Matt Ryan has agreed to a 5 year extension, $30 mill per year QB w $100 mill guaranteed

RHEC

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

I agree. Matthews would also get highest contract for LT in history of Falcons let him hit free agency because very seldom do teams foolishly let a LT leave in his prime. 

And mark this down..NE will regret letting Nate soldier leave. Big time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nate-solders-departure-one-really-hurts-new-england-patriots%3famp

It will unless Isaiah Wynn can actually be part of the solution?

Agreed on taking care of your own (guaranteed monies/signing bonuses up front etc) in situations with premier positions in the league (star WR, PB- caliber CB that fits your system, franchise QB, stable LT, premier pass rusher...not much more other than league leading types like having the best or top 5 player in the league at other positions)

If you let them test FA you always pay more. Those positions; when they aren't even best in the league, if a reliable veteran is available you pay more (whether hunting or retaining)...the draft is therefore essential before you have those contracts in place and after...so our cap situation will be harder to work around if Matthews and Beasley both get paid; depending on how their contracts are structured. Not a problem if you stagger them...so it's sort of can you afford Matthews during this season if he shows out?

The catch is can you afford the signing bonus. IMO, Atlanta is waiting for Jake to have a good start to 2018 and sign his long-term deal at a point similar to Alford's contract extension. Why? If there is any hesitancy we can see him step up his game or not and also get a better idea of projecting the future (you have alternate plans researched; even if your intention isn't going to be to let him walk, but in the end he could have his cap hit lowered in theory this year if we wanted but it may also help spread his signing bonus out/plus negotiating how much guaranteed is a risk on Matthews until they are sure...but it's more like they want to ensure to have funds for another signing bonus due after paying Matt just now.

Atlanta may guarantee a guy that's a safe guarantee (Matt) but it's always a risk. I hope Devonta takes care of himself. He seems the riskiest of our recent long-term deals to retain starters. Trufant needs a bounce back year from some of his mental errors but performance is correctable. Injuries aren't always in your control for the record.

Then, at some point next offseason we could try to extend Beasley if he has a good-great year.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Normally that narrative holds true. However people want to compare Brady’s contract to Ryan’s. 

As much as I love Ryan. He is no where near as popular as Brady. Brady’s name alone is up there with the Jordan, Babe Ruth, and Wayne Gretzky. His name alone will sell his product around the world. Ryan doesn’t hold that distinction. So the narrative that Ryan can take a pay cut like Brady is a false narrative because all things aren’t equal. 

I agree that there are many ways for players to make money, but the suggestion that because one person does then so should everyone else, doesn’t hold water. 

Brady isn't the bread winner either.  His wife worth double of his worth.

I swear to God...I take a long break from the board and I come back to the same exact crap that went on back when I was here all the time.  Sometimes it's painful to watch.  

Anyway, I like that Ryan is a Falcon for life.  I wish it could have been for less, but this is the going rate, so let's all be stoked we have one of the best QB's in the league for the rest of his career!  

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It will unless Isaiah Wynn can actually be part of the solution?

Agreed on taking care of your own (guaranteed monies/signing bonuses up front etc) in situations with premier positions in the league (star WR, PB- caliber CB that fits your system, franchise QB, stable LT, premier pass rusher...not much more other than league leading types like having the best or top 5 player in the league at other positions)

If you let them test FA you always pay more. Those positions; when they aren't even best in the league, if a reliable veteran is available you pay more (whether hunting or retaining)...the draft is therefore essential before you have those contracts in place and after...so our cap situation will be harder to work around if Matthews and Beasley both get paid; depending on how their contracts are structured. Not a problem if you stagger them...so it's sort of can you afford Matthews during this season if he shows out?

The catch is can you afford the signing bonus. IMO, Atlanta is waiting for Jake to have a good start to 2018 and sign his long-term deal at a point similar to Alford's contract extension. Why? If there is any hesitancy we can see him step up his game or not and also get a better idea of projecting the future (you have alternate plans researched; even if your intention isn't going to be to let him walk, but in the end he could have his cap hit lowered in theory this year if we wanted but it may also help spread his signing bonus out/plus negotiating how much guaranteed is a risk on Matthews until they are sure...but it's more like they want to ensure to have funds for another signing bonus due after paying Matt just now.

Atlanta may guarantee a guy that's a safe guarantee (Matt) but it's always a risk. I hope Devonta takes care of himself. He seems the riskiest of our recent long-term deals to retain starters. Trufant needs a bounce back year from some of his mental errors but performance is correctable. Injuries aren't always in your control for the record.

Then, at some point next offseason we could try to extend Beasley if he has a good-great year.

What is there that tells you matthews has to “up his game” in order to get a long-term deal, Ergo? The dude is amazingly consistent, what you see is what you are going to get. 

Speaking of risks, wynn is a humongous risk if he’s the pats plan for LT. I know certain ‘dawg’ fans experts in here have portrayed him as a can’t miss, but that was as an OG, a far less complicated position to master than LT in the NFL.  

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What is there that tells you matthews has to “up his game” in order to get a long-term deal, Ergo? The dude is amazingly consistent, what you see is what you are going to get. 

Speaking of risks, wynn is a humongous risk if he’s the pats plan for LT. I know certain ‘dawg’ fans experts in here have portrayed him as a can’t miss, but that was as an OG, a far less complicated position to master than LT in the NFL.  

I guess I was trying to set a timeline in my mind for a potential deal and compared to Rocky's. My OCD thinking just covering the chance Falcons internally would want him to prove to a degree being worth the big extension in a particular area if there was one, but sorta doesn't make sense then his price could go up the closer we get to next offseason...

Jake had a good year last season.

