The O.D.B

Matt forcing the ball to JJ

40 posts in this topic

Matt forcing the ball to JJ is something that stood out like a sore thumb in shanny's first year. While that was the worst year of it and the  most glaring example it's always been this way, be it Julio, Roddy or Gonzo, Matt has certain targets he trusts when it's go time. In watching more vids on Ridley tonight it occurred to me how many times over the past years we've seen a Hardy, Hall, Douglas, Williams, etc standing wide open, in plain sight of Matt just beyond a trusted receiver and Matt riffles the ball in to a doubled/tripled JJ. It also occurred to me that Matt has always had two trusted targets on any given team he's been on with us and a supporting crew. If Ridley can be the third trusted guy, that guy open a little beyond the trusted target, it could change our offense in a massive way. I look forward to this being a thing of the past.

I'm very excited to see if we reach my hopeful estimation of what we can be this year.

VTCrunkler likes this

53 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I think you’re thinking of 2015 

that would be Shanny's first  year...

I'm hoping Ridley can be that guy who can take advantage of one on one single coverage...or we start catching mismatches again with our electric backfield.

Lol. Most plays our wrs can't get loose and when they did they knocked the ball up for a butt interception.

Posted (edited)

I feel your intent.

But every QB has go to guys. Matt spreads the ball as well or better than most others. I don’t thinks it’s a problem. 

My issue with him is improvisation. When it’s clutch time and a play is called for a go to guy, and the defense keys in on it, he struggles recognizing it and moving on decisively, typically with pressure in his face. 

He has done better over the years.  But it’s apart of his DNA. When the game is on the line he’d rather go down with the ship running the coaches playcall to get the ball to ___, than bail out of it and make it happen on his own and find that open guy we all see in the replay after the fact.

Edited by LightningDawg58
VTCrunkler likes this

8 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

Matt forcing the ball to JJ is something that stood out like a sore thumb in shanny's first year. While that was the worst year of it and the  most glaring example it's always been this way, be it Julio, Roddy or Gonzo, Matt has certain targets he trusts when it's go time. In watching more vids on Ridley tonight it occurred to me how many times over the past years we've seen a Hardy, Hall, Douglas, Williams, etc standing wide open, in plain sight of Matt just beyond a trusted receiver and Matt riffles the ball in to a doubled/tripled JJ. It also occurred to me that Matt has always had two trusted targets on any given team he's been on with us and a supporting crew. If Ridley can be the third trusted guy, that guy open a little beyond the trusted target, it could change our offense in a massive way. I look forward to this being a thing of the past.

I'm very excited to see if we reach my hopeful estimation of what we can be this year.

We can tell who's wide open, because we are not on the field with big guys knocking us on our *** all game long.

The O.D.B, mikeg272, shock and 1 other like this

Understand the notion but not sure i agree... we are an equal opportunity offense... we actually set an nfl record for td passes to different receivers. The year you're referring to i believe the biggest issue was actually Matt going through his progressions. 

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I feel your intent.

But every QB has go to guys. Matt spreads the ball as well or better than most others. I don’t thinks it’s a problem. 

My issue with him is improvisation. When it’s clutch time and a play is called for a go to guy, and the defense keys in on it, he struggles recognizing it and moving on decisively, typically with pressure in his face. 

He has done better over the years.  But it’s apart of his DNA. When the game is on the line he’d rather go down with the ship running the coaches playcall to get the ball to ___, than bail out of it and make it happen on his own and find that open guy we all see in the replay after the fact.

he doesn't have nearly the time that Brady, Brees and some others have to go through his progressions. When he gets that kind of time, the whole offense will improve by leaps and bounds. He is a classic pocket passer, who seldom gets to stay in the pocket and look around. He has been forced out of the pocket way too often.

2 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

he doesn't have nearly the time that Brady, Brees and some others have to go through his progressions. When he gets that kind of time, the whole offense will improve by leaps and bounds. He is a classic pocket passer, who seldom gets to stay in the pocket and look around. He has been forced out of the pocket way too often.

