty decent player. 

Edit: I should point out he's a concensus top 8 pick, but nobody seems to care about him nationally lol. 

1 minute ago, WOR said:

Wendell Carter is another guy that almost nobody is talking about. 

I mean, for good reason, hes not very exciting. 

BUT. He is essentially an Al Horford clone. Which, if you're not paying them 30 mill, isn't the worst player to have around. 

Can pass, shoot, developing jump hook, defend enough, decent rebounder but not excellent, not a pogo stick like Bagley, just a solid borderline All star just like Al.

Granted I pray were in no position to select him cause he's like 7th or later, but hed be a pretty decent player. 

:golfclap:

My favorite part of the NBA is the ability to just trade whatever the F you want to on draft night and trading guys you've drafted for other guys. 

If we don't get a top 2 pick, I'm really starting to lean towards getting 2 of the 7-10 range guys via some kind of trade of our first pick, 19, and Dennis(or a pick we get for him). 

I'd rather have a combo of Young/Sexton/Carter/Bamba/Bridges/SGA/Knox/Porter over like Jackson, Dennis, and a rando at 19.

Edit:, clippers have 12 and 13. Give us one for Dennis and 30 and we're good lol. 

1 minute ago, WOR said:

My favorite part of the NBA is the ability to just trade whatever the F you want to on draft night and trading guys you've drafted for other guys. 

If we don't get a top 2 pick, I'm really starting to lean towards getting 2 of the 7-10 range guys via some kind of trade of our first pick, 19, and Dennis(or a pick we get for him). 

I'd rather have a combo of Young/Sexton/Carter/Bamba/Bridges/SGA/Knox/Porter over like Jackson, Dennis, and a rando at 19.

If we end up with pick #5 or #6,

would you just take Bamba and then maybe someone like Vichenzo at #19 and just draft two more guards?

Wouldn’t hate that strategy.  If you take three guards odds are at least one pans out.