Kung Fu Kenny

2 massive linemen named most freakish athletes in college football

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Outside of Ed Oliver these are the two lineman I like the most in next year's draft class. Both could play the 5T and then slide down to DT in Nickel.

The article was written last year.

2 massive linemen named most freakish athletes in college football

By: Luke Easterling | July 1, 2017 4:07 pm ET

When one thinks about the most athletic players in college football, it would be understandable if those thoughts didn’t begin in the trenches.

But according to NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread, that’s where you’d be wrong.

Goodbread recently ranked college football’s most freakish athletes for the 2017 season, and topping the list are a pair of hulking beasts from two of the nation’s most talented defensive line units.

The No. 1 spot on Goodbread’s list went to the destructive and versatile Christian Wilkins from Clemson:

At 310 pounds, Wilkins’ athleticism is difficult to fathom. He’s been clocked at 4.80 in the 40-yard dash, with a 10-yard split time of 1.62. That’s ridiculously fast for a player his size, and he has plenty of strength to go with it; he can bench press 225 pounds for 31 reps. You want explosiveness? He can broad jump 9 feet. Then, there is his flexibility, which he put on startling display after Clemson’s national title win over Alabama.

At No. 2 is a player NFL teams won’t even get a shot at in the 2018 NFL Draft, Michigan’s Rashan Gary:

There’s a reason Gary was a five-star recruit at the high school level; his athleticism is plenty freakish for a big man, and he showed it off during Michigan’s spring testing this year. At 6-foot-5, 287 pounds, Gary turned in a 4.57 40-yard dash — simply ridiculous for a man of his size — and a 31-inch vertical jump. He also ran a 6.70 time in the 3-cone drill, which would have led all defensive linemen at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine. He made 27 tackles, five for losses, as a freshman last year. But those are modest numbers for a player of Gary’s potential, and he could double that production as early as this fall. Yes, the Michigan coaching staff is expecting big things from him.

Edited by Kung Fu Kenny

Rashan Gary has looked like a future top 5 pick ever since he stepped on the field at Michigan.

I was hoping Wilkins would declare this year. He may have been the first tackle taken. In the 2019 draft he might not even be the 3rd best.

Kung Fu Kenny likes this

I believe it while heatedly after watching both Clem and im games they were several standouts. As it stands now I believe I would take either one if they dropped to us. 

Kung Fu Kenny likes this

7 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Rashan Gary has looked like a future top 5 pick ever since he stepped on the field at Michigan.

I was hoping Wilkins would declare this year. He may have been the first tackle taken. In the 2019 draft he might not even be the 3rd best.

I agree

Whose the best FS or SLBer coming out that's where I think we should be looking first.

Allen and Campbell quite possibly maybe casualties going foward as well as Coleman.

14 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Whose the best FS or SLBer coming out that's where I think we should be looking first.

Allen and Campbell quite possibly maybe casualties going foward as well as Coleman.

Not sure about FS, doesn't look a great safety class at this point, particularly if you're after a single high.

At linebacker Mack Wilson (Bama) and Devin White (LSU) are freaks.

A-TowN.- and Kung Fu Kenny like this

Just now, Smiler11 said:

Not sure about FS, doesn't look a great safety class at this point, particularly if you're after a single high.

At linebacker Mack Wilson (Bama) and Devin White (LSU) are freaks.

I'd look LBer then forget DT we won't be anywhere near the top.

If you were to go in that direction Gary would be the guy with Shelby and Reed off next year you need to replenish that hybrid spot.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

If you were to go in that direction Gary would be the guy with Shelby and Reed off next year you need to replenish that hybrid spot.

Reed is actually signed through 2019, although I imagine they'll extend/restructure as his 2019 cap hit is scheduled to be nearly $7m.

We do need someone to play that base end role opposite Reed. That could be Crawford. We might even bring back Shelby. I'd still like for us to look at a guy who can cover both 4/5 tech and 3 tech. Someone like Gary would be ideal

2 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Reed is actually signed through 2019, although I imagine they'll extend/restructure as his 2019 cap hit is scheduled to be nearly $7m.

We do need someone to play that base end role opposite Reed. That could be Crawford. We might even bring back Shelby. I'd still like for us to look at a guy who can cover both 4/5 tech and 3 tech. Someone like Gary would be ideal

I doubt we'll be in position unless the wheels fall offf.

To be honest with you I have no idea what to expect from Crawford this year his body of work from my own point of view is so small I just don't know what to expect.

Posted (edited)

Gary could be a top 3 pick overall.

Wilkins could be better than any DT who came out this year.  

Edited by VTCrunkler
Vandy likes this

20 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I doubt we'll be in position unless the wheels fall offf.

To be honest with you I have no idea what to expect from Crawford this year his body of work from my own point of view is so small I just don't know what to expect.

Yeah I think barring something extraordinary, Gary will go top 10. But that is the type of player I think we are missing.

Wilkins at Clemson played up and down that line. Another player I like is Daniel Wise from Kansas.

Kung Fu Kenny and kiwifalcon like this

21 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Yeah I think barring something extraordinary, Gary will go top 10. But that is the type of player I think we are missing.

Wilkins at Clemson played up and down that line. Another player I like is Daniel Wise from Kansas.

I can get on the Wise Train. Nasty 3 tech with a little bit more size. Man plays with anger. 

On 5/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, Smiler11 said:

Dre'mont Jones would fit that role if that's what you are looking for.

If Rashan Gary declares, and he somehow slips out of the top 5, and this team's injury rash continues...we might actually be able to get him.

Nice consolation prize overall.

A-TowN.- likes this

Quite a few solid DL this year but I love Gary from Michigan. 

I also really like Devin White and Deionte Thompson. 

2 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Quite a few solid DL this year but I love Gary from Michigan. 

I also really like Devin White and Deionte Thompson. 

My top targets for Rd 1 are Mack Wilson or Dre'mont Jones.

2 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

My top targets for Rd 1 are Mack Wilson or Dre'mont Jones.

What if we're drafting top 10-15?

Bosa,Oliver, Gary, Lawrence, Wilkins, Simmons, Ferrell, etc. Who do you like best? We definitely have to upgrade the d-line, hopefully with at least 1 FA signing and an early draft pick. Really hope we take a LB at some point too

18 hours ago, Matt4415 said:

Bosa,Oliver, Gary, Lawrence, Wilkins, Simmons, Ferrell, etc. Who do you like best? We definitely have to upgrade the d-line, hopefully with at least 1 FA signing and an early draft pick. Really hope we take a LB at some point too

If Ed Oliver is there then I think it’s a no brainer. He’s the most explosive and athletic 3 tech since Donald. 

1 hour ago, A-TowN.- said:

If Ed Oliver is there then I think it’s a no brainer. He’s the most explosive and athletic 3 tech since Donald. 

No question, would love Oliver, Grady, and Takk on the line. I wouldn't mind Clelin Ferrell though, his burst off the line is incredible