Let's talk about Sark, I don't get the extreme hate.

I'm confused as to why Sark gets the hate that he does. Yeah, dude could have called some better plays and made better adjustments but that's any coordinator/playcaller.

Did people expect Sark to be equal or better than Shanny's 2016-2017 offensive output? That would be impossible. And he wasn't that much worse statistic wise, and I think he was even better than KS's first year.

I think for the most park Sark was average to above average. Just clean some things and we should be ready to rock next year.

Maybe i'm wrong. Talk to me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Same reasons Sark was blamed for pretty much every football organization he has been a part of. As soon as he left Alabama, Bama fans were thanking the lord he was gone.  He has no identity to his offense and he is trying to cater to what Quinn wants but even Quinn doesn't know whats best for the offense.  

It worked for Kyle because he knew the players he wanted and needed for his offense.  He had the keys to do what ever he wanted.  Quinn focused on defense, Kyle on offense. Sark comes in wanting to do his job based off what Quinn wants him to do.  All we can hope for, is that we do everything we can to be more explosive and more threatening from all players.

Scoring average. Sark can move the ball. But we had a terrible time scoring. 

2016 was historic. Nobody expected that scoring again. But no way this team should have lost 13 points a game in scoring. 13 points PER game! 

The talent is undeniable. I don’t care about yards. This team should be averaging 24-28 PPG with an average OC (which would still be 6-10 PPG drop from 2016)

The jet sweep and 4 RZ plays against the Eagles were awful. 

Shanny was better in 2015 with worse talent and a team learning an entirely new offense. 

Yes we had bad drops, but timing was way off and rhythm off and that’s on Sark.

He gets this year to fix it. And we added Fusco and Ridley. We are STACKED.

Debate will end first 5 games of this year. Either Sark improves or the haters will be proven correct. 

Edited by NeonDeion

Not using a weapon like Gabriel to help Julio and the God awful play calling at the end of the Philly game.

For me it seemed like no one was comfortable in a simpler offense. It was very strange not one WR dropped the ball they all did everyone including Matt seemed out of sync

8 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Not using a weapon like Gabriel to help Julio and the God awful play calling at the end of the Philly game.

For me it seemed like no one was comfortable in a simpler offense. It was very strange not one WR dropped the ball they all did everyone including Matt seemed off.

Much worse in 2015 in points scored. 

We lost too many games due to red zone failures under 10 yards. Probably not all Sark's fault. He gets most of the blame for those failures as he would get most of the credit if those drives produced TDs. This conversation would not be happening if we scored on the last red zone drive against the Eagles. We wasted too many opportunities!

7 hours ago, rbad8717 said:

I'm confused as to why Sark gets the hate that he does. Yeah, dude could have called some better plays and made better adjustments but that's any coordinator/playcaller.

Did people expect Sark to be equal or better than Shanny's 2016-2017 offensive output? That would be impossible. And he wasn't that much worse statistic wise, and I think he was even better than KS's first year.

Nah, people are so mistaken. The 2015 Falcons had a BUNCH of coaching changes and were coming off a 6-10 season in 2014 before Mike Smith got fired. There was no Alex Mack, no Taylor Gabriel, and no Mohamad Sanu, and in Kyle Shanahan's first season he was still very impressive with the less talent we had in the 5-0 start. We did collapse, but it was because of red zone turnovers, interceptions, and lack of ball control. We were still moving the ball pretty well even in Shanahan's first year. Plus, Shanahan already had 10 years of NFL experience as a coordinator or assistant, unlike Sarkisian who just came straight out of college, that's a huge difference. Once we got Alex Mack, Taylor Gabriel, and Mohamad Sanu in 2016 Shanahan finally had what he wanted for our high powered offense in Atlanta. Kyle Shanahan has that DNA from his father Mike Shanahan too who was also an offensive genius, but at the same time both can be douches. Such as Kyle Shanahan having such a terrible attitude towards Roddy White or messing us up in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl . 

