⚡Slumerican⚡

UDFA Matt Gono predicted starter by year 2

150 posts in this topic

nson, 
Bio: 
Three-year starter at tackle who was named First Team All-NJAC in each of those three seasons.
Pos: 
Small-school left tackle with potential at guard in the NFL. Well-built, explosive and strong at the point. Plays with a nasty attitude, looks to annihilate opponents and keeps his head on a swivel. Always looks for someone to hit. Fundamentally sound, fires into blocks off the snap and keeps his feet moving on contact.
Neg: 
Heavy-footed and slow to the second level. Marginally effective adjusting to defenders.
chool Matt Gono, Niles Scott Signed As Undrafted Free Agents Following NFL Draft
After one of the most successful careers in a Wesley uniform, Gono was selected to participate in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in January at the historic Rose Bowl in Pasadena. He impressed scouts with his performance in multiple positions on the offensive line and was commended by the commentators and coaches alike. He helped the American team notch 115 rushing yards in one of the premier college football all-star games in the country.

Wesley held a Pro Day for NFL scouts for Gono and other NFL-caliber Wolverines on March 22. Gono shined with 17 NFL scouts in attendance. He measured at 6-4, 316 pounds and ran 40-yard dash In 5.10 seconds into the wind. Gono also benched 225 pounds 26 times and broad jumped 118" (9-10), which would have put him second in the event at the NFL combine.

Overview
Gono has long arms and possesses the desired physical traits teams covet from small-school, developmental prospects. He overwhelmed inferior competition with his size and talent on the Division III level but will need more coaching and technique work before he is ready to match up against NFL talent. Gono flashes ideal bend and athletic ability on tape but needs more consistent aggression to handle guard responsibilities. Gono could be a late round stash-and-coach project with average upside.
Strengths
  • Fires out of his stance with impressive burst. Carries good flexion throughout lower body. Has ability to bend and leverage opponents if he can correct pad level out of stance. Can torque opponents off their spot with twitchy hip turn when turning edge defender out. Has athletic attributes necessary for recovery in run or pass. Decent movement in space
  • Athletic ability to catch moving second level targets, engage, and sustain
Weaknesses
  • Faced substantially smaller, less talented opponents across from him. Pad level into initial block is too tall and lacks a level of force he should be able to generate
  • Needs to play with better aggression and consistent finishing. Can get around corner as pull blocker, but is rarely block-ready when it's time to land. Hand placement is inconsistent in run game causing him to lose advantages. Wins with size and strength over technique at times. Has to prove he can play with faster, more efficient hands at guard

College: Wesley
The skinny: While he comes from the Division III ranks, Gono's got the game for the next level. I suspect he'll make the team this year and compete for a starting spot in Year Two, using his size, nasty demeanor, and surprising agility to move from tackle to guard.

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Seems like he might be worth a look....

I see a pic with a Falcons logo...but didn't read anything stating it....so are you saying we signed him??

Yes, UDFA signing 

Big, tough guy. Projected to transition to guard. Very strong and has the size, just needs to work on footwork 

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

That's a pretty poverty bench press for a position that needs strength.

His bench press and broad jump would have tied him second to all the guards in the combine? Idk if poverty is the correct description? 

Gono also benched 225 pounds 26 times and broad jumped 118" (9-10), which would have put him second in the event at the NFL combine.

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

His bench press and broad jump would have tied him second to all the guards in the combine? Idk if poverty is the correct description? 

Gono also benched 225 pounds 26 times and broad jumped 118" (9-10), which would have put him second in the event at the NFL combine.

26 reps of 100 pounds under BW is poverty. 

5 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

No matter what it is, folks around here always try to find a way to turn something into a negative.

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

No matter what it is, folks around here always try to find a way to turn something into a negative.

I'm stating the obvious, our DT weights less and did like 15 more reps.

I'm 188 and can do 225 11-13 times and don't train the lift like these guys do in anticipation of the combine.

Edited by Malachore

8 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm 188 and can do 225 11-13 times and don't train the lift like these guys do in anticipation of the combine.

Then maybe you should try out for the NFL. 26 bench reps is good for a rookie guard. You make no sense. 

13 minutes ago, shock said:

Then maybe you should try out for the NFL. 26 bench reps is good for a rookie guard. You make no sense. 

Lol ok

Pound for pound that's weak.  Barkley did more, Griffin did 20 with 1 true hand.

Edited by Malachore
vitaman likes this

4 minutes ago, shock said:

You've got that right, you can train and get 20 reps of 225, I've lifted my whole life.. Anything over 20 and that's c0ck strong man strength no matter what your weight is. Plus be over 300 lbs with a 10' broad jump at just 21 years old.. He's got my respect. 

If I remember correctly, at 21 maybe could push 225 7-8 reps.. Poverty? Gtfoh

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

You've got that right, you can train and get 20 reps of 225, I've lifted my whole life.. Anything over 20 and that's c0ck strong man strength no matter what your weight is. Plus be over 300 lbs with a 10' broad jump at just 21 years old.. He's got my respect. 

If I remember correctly, at 21 maybe could push 225 7-8 reps.. Poverty? Gtfoh

Did you weigh 300 pounds, that's my point.

Edited by Malachore

28 minutes ago, Malachore said:

yeah but is TD going to come along after and pick up the bar one handed????  :ninja::lol:

edit: maybe I should have just asked if we could see a pic of your hair  :lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Cheyakita said:

Considering Frank Ragnow went in the first round, pick 20 I believe, has almost identical measurable at 6'5 312 and did 26 reps at 225...I don't see how your point makes any sense Malachore.

I'm not saying they are a bad prospect I'm saying pound for pound those numbers are not good impressive. Especially when RBs and 1 handed LBs are passing or approaching.

Just now, Malachore said:

I'm not saying they are a bad prospect I'm saying pound for pound those numbers are not good impressive. Especially when RBs and 1 handed LBs are passing or approaching.

I got ya, nothing some conditioning in the NFL can't help with, they did say a few years though.

17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Lol ok

Pound for pound that's weak.  Barkley did more, Griffin did 20 with 1 true hand.

Lol. Reps is about stamina, has nothing to do with pound for pound strength. 

Lets see the single rep max to see who is stronger.

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Did you weigh 300 pounds, that's my point.

His NFL peers do, and 26 is a fairly good number compared to them.  It's certainly not a bad number like Orlando Brown's 14 at the combine, who still got drafted in the third round.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Lol. Reps is about stamina, has nothing to do with pound for pound strength. 

Lets see the single rep max to see who is stronger.

Pound for pound he is probably weaker. You can estimate a 1rm from that and it would be withing 5-10 pounds.