Meh, overthinking it. Jake probably gets done between now (that is training camp) and mid/past mid-season.

Sometimes I share ideas that I don't hold personally but brainstorm for sake of coverage. Again, sorta OCD...just analyst in me I guess.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Yawn.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!!!

Isn't the objective to win a Super Bowl, not getting paid top dollar to lose them? Is $150 million well spent if we don't win a Lombardi? Never mind don't answer homer. 

4 minutes ago, NobisFan60 said:

Isn't the objective to win a Super Bowl, not getting paid top dollar to lose them? Is $150 million well spent if we don't win a Lombardi? Never mind don't answer homer. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t football a team sport?

Are you suggesting that by letting Ryan walk we would increase our chances at a Lombardi? Because if you are then there’s a word for that lol

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t football a team sport?

Are you suggesting that by letting Ryan walk we would increase our chances at a Lombardi? Because if you are then there’s a word for that lol

No I'm suggesting they gave him too big a contract and too much money, and there's a word for that: Overpaying. To feed his ego and make him the highest paid player in the NFL. Definitely not the best QB in the league, by a LONG SHOT! I'm done with you. 

12 minutes ago, NobisFan60 said:

10%, 12%, 16%, 16%, 16%, 13%

Thats what Matt Ryan will cost against our team cap space the next 6 years. 

Leaving us $160M, $165M, $166M, $175M, $183M, $198M respectively to spend on everyone else on our roster.

So who give’s a **** how much his paycheck is.  It’s not going to hamstring us one little bit. Not even close. 

Stop being a little whiney bi*ch.

Edited by Beef

8 minutes ago, NobisFan60 said:

No I'm suggesting they gave him too big a contract and too much money, and there's a word for that: Overpaying. To feed his ego and make him the highest paid player in the NFL. Definitely not the best QB in the league, by a LONG SHOT! I'm done with you. 

Lmfao Oh my God, this is so obvious Legendary SB with an alt account spewing the same “Ryan has an ego” dumb@ss narrative. Sorry there fella but no one is buying that stupid @ss story, no matter how many fake accounts you have. 

And it’s not overpaying it’s paying market value. I’d explain it to you but I’m positive about 98% of it would go over your head. 

Spankings over.

You're dismissed. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

1 minute ago, Beef said:

10%, 12%, 16%, 16%, 16%, 13%

Thats what Matt Ryan will cost against our team cap space the next 6 years. 

Leaving us $160M, $165M, $166M, $175M, $183M, $198M respectively to spend on everyone else on our roster.

So who give’s a **** how much his paycheck is.  It’s not going to hamstring us one little bit. Not even close. 

Stop being a little whiney bi*ch.

Dude it’s Legendary SB. Check out the ret@rded “Ryan has an ego.” narrative he’s trying to spin. Lol

9 minutes ago, NobisFan60 said:

I'm gonna keep asking this question to all the "they overpaid" posters: how much should the Falcons have paid Ryan?  

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Dude it’s Legendary SB. Check out the ret@rded “Ryan has an ego.” narrative he’s trying to spin. Lol

Yeah I know. Still fun putting that little crybaby in his place, though. 

Ryan... an “ego”... LOL, anyone suggesting this is trolling, a hater, and/or just beyond stupid. 

I honestly don’t know how anyone spouting nonsense like that doesn’t get banned.  It’s not a dissenting opinion or playing devil’s advocate. He’s clearly not really a fan of this team, displaying such overwhelming intellectual dishonesty.

Just now, Beef said:

Ryan... an “ego”... LOL, anyone suggesting this is trolling, a hater, and/or just beyond stupid. 

I honestly don’t know how anyone spouting nonsense like that doesn’t get banned.  It’s not a dissenting opinion or playing devil’s advocate. He’s clearly not really a fan of this team, displaying such overwhelming intellectual dishonesty.

Yeah it is. It’s really pathetic.

I’m going to go with all three. Lol

I won’t cast any aspersions on the current mods in place. They have done a decent job with the board. Especially since the “Great Troll Purge”. However there are some trolls on the boards that continue to slip through the cracks. But I agree. He’s definitely not a fan of the team. 

3 hours ago, Beef said:

We don't ban people for their opinions here.  We're not like a certain division rivals' board, and I'm glad we're not.

3 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Yeah it is. It’s really pathetic.

I’m going to go with all three. Lol

I won’t cast any aspersions on the current mods in place. They have done a decent job with the board. Especially since the “Great Troll Purge”. However there are some trolls on the boards that continue to slip through the cracks. But I agree. He’s definitely not a fan of the team. 

All I can say is that you don't see what happens behind the scenes.  We generally don't announce it when we take action on something.

4 hours ago, PK Manley said:

All I can say is that you don't see what happens behind the scenes.  We generally don't announce it when we take action on something.

I figured you wouldn’t. Usually I just don’t see that person post anymore. Which is fine with me. 

10 hours ago, NobisFan60 said:

Cant fix stupid.

10 hours ago, gtech1 said:

I'm gonna keep asking this question to all the "they overpaid" posters: how much should the Falcons have paid Ryan?  

Thats the exact same thing I ask the FB trolls who do the same whining. I also ask them since most of them claim to " know football", who would you replace MR with that would give the team a better chance of winning if you were GM for a day?

Edited by TNFalcon1

Y'all have Kanye West syndrome. You want to silence the voices that disagree with you. Pathetic. This is America folks not North Korea.

8-8 Guaranteed this season, Tampa wins the division. Freeman is out at least two games with a concussion and TeCo (the better back imo) is GONE after this season as is Sanu. Overpaid for Freeman, Ryan, and Trufant. So now we get to rotate rookies in and out to stay under the cap.