Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VTCrunkler

DeAngelo Hall retires after 14 NFL seasons

106 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

DeAngelo was a good player that I THOUGHT would be great - he still thinks he is and was great.

I will say this for him - dude knew how to get paid - got HUGE contracts from both the Raiders and Redskins after Falcons traded him.

Playing 14 seasons is a n accomplishment. 

Geneaut likes this

49 minutes ago, k-train said:

When we drafted him was around when I first started paying much attention to the draft before it happened. He was the guy I wanted the Falcons to take & when they did, I couldn't believe it. I was so psyched & he instantly became my favorite player on the team.

Unfortunately, that excitement started to fizzle away pretty quickly the longer he was here. I remember being on tour with my band when I was when I was told that he had been traded to Oakland. I was kinda pizzed off at first because I thought/hoped that with decent coaching & some time to mature, he'd set his ego aside a bit & use the physical tools he had to become a truly special CB. I think deep down I knew that wasn't likely because he is who he is, and I was more upset due to sentimental attachment.

Ultimately, I knew it was probably the right move & as soon as I saw him getting abused regularly in Oakland & Washington, I knew it was undoubtably the correct move.

Imagine if Vick ever practiced or studied film with any reasonable gusto. 

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

When he came in though I had high hopes,young energetic, coaching lineage. Had the offense rolling a few games and an NFC Championship game appearance. But that team could have been so much more.... Crunkler **** would love to have him on the 2018 team.

YES. Heck yes. 

50 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Any bad stories about him

Surprise surprise. He was considered a talented selfish me first player who would sometime go off script and take gambles on the field. It actually worked out for him because he's one of the most talented dbs we've had. And also in the return game. Because he would pick six so much that would get to his head. And fueled his arrogance. 

There is a little story called the 2003 insight.com bowl. Where we faced Aaron F img Rodgers. I developed a healthy hatred for him since then. And it was a barnburner. I was back in atl at a bar cussing every time meangelo got burned. 

Flying Falcon likes this

5 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Anyone remember Smitty going after him on the sideline LOL?

Lol Hall was playing the victim afterwards crying saying Mike Smith told him he'd kick his *** 

Tony Diesel likes this

58 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Any bad stories about him

No actuall dirt on him like some of our other players had. I was gone when he was there so our paths never crossed. I do have a few Vick stories. 

Flying Falcon likes this

12 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Imagine if Vick ever practiced or studied film with any reasonable gusto. 

Yeah man... so many incredibly promising players out of VT in that era, but they all just couldn't seem to get out of their own way in some manner or another.

VTCrunkler likes this

20 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah man... so many incredibly promising players out of VT in that era, but they all just couldn't seem to get out of their own way in some manner or another.

Yes. It was a fun time. The MB was abuzz back then. 

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Remember Jimmy Williams?

k-train likes this

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

Remember Jimmy Williams?

He was cam chancellor before Cam played. And not as good as a pro as kam.  But I think Williams was an all American as a collegiate. He later the lumber but not good in coverage. He was playing g out of position. He should've been a safety. 

I was always a fan.  Liked his "fire" and the ability he brought.  Temper got the best of him at times, but I've seen worse.  No he wasn't Prime Time like he thought he was, but I wouldn't expect any less from someone doing one of the 64 jobs better than say 6 billion other people.

Geneaut likes this

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

He was cam chancellor before Cam played. And not as good as a pro as kam.  But I think Williams was an all American as a collegiate. He later the lumber but not good in coverage. He was playing g out of position. He should've been a safety. 

Jimmy played free safety his 2nd year when Petrino came. You forgot? He actually looked pretty promising there at times, then Mike Smith came the next season and he showed up to camp 230 pounds and outta shape. Cut instantly lol

VTCrunkler and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

He was a talented knucklehead. Jalen Collins 2.0 but with even more baggage. 

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

He was a talented knucklehead. Jalen Collins 2.0 but with even more baggage. 

The end of an error.   Uhhh..era..................B)

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, cwell1 said:

Jimmy played free safety his 2nd year when Petrino came. You forgot? He actually looked pretty promising there at times, then Mike Smith came the next season and he showed up to camp 230 pounds and outta shape. Cut instantly lol

He was playing out of position in college. He got feasted on by Calvin Johnson and even Alvin pearman who was a rb. 

Just curious - why is this topic not considered "related" to the Falcons and stay on the TATF board?

The guy played in Atlanta and had a few good years here and had a controversial leave.  I would probably not have even heard about his retirement until a few weeks later if this topic had not posted to the TATF board last night.

I know the Around the NFL board exists but it has only 100K (0.1 million) posts while the TATF board has 4.4 million.  If something is posted on the Around board, it is almost unlikely to get read or responded to (this post?).

I agree a post about Jimmy G in San Francisco now is irrelevant to the Falcons fans, but a post right after he was traded last year was relevant given we had the possibility of facing the Pats in the Superbowl.  Likewise, a post about a Saints player getting a suspension is always relevant to the Falcons since we play them twice a year.

What decides if a topic is relevant to Falcons fans or not?  Maybe the factor should not be subjective but instead based on how many responses it has - if TATF board members are clearly responding to a topic, should it not stay there no matter if it is possibly irrelevant?  Or, is there a solution to make the Around the NFL board of more interest to TATF posters?

3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

He was playing out of position in college. He got feasted on by Calvin Johnson and even Alvin pearman who was a rb. 

oh I thought u were talking about his NFL career. Nevermind