This ^

My biggest issue with our FO is the continually field a sub-par OL until just recently. Once the OL improves and Matt has time - he demolishes defenses. 

dawgsjw and NeonDeion like this

I thought in 2016 we spread the ball around as much as any team in the league (could be wrong about that though). Hard to blame a guy for forcing it to Julio on some level too given the caliber of WR he is. AB and AJ Green get insane numbers of targets too.

He has to mean 2015

IN 2016 Matt Ryan threw TDs to a league record 13 different receivers

could not do that if you're forcing to JJ

I think Matt forcing it to Tony G is the only time it's ever been a problem. It's never been a problem with other receivers. At least in my opinion. You can look at any QB and watch enough games and film and see them missing open guys. It happens. Just a part of the game. Ryan spreads the ball around better than most QBs. Falcons very rarely have a game where Ryan only completes a pass to 4 or 5 different players. Nope, Falcons usually have 7 or 8 different players catching passes during games. I don't see how that can be expressed as Ryan forcing the ball to Julio or Roddy or whoever.

38 minutes ago, fincavigia said:

I thought in 2016 we spread the ball around as much as any team in the league (could be wrong about that though). Hard to blame a guy for forcing it to Julio on some level too given the caliber of WR he is. AB and AJ Green get insane numbers of targets too.

Oh, to be clear it's not a blame or bad on Matt Ryan thing. He targets guys who get s*it done, no issue there. I've just noticed in review of many of our losses over several years that, on critical plays there's way to often a supporting cast member in the background, in plain sight, that 6 times out of 10 could've converted (not the best odds but a cruel tease at what could be). 

The fact that our other WRs haven't build that level of trust is what I'm pointing out. Yes, Matt spreads the ball beautifully throughout the course of a game. It's crunch-time that I'm talking about. When defenders start leaning toward guys in the circle of trust before the snap.

I think Calvin will get into the circle of trust very quickly. I think that if he's in the background on those critical plays 1 of two things happen 1. JJ or other has less coverage on him because D has to respect CR, thus making an easier decision for Matt or 2. The ball goes over JJ to Ridley and boom, we have a much better chance of winning a game we might have lost in the past. 

This is not a complaining post, This is an excitement post. 

I think forcing the ball to Julio stems from Julio's ability to win 50/50 balls more than it does poor decision making from Ryan. Sometimes you gotta let your superstars have a chance to make a play. I think Ryan understands that. He's never been shy to throw in small windows, even before Julio was around. But yes, I'm also very excited to see what a guy known for creating separation does for Ryan moving forward. 

15 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

We can tell who's wide open, because we are not on the field with big guys knocking us on our *** all game long.

I remember the article before the 2016 season when Ryan talked about learning to throw to a spot instead of to the receiver. All season during his MVP year, that's exactly what he did. Last year, it looked like he completely forgot how to do that. He didn't have a lot of bad passes, but his timing with the receivers looked... off.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

6 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I remember the article before the 2016 season when Ryan talked about learning to throw to a spot instead of to the receiver. All season during his MVP year, that's exactly what he did. Last year, it looked like he completely forgot how to do that. He didn't have a lot of bad passes, but his timing with the receivers looked... off.

It didn’t change in 2017. He was still throwing to a spot. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I'll take your word for it. Timing just seemed off to me. Almost like he was less confident than he was the year before.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I'll take your word for it. Timing just seemed off to me. Almost like he was less confident than he was the year before.

He changed his mechanics in the offseason. Said that he didn't like his weight balance and thought he was too much on his back foot. There was a big article written about it and everything. Worst mistake he ever made.

JayOzOne likes this

21 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He changed his mechanics in the offseason. Said that he didn't like his weight balance and thought he was too much on his back foot. There was a big article written about it and everything. Worst mistake he ever made.

Actually, I remember that article as well. I didn't connect the dots, though. Thanks for the reminder; it brings things into better focus.

Falconsfan567 likes this

8 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

It’s the same WCO falcons were running in both 2016 and 2017. No disagreement on Receivers being out of sync or just dropping easy catchable balls.