EuroFalcon

Why the slide: Isaiah Oliver

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Walterfootball does an annual series about why certain players go undrafted or why they slid in the draft. This year I contact Charlie Campbell per e-mail asking him why Oliver was still there for our second round pick. He responded with:

"I'm digging into Isaiah Oliver's slide. I agree with you that it didn't make sense. He's very talented and I think he was a massive steal for Atlanta. If I can get some good team info on why that happened I will write that up."

Today it seems his digging paid off and he published an article on it: http://walterfootball.com/ws2018ioliver.php

I thought some of you might be interested in the various reasons why some teams passed on Oliver.

Edited by EuroFalcon

Posted (edited)

Nice work to get this information.

So Oliver fell because of a lack of perceived scheme diversity and questions about his commitment to football - Seems like if you have any other interest outside of football teams freak out lol. 

There still isnt much there to warrent the drop imo. Still shocked he fell to us. I would have been more than ok with taking him in the 1st. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

7 minutes ago, EuroFalcon said:

Walterfootball does an annual series about why certain players go undrafted or why they slid in the draft. This year I contact Charlie Campbell per e-mail asking him why Oliver was still there for our second round pick. He responded with:

"I'm digging into Isaiah Oliver's slide. I agree with you that it didn't make sense. He's very talented and I think he was a massive steal for Atlanta. If I can get some good team info on why that happened I will write that up."

Today it seems his digging paid off and he published an article on it: http://walterfootball.com/ws2018ioliver.php

I thought some of you might be interested in the various reasons why some teams passed on Oliver.

I wouldn't call a borderline 1st rounder who goes in round 2 exactly a "slide", but nonetheless, it was an interesting read. Good job on spurring that one on. 

Oliver is my fav pick of this draft, and came to the perfect team for his skill set. Those teams who  passed on him will regret it. 

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I wouldn't call a borderline 1st rounder who goes in round 2 exactly a "slide", but nonetheless, it was an interesting read. Good job on spurring that one on. 

Oliver is my fav pick of this draft, and came to the perfect team for his skill set. Those teams who  passed on him will regret it. 

I agree. I also pointed that out in my e-mail to Charlie but I was still curious about why he was still available for us. He has some very rare physical traits that you just don't find often, his tape looks pretty good and there weren't any bad rumours about his off the field behaviour.

Vandy likes this

13 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

So Oliver fell because of a lack of perceived scheme diversity and questions about his commitment to football - Seems like if you have any other interest outside of football teams freak out lol. 

There still isnt much there to warrent the drop imo. Still shocked he fell to us. I would have been more than ok with taking him in the 1st. 

Yeah, I found that suprising as well. Especially because it was track. If it was partying or using substances sure. I even get if it was baseball or basketball or some other premier sport where a career might rival an NFL career in earnings/fame. But track? Seems it should have been a positive instead of a negative too me.

At CU there was some chatter about his dedication because he refused to play hurt. Some people took it as him just protecting his draft stock, some were offended that he didn't buck up and play with what seemed like a minor injury. Just something to think about when it comes to evaluating his toughness. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

6 minutes ago, tywreezy33 said:

At CU there was some chatter about his dedication because he refused to play hurt. Some people took it as him just protecting his draft stock, some were offended that he didn't buck up and play with what seemed like a minor injury. Just something to think about when it comes to evaluating his toughness. 

Situations like that is a double-edge sword. Especially as a college player.

red falcon likes this

37 minutes ago, EuroFalcon said:

I agree. I also pointed that out in my e-mail to Charlie but I was still curious about why he was still available for us. He has some very rare physical traits that you just don't find often, his tape looks pretty good and there weren't any bad rumours about his off the field behaviour.

Kudos for getting all of that out of him, Euro. It was an interesting read. 

And I agree, he has all the traits football folks like Quinn look for in a corner.

EuroFalcon and red falcon like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Kudos for getting all of that out of him, Euro. It was an interesting read. 

And I agree, he has all the traits football folks like Quinn look for in a corner.

