schwarzenegger321

Gambling is now legal in all 50 states

54 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

Another point (and thanks for the thoughtful and reasoned discussion, btw):

I'd wager that many of the athletes who are given full rides would struggle to even be accepted by the more prestigious schools. Sure, they must have the grades/scores to be accepted, but that's a lower bar than many non-athletes must clear to be accepted. 

So, in that sense, they are being compensated above and beyond the level that students on academic scholarships are compensated (both get the value of the scholarship, but the athletes also get the benefit of being accepted to the school that would likely reject them, were it not for sports). 

OK. I don't think the athlete you're talking about really cares what the reputation of the school is academically.  You can get a decent education just about anywhere even though it may not be from a prestigious school.  But for some, the school is the means to exposure to the NFL.  In that case, it's more like the athlete would reject the school if it were not high-profile sportswise.  I have to be careful here, because I' m only talking about the athlete who would not go to college if he had the option of a developmental league/farm system. He's there because that's where the NFL scouts focus their attention; he's there because he has a chance to get lots of media exposure which ups his chances.  He is not there because they offer a math class in topography, or 3 Nobel prize winners attended. Again. I am NOT talking about the student-athlete, but the athlete who has no desire to become a student. So no, I don't think that compensates him adequately, because he's not interested in that. And the NFL--which is his goal--doesn't care.

My point is that college is no longer about getting a classical education, it is a steppingstone to a career. So while you may look at the school and evaluate it based on your reasons or needs, someone else may evaluate it using totally different criteria. And, in this case it's not a one-way street:  you feel the athlete may be favored, but the school's bank account is reaping the rewards.

Anyway, I have been trying to think of a system that would work for the athletes, the universities, and an end-goal like the NFL, but with little success.

I can rough out a way that the players and the NFL could be satisfied (but with drawbacks), but it's hard for me to come up with a system where the colleges would be all that happy if they were forced to restrict their student-athlete pool.

I agree the answer might be a developmental league system, but even then I feel like there should be some form of education; basic English, math/ business and PR courses.  I think the NFL (or individual teams if the farm system) could underwrite that cost. The difference between these courses and college would be that the player is an athlete first, and the courses are to help him succeed in his career.  There would not be the added pressure of entrance exams and extraneous required courses which would be another plus from their perspective.

The danger here is that 18- or 19-year-olds very seldom really know what's good for them.; and many don't understand the value of exposure to new ideas and interacting with all kinds of people that would be found in college.  I mean I know farm systems work fine in baseball, etc, and certainly nobody is stopping the players from exposing themselves to diversity in cultures and ideas; but I think college encourages it. The student might start school and find that they are fascinated by computer science, or photography, or who knows? But something they would not have gotten through the developmental path. 

So this is the only place I can think of where the universities can help, and at the same time, benefit from the developmental path: by acting as a resource
Since there would have to be space acquired and teachers found and curriculum set anyway, these courses could take place on local college campuses, not as part of the college curriculum but more like continuing education courses. Not perfect, but the college exposure is there at least.

That's all supposition.

But in the real world where we don't have the developmental league/farm system, what's the decision to be for the colleges? It seems like they have two options so far

To be content to only have student-athletes that they don't have to have separate admissions requirements for;  while a lot of the real talent bypasses them. How long would they have the big money rolling in?

Or

pay these kids that bring in millions of dollars into the schools.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I realize that it is a complicated question and I sure don't have the answers.

Falcon Ben likes this

On 5/16/2018 at 11:34 PM, rounz said:

pay these kids that bring in millions of dollars into the schools.

yes.  yes

On 5/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, SpongeDad said:

This needs to be hanging on the wall in this thread

hundepokern1.jpg

My mom actually has a blanket with this on it. Blanket is decades old and falling apart now because it's so old.

SpongeDad likes this