Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United May Thread

64 posts in this topic

Tough stretch coming up, 3 games in 8 days....

Probably a very good chance we're gonna sneak in some rest minutes, especially the way the depth has emerged. Little more Garza, Escobar, Kratz, maybe Barco plays the 10 in place of Miggy. Hate that the game next Sunday is Orlando cause that's a prime spot to maybe catch our breath a little before getting ready for Red Bulls and New England, gonna be tough to get 3 points in that one, could be a little rough on our pride. Their going to be amped up, and sold out for that one. Miggy and Josef do not need to be playing 80+ x3

On 06/05/2018 at 3:38 AM, AF89 said:

This team is good

Winning when not playing particularly well is a sign, got to be a sign! 

Early days, but does anyone on here regularly attend games at MBS? Going to be at the Salt Lake game so it'd be great time on Falcons weekend to meet up with more board members.

Don't like wearing away kits at home.  Just ...do...not.

We got the best home unis in the league,  we should use them as much as possible

That was uh...bad decision by Guzan. Nothing else but.... 

We're already without both our backup keepers, now down a man for this game, bout to do a ton of extra running to cover more space (horrible given the short week), abd probably be playing our USL keeper in Orlando

Would rather have just given them the goal....

Such a frustrating result cause I thought we were clearly the better team and that VAR reviewd goal was easily 50/50  (would have been 5 points clear of the supporters shield race) and now we go into our big rivalry match at a little bit extra of a disadvantage than we were already getting on short rest.

Tough night

Listening to the refs written explaination as well as the 92.9 post game read the actual rule from the rule book I've convinced myself we were screwed on the offsides. (The red card was a good call)

The KC player made an active move on the ball, even the refs explination admits this in that he intentionally planted his foot in the path of that pass. The MLS rulebook says that Josef is only offside if the deflection is unintentional.

But I think was makes me mad most is the fact that it was called a goal on the pitch, he was given a chance to review it in slowmo and when all is said and done Geiger somehow thinks he knows better than the actual rule and overturns it 

Do we win if that goal stands?...I tend to think so given our run of play prior to the red card. Certainly the game plays out differently, the red card may not have even happened with that kind front foot momentum.

For what its worth, Jason Longshore on the post game called the offical explanation given to the media a "cop out"

Here's another while I'm compiling a list of greviances 

Edit: they broke down a better angle of this on AT fan TV and it looks like it mostly hit' his upper shoulder/chest so this looks like a good call

The officiating in this game was horrible. Outside of footy, I thought nothing could beat the worst SEC crews, but MLS takes the crown for worst referees in any sport. And they have video review, which a lot of soccer leagues don’t have. 

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

The officiating in this game was horrible. Outside of footy, I thought nothing could beat the worst SEC crews, but MLS takes the crown for worst referees in any sport. And they have video review, which a lot of soccer leagues don’t have. 

Yeah it's even worse when you make the right initial call, get another look at it in slow motion and proceed to completely blow it. 

We arguably also got to be on the other side of that kind of call when we played Vancouver but that was much more subjective than this one. The ref just plain ignored that the defender played the ball and decided he knew better than the MLS rulebook. Not a great look for the league when the refs get to make their on rules up.

When's the last time an Atlanta team went into a far healthier, fresher rival's building and kicked adversity in the balls like this?

Long half to go tho, they have the fresher legs and have had a handful of comebacks already to their name. Need to maintain.

Kann looks good (as expected) he'll be a starter somewhere eventually imo

Absolute great win....my friend gave the fun fact that Orlando has never beat Atlanta which makes that win so much more satisfying!!

2 hours ago, Aston Villa FC said:

Absolute great win....my friend gave the fun fact that Orlando has never beat Atlanta which makes that win so much more satisfying!!

What's crazy is (certainly prior to last night) Orlando probably had a lead over Atlanta in the series by a 2:1 margin in minutes with the lead. Josef's PK was our first lead since Tito's goal of the year late in game 1. Orlando lead the entirety of game 2 before giving another one up to Tito literally at the end of stoppage time, and lead most of the 3-3 draw in game 3 that was tic for tac, they scored, we'd eventually answer.

Yet we've got 8 points to their 2 and the only claimed victories, both in their house.  This is unquestionably a rivalry we're on the better end of.

And they had every advantage in the world last night, we were on short rest, banged up and in their building. It's probably not going to present a better opportunity for them than that and I think they knew this and the frustration shown from both fans and players which both came unraveled as the game wore on.

OK ******* IM BACK LETS GET THIS W!!!! 

One of the most annoying people I've ever met is obsessed with Red Bull so this is personal :lol:

Gieger on VAR strikes again.

That guy has some kind of issue with us

Can't even celebrate goals anymore having no idea if they'll stand or not.

2 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Gieger on VAR strikes again.

That guy has some kind of issue with us

Can't even celebrate goals anymore having no idea if they'll stand or not.

Can they review the penalty decision? Clear possession afterwards so no need for a drop ball or anything. 

VAR is useless if they can't use it properly.

Having said that, Almiron and Martinez have got to take at least one of those chances earlier on.

7 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Can they review the penalty decision? Clear possession afterwards so no need for a drop ball or anything. 

VAR is useless if they can't use it properly.

Yes they can but it's Mark Geiger so they won't.

He's like an MLB umpire, ego may be at play here

Same ref that called Josef offside last Wednesday, Same ref from our redbull opener (I think) Same ref from that Mexico Panama in the Dome a few years game that was reffed so bad CONCACAF launched a corruption probe (albiet a joke one to placate Panamanian fans)

Posted (edited)

Superb decision there ref. Wow, these are useless.

For the record, no way he overturns that.

Edited by Domed Outter