Thanks! The real kudo's go to Charlie though, he's the one that did all the actual work.

Vandy and VTCrunkler like this

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

Mike Evans can’t rape Tru and Alford anymore. 

See at 1:15. Evans holds both of Alfords arms down before catching a TD

https://youtu.be/LVGsO494vLg

That’s exactly what Oliver knows how to do and why I’m excited to have him. He plays like Sherman. He know how to hold receivers arms down by wrapping the one closest to him so they only have one arm to try and make a catch. He doesn’t grab which draws a penalty. He wraps which does not usually and why ppl hate Sherman so much. 

He was only featured on one side in college and didn't play many (if any) snaps in the slot. Might be because he doesn't have much scheme diversity.

Oliver stood out every time I watched his “tape”.  He’s always around the ball and in the way, but with great control and balance.  

5 hours ago, tywreezy33 said:

I don't think that ever got out of the Falcons' minds when Grimes pulled that in the playoff game against the Giants.

Don't think it'll be an issue with Oliver.

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

That’s exactly what Oliver knows how to do and why I’m excited to have him. He plays like Sherman. He know how to hold receivers arms down by wrapping the one closest to him so they only have one arm to try and make a catch. He doesn’t grab which draws a penalty. He wraps which does not usually and why ppl hate Sherman so much. 

I hate Sherman because he's incredibly intelligent, knowing how to use the refs and the rules to his advantage while not being a Falcon.  Clearly he should be flagged every play.....now someone bring that physicality and intellect to the Falcons!

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Mike Evans can’t rape Tru and Alford anymore. 

See at 1:15. Evans holds both of Alfords arms down before catching a TD

https://youtu.be/LVGsO494vLg

You know what roasts my nuggets the most about this play?  Is ***** Collinsworth not saying a freaking thing about the overwhelmingly obvious OPI and instead just lauding euphorically over Evans.

It couldn't be more obvious that he has something against the Falcons.  Every time he calls one of our games he just can't help but slant as much commentary against us as possible.

We were winning by 16 against GB with only like 50 seconds to go in this one game, and Collinsworth is like, "This game isn't over.  I can certainly see Rodgers getting a quick score here, then all they need is an onside kick."

I got tired of it and just starting syncing up Wes and Arch on the radio with my TV.  It's 1000x better.

Edited by Beef
VTCrunkler and HASHBROWN3 like this

29 minutes ago, Beef said:

You know what roasts my nuggets the most about this play?  Is ***** Collinsworth not saying a freaking thing about the overwhelmingly obvious OPI and instead just lauding euphorically over Evans.

It couldn't be more obvious that he has something against the Falcons.  Every time he calls one of our games he just can't help but slant as much commentary against us as possible.

We were winning by 16 against GB with only like 50 seconds to go in this one game, and Collinsworth is like, "This game isn't over.  I can certainly see Rodgers getting a quick score here, then all they need is an onside kick."

I got tired of it and just starting syncing up Wes and Arch on the radio with my TV.  It's 1000x better.

Collinsworth is the worst. Anyone but him. He is clearly biased cant believe the nfl hasnt said anything,to him.

VTCrunkler, Beef and HASHBROWN3 like this

7 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

yeah it used to be rare to find a cb that can play on an island with sustained success. Now they are concerned about zone and off man? that's awesome bc he is strong at Trufant's weakness, and was much better value in this draft than Collins was in his.

vitaman likes this

9 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

my hate level is up for evans,,,maybe behind brady and Rodgers and breeze.  

he got smashed by Keanu...waiting for more of that...

don't forget Newton

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

don't forget Newton

he doesn't do so hotra against us though...but I get the hate...he does the signals when he gets a first down..

Edited by VTCrunkler

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Dude, I concur 100% and tbh, I find it nearly unbearable watching that man call a falcons game.  I actually wrote them a letter about it after witnessing his jaded nonsense.  I think I put it out of my mind because I can’t even remember which game it was now.  

Tim Mazetti, Crazy Trav and Beef like this