Steve Sarkisian on the other hand, came straight out of college (once again, not comparable to Shanahan having 10+ years of experience) and he was already mediocre at USC and Alabama. Sarkisian was automatically given the keys to a Falcons team who had came off an 11-5 Super Bowl season with most of the SAME talent returning from the high powered offense, and we got a lot worse with play calling, creativity, and execution. The 2017 Falcons DEFENSE was a lot better than the 2015 team and it carried the team way more than the offense. Look at games in Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Tampa Bay, against the Saints at home, etc. Our defense saved the day in a lot of those games. Against the Panthers at home in week 17 and the Rams in the wildcard game, our special teams forcing turnovers, our defensive forcing takeaways, and Matt Bryant being as great of a field goal kicker helped us win those games, not our offense lol. The Panthers with Mike Shula as their OC and less talented receivers put up 33 against the Patriots in New England, but the Falcons on the other hand with way more talent at the O-line and the receiving core laid an egg in New England in front of national television. Matt Bryant being a great field goal kicker he is really saved us throughout 2017 as well. Matt Bryant had to be at least 25% of the Falcons offense last season lol. 

So no, 2015 Shanahan is way different than 2017 Sarkisian. 2017 Sarkisian had a better defense that was even statistically better than the 2016 team. 2015 Shanahan had a defense who was overrated and finished last in the league in sacks. 2017 Sarkisian had way more talent on both sides. 2015 Shanahan had much worse talent on both sides. Sarkisian came straight out of college with a mediocre resume. Shanahan had already been in the league for a decade. The 2018 Falcons are gonna have to be a defensive team for us to get really far throughout the season. 

3 hours ago, Falcon918 said:

Remember these same people called for Shanny's head also. I say lets see what he does his second year running the offense. 

I admit I was one of those wanting Shanahan gone, so of course now I'm willing to be more patient with Sarkisian.  However...the super bowl window on this offense is closing, and if they don't get it done this year, they'd better have a plan to replace him, because I can't see giving him three years to produce. 

I'm not a Sark fan but last year was always going to be a challenge...he was charged with running another man's life-long work.  Trying to springbooard off of that was probably never going to work.  Throw in Matt not being as accurate, all the drops and just weird stuff that happened, there is reason to believe our offense will improve.  Here are my reasons for being hopeful year 2 Steve Sark is going to be much better.

1. It's his scheme now.  He has had an entire year and offseason to put a plan together that is his own concepts and not Kyle's.  He's also seen plenty of quality NFL defensive schemes.
  2. Players will come in working that scheme and not the 2016 scheme.
  3. Julio is shou ld be in camp this year along with all our other assets
  4. Our offense was not actually pretty good year but we were terrible at scoring points so I think the issue is not as big as it seems.  Short yardage situations killed us often.
  5. Until I see otherwise, Fusco is an upgrade to Schweitzer and Ridley an upgrade to Gabriel...i.e.  (especially FBs as neither Coleman or Renew were great blockers)I think we got better.
  6. I like the competition for all other spots on the offense.  Competition for true blocking FBs, Lots of guys fighting at G, a potentially more electric RB3.  Paulson replaces Toilolo so we just need to get more out of Hooper and Saubert.

I'm one of the people here that isn't happy to see Sark back for a 2nd year.  And I admit, I didn't want Shanahan back after his 1st year either.

I was wrong about Shannahan & would love to be wrong with Sark too.  However, Sark just seemed so overmatched I'm not sure I will be on this one.  Just glad they have an experienced NFL offensive coordinator to fall back on if things go wrong early.

6 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Same reasons Sark was blamed for pretty much every football organization he has been a part of. As soon as he left Alabama, Bama fans were thanking the lord he was gone.  He has no identity to his offense and he is trying to cater to what Quinn wants but even Quinn doesn't know whats best for the offense.  

Truest words that have ever been spoken.