Nereek

Matt Ryan has agreed to a 5 year extension, $30 mill per year QB w $100 mill guaranteed

872 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Has been brought up on here many times before but...

2013 - $20.75 million per year, $123 million salary cap = 16.9% of current cap

2017 - $30 million per year, $177 million salary cap = 16.9% of current cap

And like you said....he didnt get $30m, he got $28.2 per rotoworld. 

And the cap is going up $9-12m per year with no end in sight. 

People are funny man. 

1 minute ago, The Legendary SB said:

How about what he's actually worth as a player?  Remember the year Julio got hurt and we had no left tackle?  That's how good Ryan is without a supporting cast.  And with his new contract it would take a miracle to lock up Jake Matthews.  Let's see how good Ryan is with Lamar Holmes II protecting his blind side.  

You have no clue what you are talking about. Yeah any QB can be successful without a LT and their #1 wr. And whatever season you're  talking about I'd be willing to bet he was top ten statisticaly. Nevermind he has more career passing yards than A Rogers. Brady and Rogers don't have a supporting cast. Go give 1/3 or your paycheck back to your company. I doubt you deserve what the market is worth.

Rhodaric, hotlanta and Caddieman like this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Andrews,   it is just a general idea of value - is it arbitrary?  YES......players aren't paid on commission - I am....I wish everybody was paid on commission - I know Matt is motivated and that is not realistic.

As to your "past deal metrics" - well the salary market for QBs has changed and it ain't going back so that is irrelevant.

Matt Ryan, for now, is the highest paid QB in the NFL.  I don't think it is unrealistic to want to see him hit the 30 TD mark - which is a really nice benchmark for a great season as an accomplished QB.  If he throws 28-29, still a good year - but 30+ generally puts you in the top 2-3 QBs in the NFL - and if you are the highest paid and you have a top 5 WR and a second WR just drafted in 1st round and a Pro-Bowl RB - I don't think expecting 30 TDs per year is an unffair expectation.

Get paid the best, I expect the best level of play - top 5 for sure.

Ok, if it's just a standard "the highest paid QBs should be throwing about 30 TDs a year," and the avg value of the highest contracts just happen to neatly equate to a 1/1 ratio at this moment in time, I can get more on board with that.  I view it a bit more liberally, relying a bit more on gut, and eye test plus stats, versus simply raw numbers (and I know you do too). But I see the point you're making.

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

And like you said....he didnt get $30m, he got $28.2 per rotoworld. 

And the cap is going up $9-12m per year with no end in sight. 

People are funny man. 

It's jealousy 

6 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

How about what he's actually worth as a player?  Remember the year Julio got hurt and we had no left tackle?  That's how good Ryan is without a supporting cast.  He's not the kind of QB that can carry an offense.  He needs talent around him.  With his new contract it would take a miracle to lock up Jake Matthews.  Let's see how good Ryan is with Lamar Holmes II protecting his blind side.  

That year Matt still threw for 4,500 yards and 21 TDs.... 

Only good QBs can put up that kind of production after losing their top WR

hotlanta and Sidecar Falcon like this

3 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

lmfao you dont even know the yearly cap numbers or our cap situation yet and youre spewing this garbage.. LOL

He has no clue what the cap is or how it works. Has no idea he will be taking the same % of the cap on this contract as we did on the last contract. He has no idea the cap rises every year

8 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

How about what he's actually worth as a player?  Remember the year Julio got hurt and we had no left tackle?  That's how good Ryan is without a supporting cast.  He's not the kind of QB that can carry an offense.  He needs talent around him.  With his new contract it would take a miracle to lock up Jake Matthews.  Let's see how good Ryan is with Lamar Holmes II protecting his blind side.  

You only answered 1 of my questions.  And you generated another one: in your opinion, how much is he "actually worth as a player?" 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

20 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

in your opinion, how much is he "actually worth as a player?" 

28 million per year over 3 years. :ninja:

Sorry, saw that one on NFL memes.  ^_^

$1 million more than Jimmy G with a 5 year EXTENSION is a solid deal. Funny people were saying a hometown discount at $27-28 would be a fair deal, now that it’s exactly what Matt signed he’s paid too much. 

GATXBOI, FalconBlood and Marco102 like this

7 minutes ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

Ok, if it's just a standard "the highest paid QBs should be throwing about 30 TDs a year," and the avg value of the highest contracts just happen to neatly equate to a 1/1 ratio at this moment in time, I can get more on board with that.  I view it a bit more liberally, relying a bit more on gut, and eye test plus stats, versus simply raw numbers (and I know you do too). But I see the point you're making.

yeah, it just works out neatly now on a 1/1 ratio.....not something specific for the history of paying QBs and football.  To me, that 30TD/yr means something.- it is not easy to get to but it is totally obtainable.   2 TDs/game passing gets you to 32.  Considering Peyton and Brees have, at least once, gone for 40+ TDs/season - getting 30 to me - feels like a quality benchmark.

Its perfectly reasonable to have discussions about where the tipping point rests in terms of paying veteran QBs. I'm all for having that discussion. 

However....32+ year old Matt Ryan coming off of two very good seasons (including one MVP) and playing in a beneficial situation ISNT where that tipping point rests. In three years? Yeah, maybe. Deal with it then. 

Right now? You'd find that the costs and uncertainty associated with finding a replacement would almost certainly be much much greater. 

14 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Has been brought up on here many times before but...

2013 - $20.75 million per year, $123 million salary cap = 16.9% of current cap

2017 - $30 million per year, $177 million salary cap = 16.9% of current cap

I wish I didn't do the math first, then read the thread to make sure I wasn't posting something already posted...

This post is all that needs to be said.  His last contract didn't hamstring us, and his current one won't either.  The problem we have with the cap now is that we have too much roster talent to keep it all.  Matt taking a couple million dollar a year discount isn't likely to change that.

The problem was caused by good drafting and good coaching these past few years.  You know what also fixes that problem?  The same **** thing.  We'll be fine, and the best QB in Falcons history will be here til he retires...

32 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

LoL. Has more career passing yardsa than Aaron Rogers. Matt Ryan is going to be in Canton.

It's been a passing league for 10 years. Who ISN'T going into Canton? Eli Manning is going into Canton. Soooo.....?

2 minutes ago, I give lengthy responses said:

I'm a big Matt Ryan fan but I can't justify this in my head, way too much money. Time to kiss Coleman goodbye.

If keeping a borderline HOF QB costs you a good running back, you pay that cost every single time. 

Also, Coleman can be kept if the FO wants to. Its not that hard. 

I saw Salary cap projections in 2016...they lowballed 2018 by about 7 million and are only up to 180 by next year (2019) honestly with the way that it has continued I wouldn't be surprised if it reached 200 million by 2020.  So this 30 million average would take about 15 percent of the cap. It's still a lot for one player but again...still workable and with other less recognized players increasing the value of contracts, it's only expected that higher players like Ryan and Rodgers would get top qb money.  When people throw Brees into the convo we have to remember he is still 4 years older than Rodgers and the value changes because the years are not assured as when you're younger.  Brees could play another 5 years.  Which would technically mean Ryan and Rodgers could play another 10 to 13 years theoretically.  All three of these players are well deserving of top money, whether its top 3 or top overall.  I'm thankful we have someone like Ryan who solidifies the position each and every year he is here and only adds to the excitement because when I think back to the game against CHI in his rookie year, how he brought us back that day and has many times since, I'm **** proud to be a fan and **** proud to have Matty Ice as my QB!

Drew4719, GATXBOI and Tim Mazetti like this