FalconBlood23

Atlanta Falcons Draft Picks | PFF

32 posts in this topic

I have become a fan of Steve and Sam and have been listening to their podcasts for several months.  I still don't put a lot of faith in PFF scoring but I really do appreciate the amount of real study that these two guys do beyond trying to justify PFF.  They really do understand the teams, the talent and the schemes.  

Does Oliver shadow specific receivers is what I wanna see.. I don't wanna see Alf on Mike Evans ever again.. 

PFF player grades and comments on Falcons draft as follows:

1 (26) Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama, 82.4
2 (58) Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado, 85.3
3 (90) Deadrin Senat, DI, USF, 85.0
4 (126) Ito Smith, RB, Southern Miss, 83.2
6 (194) Russell Gage, WR, LSU, 73.3
6 (200) Foye Oluokun, LB, Yale, n/a

Day 1: This was a draft without a clear-cut superstar at wide receiver. There were a number of players each of whom had strengths and weaknesses. There is no Julio Jones in this draft, but as luck would have it, the Falcons already have a Julio Jones, so adding a complementary piece was all they were looking for. In Calvin Ridley, they secured the best route runner in this class, and a receiver whose strength is simply getting open, which is a skill that will inevitably translate to the next level. Ridley does have weaknesses, but those skills as a route runner make him the perfect complement to Jones and the rest of that Falcons passing attack. Ridley’s play strength is something of a concern, but he has experience in the slot, and his floor as a prospect should be what the Eagles were able to achieve with Nelson Agholor last season by moving him to the slot where he was able to avoid the physical press coverage that troubled him so much on the outside.

Day 2: Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver represents a corner that fits far better in some schemes than others, and the Falcons are one of the teams where he is a perfect fit. From their perspective, they may well have secured a player they had a first-round grade on in the second, with the 58th overall selection. Oliver is a tall, long corner with the ability to eliminate the deep ball down his sideline. Last season on go routes, he allowed a passer rating of just 23.8, 67-points lower than the national average. He may struggle a little to change direction underneath against shifty receivers, but that’s the trade off with that type of corner. The Falcons then added Deadrin Senat in the third round – a player that gives them the chance to keep Grady Jarrett at three-technique along their defensive line by playing the Dontari Poe role as their nose tackle run stuffer. Senat had a PFF grade of 85.0 last season, with 37 defensive stops and outstanding grades against the run.

Day 3: Ito Smith is an all-around back that excels as a receiver, with 37 broken tackles on receptions over his career and another 188 on the ground. With two sixth-round picks, the Falcons drafted a linebacker from Yale in Foye Oluokun and LSU’s WR Russell Gage. Gage saw just 48 targets over his LSU career, catching 26 of them for 347 yards while also forcing 12 missed tackles on just 27 carries for the Tigers in 2017.

Overall grade: Good

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

Tim Mazetti and osiruz like this

7 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Should add an asterisk to those last 2 years because he didn't have a great QB throwing to him

Is that you, LSU Dad?

tl;dr likes this

7 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Is that you, LSU Dad?

I actually really like Hurts. He's a great kid who handled that situation better than anyone I know would have.

But he isn't a good QB. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

On 5/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, droopy1592 said:

Ito Smith will be good 

18 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Ito Smith will be good

17 hours ago, dirtybird2k5 said:

Ito Smith will be good

16 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Ito Smith will be good. 

Meh

20 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Does Oliver shadow specific receivers is what I wanna see.. I don't wanna see Alf on Mike Evans ever again.. 

The way our secondary works is we have a designated Left and Right side CB.  Our CB’s do not follow certain receivers.  Tru is always on the Left and Alford is always on the Right. 

Oliver excels as a boundary CB on the Left side.  He can play the Right side as well, but he is literally a shut down CB on the Left, holding QB’s to something like 45 points below the national average QBR on combined routes. 

So the dilemma will be do we move Trufant to the Right side or put Oliver on the Right side.  Alford will most assuredly go to the slot. 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:14 AM, Vandy said:

Uh oh, Kiss of death....PFF hated our 2016 draft...

Meh......nobody is always right OR always wrong.  

Come on Vandy!!!